Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Anony-mouse

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2016
I skipped 13.6.1 because I read a lot of similar comments but I did the 13.7 and everything seems really good, battery and performance speaking
iPhone 8Plus and 6s and iPad pro. Good luck!

That is good for you. My iPhone 6S+ battery drains rapidly and shuts down randomly when battery charge is less than 50% on 13.7.

13.6.1 was much better behaved.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
That is good for you. My iPhone 6S+ battery drains rapidly and shuts down randomly when battery charge is less than 50% on 13.7.

It’s difficult, I know , every device is A unique combination of different apps , age and usage .
I hope you’ll sort it out. Can you go back to a backup with 13.6.1?

Anony-mouse

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2016
It’s difficult, I know , every device is A unique combination of different apps , age and usage .
I hope you’ll sort it out. Can you go back to a backup with 13.6.1?

Thanks for the suggestion, but reverting is too much effort. I‘m beginning to suspect a failing battery that is triggering due to iOS 13.7, and I probably should look into battery replacement as well.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I skipped 13.6.1 because I read a lot of similar comments but I did the 13.7 and everything seems really good, battery and performance speaking
iPhone 8Plus and 6s and iPad pro. Good luck!

That's good to know. I just may upgrade the XS Max and iPad Pro today.

I didn't have this heating issue before 13.6.1, I really noticed it again yesterday after heavy use, using Apple Maps for directions, some photo taking. Had it connected to my Mavic drone. :rolleyes: !

I did have the big battery drain from Dropbox constantly running in the background (Others had Apple Music sucking up battery) - This was around early-mid July...at this point I can't even recall what version that IOS was, there have been so many updates.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA

Ugh, sorry. This is why it's so hesitating to update - when I see posts like this. (Is it safe, it is stable??)
Almost feel its a crapshoot now...

Even though it's "unsigned", You can still grab the old 13.6.1 iOS from here. Restore the iPhone.
https://ipsw.me/iPhone8,2 (6S+)

I did update to 13.7. So far so good in the past 2 days...I haven't had heavy use with this so far like I did over the long weekend. Heating issue SEEMS to be a little better, (On 13.6.1 I would have it on my charger and it would feel slightly warm, that particular issue feels like it went away)

Battery life / drain seems about the same for now.

Reactions: katbel

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ugh, sorry. This is why it's so hesitating to update - when I see posts like this. (Is it safe, it is stable??)
Almost feel its a crapshoot now...
Pretty much any and every update will have posts of this nature where someone has some sort of an issue. For the most part it's not anything widespread and likely won't affect most, but certainly some can run into something odd here or there no matter what the update is.
Even though it's "unsigned", You can still grab the old 13.6.1 iOS from here. Restore the iPhone.
https://ipsw.me/iPhone8,2 (6S+)
You can still get the installer, but you won't be able to actually install it if it's not being signed by Apple.

Anony-mouse

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2016
Pretty much any and every update will have posts of this nature where someone has some sort of an issue. For the most part it's not anything widespread and likely won't affect most, but certainly some can run into something odd here or there no matter what the update is.
You can still get the installer, but you won't be able to actually install it if it's not being signed by Apple.

AFAIK, Apple has revoked signing of 13.6.1, so there is no way back.

In any case, I've replaced the battery. It seems to be stable now (1 day usage). Somehow 13.7 exposed a failing battery (86% capacity, replaced previously under the battery replacement program, but it would shut off anytime below 50% charge, and when plugged in resume from < 10% charge to 50% charge in a minute) which 13.6.1 was able to compensate for in terms of performance management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.