Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
My husband and I are both experiencing severe battery drain since updating to 13.5, especially iPad OS on two different iPad models
check in settings/battery and see if you have an app that is constantly running in the background.

McRumour

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
FINDER BACK-UP

After updating MY iPad Mini 4 to iOS 13.5 my iPad fails to appear in Finder when connected to my MacBook Pro
(Catalina 10.15.4).

I want to do an iPad back-up to my computer (not to iCloud).
The device does appear when I open System Report ->System Information -> USB...so obviously, despite Finder failing to show it - it is being recognised by my MacBook when it's attached.

Have not had this happen after updating my iPhone. I backed it up, using Finder, with no issue.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any ideas about what to do to resolve it? Thanks....

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Anyone seeing excessive background app activity in battery settings? Speedtest, Best Buy, and Fox News app are all using constant background activity since updating to 13.5. This is happening on my iPhone and two iPads.

If I do not force close them, they are active in the background 100% of the time according to the battery usage in settings

I have all 3 of those apps and don't see any usage, 13.5, XS Max & 2018 12.9 Pro.

bolack

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Anyone seeing excessive background app activity in battery settings? Speedtest, Best Buy, and Fox News app are all using constant background activity since updating to 13.5. This is happening on my iPhone and two iPads.

If I do not force close them, they are active in the background 100% of the time according to the battery usage in settings

Same issue here, but with different apps since the update. On my iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 2020. Apps show background activities even if I´m not using my devices. Battery shows activities under the Screen Off section. Background refresh is off on both devices.

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I’ve made a few posts about this when I couldn’t figure out the issue but why the hell has Apple not fixed “View Full HDR” for Photos? It’s blowing out the highlights and adding unnecessary sharpness to bright photos. I was going insane trying to figure out WHY my photos looked so bad while viewing them but not when editing them in Lightroom and VSCO.

The need to tone it down, blowing out the highlights is not what this feature should be doing.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
My husband and I are both experiencing severe battery drain since updating to 13.5, especially iPad OS on two different iPad models

Do you happen to have Magic Keyboards attached? I’m experiencing the same and have been since getting the MK.

Reactions: gank41

Lincoln84

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2020
Battery life has taken a hit on iphone 7 plus(battery health 97%). 20 minutes of wifi browsing and 10%-15% of battery gone.

Driver_3

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Since updating ota to 13.5 I have noticed random apps to have background use in battery stats. I even restored 13.5 in iTunes but the problem still existed. I finally restored back to 13.4.1 which is still signed.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Not sure if its because of iOS 13.5 but I just had about 17 apps asking to be updated again even though they're the same version as the ones I already updated a few days ago.

Don’t think it’s iOS. I found the same on iTunes yesterday. I downloaded 50 updated apps and when I tried copying them to my backup folder they had the same version numbers as ones I had backed up 5 days earlier.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Don’t think it’s iOS. I found the same on iTunes yesterday. I downloaded 50 updated apps and when I tried copying them to my backup folder they had the same version numbers as ones I had backed up 5 days earlier.

Yes. This has been reported upon by MR and other outlets.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Same here..

Battery life on my IPP with Magic Keyboard seems much improved. I’ve been off a charger for 11.5 hours on my IPP and its still at 92%. Before, even on standby, it was gulping down battery at an alarming pace.

janec007

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
I updated today and I have issues with Air play and LG tv. When I want to play video or just share screen of iPhone and click on Airplay, phone is rebooted. Through Mac book it works normally.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I don‘t know if its a Facebook problem or not, but I still can’t type with the default apple keyboard or a physical keyboard on the facebook webpage. It always double tap the space bar every time so its impossible to type there. Its especially a problem on my iPad Pro when I prefer to use safari over the facebook app. This problem is there for a while now.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Skip ahead if you’re not having any issues with the Mail app:
My iCloud Mailbox in the Mail App hasn’t updated since last night on my iPad, and now I’m seeing this morning that my iCloud mailbox in the Mail app on my iPhone isn’t updating, either. And I’ve found this causes issues with the All Inboxes folder, too. The Mail App on my Mac is fine, and reflects what the web is showing. If I go to any of my other mailboxes on my iPad or my iPhone, any of those accounts folders I go to update immediately. I’ve even tried moving a few emails around in one of my Gmail accounts and in my outlook.com Email, and any changes are reflected right away on both my iPad and my iPhone. The app is working, just not working well with my iCloud account. I’ve reported this SO many times to Apple directly, and have mentioned it ad nauseum here in the forums, too. The only thing that keeps me posting about the Mail app is that there are still some, albeit few, folks who also have problems.. I’m trying to think what kind of commonalities there could be considering most people, it seems anyway, don‘t have the same problems. But then it’s hard to know if they’ve moved away from that app. Considering all that’s happened with Edison’s app and all the talk about not using 3rd party apps.. Whelp..

tl;dr The Mail app’s worked fine and then hardly worked at all depending on which of the fourteen iOS13 updates (not counting beta releases) I’ve been using. And when troubleshooting iCloud mail issues on an iDevice, it seems that the only “Mail” options are to toggle it off & on again. That seemed to work for about an hour Yesterday. I really don’t wanna have to use the Gmail app, but at least I’ve got dark mode there now.

I can’t believe, even with how horrible iOS13 has been, that there can be THIS MANY issues between releases with a core app like Mail. It feels like there’s just monkeys banging away at a typewriter or something. If only they could push out updates in the App Store for core apps like Mail.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019
I think I am noticing the same huge battery drain for the IPP 10.5 (256 GB, wifi+cel) using the 13.5... why all these versions are so horrible in terms of battery? Is this deliberate or incompetence? Or both?

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Skip ahead if you’re not having any issues with the Mail app:
My iCloud Mailbox in the Mail App hasn’t updated since last night on my iPad, and now I’m seeing this morning that my iCloud mailbox in the Mail app on my iPhone isn’t updating, either. And I’ve found this causes issues with the All Inboxes folder, too. The Mail App on my Mac is fine, and reflects what the web is showing. If I go to any of my other mailboxes on my iPad or my iPhone, any of those accounts folders I go to update immediately. I’ve even tried moving a few emails around in one of my Gmail accounts and in my outlook.com Email, and any changes are reflected right away on both my iPad and my iPhone. The app is working, just not working well with my iCloud account. I’ve reported this SO many times to Apple directly, and have mentioned it ad nauseum here in the forums, too. The only thing that keeps me posting about the Mail app is that there are still some, albeit few, folks who also have problems.. I’m trying to think what kind of commonalities there could be considering most people, it seems anyway, don‘t have the same problems. But then it’s hard to know if they’ve moved away from that app. Considering all that’s happened with Edison’s app and all the talk about not using 3rd party apps.. Whelp..

tl;dr The Mail app’s worked fine and then hardly worked at all depending on which of the fourteen iOS13 updates (not counting beta releases) I’ve been using. And when troubleshooting iCloud mail issues on an iDevice, it seems that the only “Mail” options are to toggle it off & on again. That seemed to work for about an hour Yesterday. I really don’t wanna have to use the Gmail app, but at least I’ve got dark mode there now.

I can’t believe, even with how horrible iOS13 has been, that there can be THIS MANY issues between releases with a core app like Mail. It feels like there’s just monkeys banging away at a typewriter or something. If only they could push out updates in the App Store for core apps like Mail.

I have the same issues, as do some others on this forum. The native Mail app mostly works for me - any new mail does now come in, and I do receive a lock screen notification for each. Work Exchange365 and iCloud. Exchange works all the time, no problems. iCloud not so much, but then it is the work emails I must get in a timely manner.
Have tried many other mail apps, but always gravitate back to Apple's abomination of an app, mainly because it does what I want - most of the time. I don't need split inboxes, nor do I need any other fancy feature. Outlook, Spark, Edison and more, tried them all.
I think you will find everyone - or most everyone - has given up reporting the app issues to Apple. They are well aware it is sometimes "broken" with Cloud (and for other accounts - for some people), and like you I just wish they would put some real effort into fixing it once and for all......

malloy0

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
I see reports of battery issues with the upgrade to 13.5, while so, experience suggests 1-2 weeks this will settle out, improve to the same as 13.4.1 which for my 8 has not been bad.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Apple mail app performance with updates to new messages to the INBOX after a pull down. This seems to be an issues since iOS 13 but this issue does not exist on iOS 12.x.x.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.