Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands
Some people reported a serious battery drain on 13.5.1, then 13.6 fixed it for some, worsened it for others, and now that 13.6.1 apparently solved all the issues, some people experience an even more severe battery drain.

Honestly I have an iPhone 8 with iOS 12 and I want to update to 13 but at this point I don’t know which one to install, 13.6, 13.6.1, or just keep waiting...
Just update, and don’t worry about it.

Reactions: sorgo †

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
On 13.6, I was getting circa 7.5 hours screen on time on my iPad Pro 11” 2018. Which was severely down from circa 10 hours on all other versions. 13.6.1 seems to have brought battery life back to normality ??.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I downgraded back to 13.6 on my XR (98% battery life) I updated as soon as it was released gave it a couple days, but the battery life on this release is horrible! I normally finish the day with 60%+ with this release it was between 35-40%

yes I set up as new besides contacts, as always and used DFU to update as always.

Reactions: Populus

iPhonNick

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
I'm running 13.6.1 on both my XS and SE 2016 and battery life is a bit better on both devices, compared to 13.6. On 13.6, battery life was a bit worse, but it wasn't a hard- software issue, it was probably the heat that made the battery last a bit shorter than before.
RAM management is better now, as apps are reloading less frequently, compared to 13.6.

Edit:
- Modem firmware on my SE 2016 updated to 9.71.01
- Carrier version KPN NL and Vodafone NL updated to 41.0
Wiki updated

Last edited:
Reactions: BBDDVV and Populus

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
This update is really solid for me coming from 13.5. Everything feels smoother (for real) and apps that used to jitter during scroll has stopped, like Apollo. Battery seems to be amazing too, but I have been using my phone a little less recently. iPhone 11 Pro with roughly 6 hours of usage over 3 days without charging, had 21% left.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Haven't noticed a difference at all since 2 days ago that I updated from 13.4.1. iPhone 11 Pro.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Did this feature install with 13.6? I'm still on that version and I got a notification that "13.1.6 has downloaded and will install tonight." What the heck?

I never had Automatic Updates on with previous iOS, I only noticed this new screen after I saw the notification. (Ended up turning off "Install IOS updates")

Nah...I'll update when I want to update.

mUqS6Rt.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did this feature install with 13.6? I'm still on that version and I got a notification that "13.1.6 has downloaded and will install tonight." What the heck?

I never had Automatic Updates on with previous iOS, I only noticed this new screen after I saw the notification. (Ended up turning off "Install IOS updates")

mUqS6Rt.jpg
You could pretty much always disable automatic installation, but since iOS 13.6 you can also disable automatic download.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

mUqS6Rt.jpg
You have to disable both options. That way it won’t download it without your consent. It was about time!

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

corruptdream

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
how is 13.6.1 ? worth to upgrade from 12.4 ? smooth, no battery heating or too fast drawing, no important bugs ( mail etc ) ? on iphone 8. thx.

NeoChecco

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Italy
Last night iOS 13.6.1 update started automatically. When I woke up this morning I found my iPhone X stuck on Apple logo and now is stuck on Recovery Mode. I tried to update directly from Finder on Mac OS Catalina (10.15.6) but the installation suddenly stops and shows "Error 14". I already tried what's written on Apple support page and I also downloaded third party apps. How can I solve this without losing data? (last iCloud backup on August 17th because I haven't had Wi-Fi over the last week). Thanks so much for your reply!

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I'm starting to realize my luck is running out with this problem as updates keep coming.

My issue is over notification banners requiring you to scroll all the way to the bottom of an unwanted/spam/unimportant email to find the option to delete it on the spot. It forces you to go thru the entire content when you really just want to get rid of it quickly and continue on with whatever I was currently doing.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I am being promoted to upgrade & install 13.6.1 on my iPhone which is currently using 13.1.2

Having now both a back up on iCloud and my MPB I am at decision time.

Any advice on the wisdom of the upgrade and any special precautions given the leap from 13.1.2?

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I am being promoted to upgrade & install 13.6.1 on my iPhone which is currently using 13.1.2

Having now both a back up on iCloud and my MPB I am at decision time.

Any advice on the wisdom of the upgrade and any special precautions given the leap from 13.1.2?

I gave in and updated on my XS Max and iPad Pro. No problems on my end at all. Battery life seems to be about the same.

If it did diminish, it may be minimal...to the point I'm not noticing it.

Reactions: StrollerEd

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Upgrade went smoothly- although all went quiet for while before rewarding me with welcome login screen. All seems well so far

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm starting to realize my luck is running out with this problem as updates keep coming.

My issue is over notification banners requiring you to scroll all the way to the bottom of an unwanted/spam/unimportant email to find the option to delete it on the spot. It forces you to go thru the entire content when you really just want to get rid of it quickly and continue on with whatever I was currently doing.
Does using Haptic Touch or 3D Touch help to get to those options quicker? Or if just getting back to what you are doing is the main goal then perhaps just flicking away (swiping up) the notification and then dealing with the message itself later (either from Notification Center or the app itself)?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
My 6s is still using ios 12. Fast, responsive. No issue, except annoying update request to 13.6.1 almost every day. Anyone feel the difference in ios 13 due to its missing 3d touch (even though 6s is 3d touch capable hardware). Also, do you feel sluggish on 6s after update?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My 6s is still using ios 12. Fast, responsive. No issue, except annoying update request to 13.6.1 almost every day. Anyone feel the difference in ios 13 due to its missing 3d touch (even though 6s is 3d touch capable hardware). Also, do you feel sluggish on 6s after update?
3D Touch is still there.

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
13.6.1 has been abusive to battery life on the 12.9 gen 2 and gen 3 that I own.
It seems to be the radios. I have to switch on airplane mode on both of them if I'm not using them.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I havent updated to 13.7 yet, the one major thing I've noticed on my XS Max running 13.6.1 is - whoa, the phone feels much warmer...almost hot now after using some apps.

Even shooting photos/video for a longer period of time...it really heats up in the back, just around the top, camera lens area (not the camera lens itself I THINK..it's whatever is behind or near it).

I really noticed this last night. Also check battery %, after 5-6 min of use...I'm down 9-10%!

smh!

My iPhone 5, 6+...both of those seemed to start having heat, battery performance issues just before the new phone came out. (I had the 8+..but only kept that one year)

So..IDK, maybe this current XS Max, almost 2 years old again is pulling the same nonsense.
Im looking forward to 12 Pro Max, but it does depend on what I see in the Keynote, new features...etc. If I'm not blown away, I actually just may get last years 11 Pro Max..at least it will be cheaper. (I still like that Midnight green)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I havent updated to 13.7 yet, the one major thing I've noticed on my XS Max running 13.6.1 is - whoa, the phone feels much warmer...almost hot now after using some apps.

I skipped 13.6.1 because I read a lot of similar comments but I did the 13.7 and everything seems really good, battery and performance speaking
iPhone 8Plus and 6s and iPad pro. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.