Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Looks like 13.6 added support for saved reading position in the News app.

This is a sorely needed feature, especially within News+ magazine articles which are often lengthy. I’m thrilled to see they’ve added it.

Note - in my testing, it seems there’s an intentional delay on saving reading position within an article. Opening an article, scrolling down, and immediately leaving the article won’t save the state. But as long as an article is open for ~30 seconds, it will then start to save the position.

This is fantastic! Does it work with articles that are saved to be read later?

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
This is fantastic! Does it work with articles that are saved to be read later?
It works on all News articles. Whether in your feed, saved, “free” or News+.

Now I‘m wishing there was some indication of whether an article is “in progress” (like in the Podcasts app) especially within the Saved list. But one step at a time, I guess.

Reactions: gwhizkids

fer_schez

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
República Dominicana
Is this new?
2E2D04D4-EF81-428A-B7FC-8095A7D339AE.jpeg

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
It works on all News articles. Whether in your feed, saved, “free” or News+.

Now I‘m wishing there was some indication of whether an article is “in progress” (like in the Podcasts app) especially within the Saved list. But one step at a time, I guess.
Very cool. While they're working on News, let's hope they add an option to turn off News+ so I'm not constantly being baited into spending more on services every time I click on an interesting looking article (the best ones are always News+).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Are we expecting 13.5.5 to come out of beta then? Two consecutive betas? Where's .6 beta 1? What is happening?
Where am I...? Help...
That’s the first time we are getting an .6 release
If you pay attention to the actual build numbering this was totally expected. The 13.5 builds were 17F and when 13.5.5 came out it was a 17G. When that second letter changes typically a new version gets assigned.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
IPP 11 G2 on PB
So frustrating. Posting a reply on Twitter and just as you click “Reply” you watch the words / spelling of your reply change into something you never intented.

When are they going to fix this?

and btw, Mail is still broken. Messages too.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
This version still doesn’t fix the overblown highlights and extra sharpness added to photos if “View Full HDR” is enabled in Settings > Photos.

Why anyone would like this feature on is beyond me and why Apple still hasn’t addressed this but is even more annoying!

Reactions: dk001

garetc

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
Scranton, PA
Connectivity has a breakdown when trying to connect to a VPN.

Loses Wi-fi and cellular when I try to connect to my personal and work VPN.

Using iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Last edited:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
If you pay attention to the actual build numbering this was totally expected. The 13.5 builds were 17F and when 13.5.5 came out it was a 17G. When that second letter changes typically a new version gets assigned.
That's not true. Both 13.0 and 13.1 had 17A. The letter denotes the Kernel version which has nothing to do with a point release. A point release is a point release when it introduces changes to the SDK.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
No, it does not. See 13.3, whitch was 17C and 13.3.1 was 17D.
The letter indicated the kernel version as TimFL1 said and has nothing to to with the version number itself.

Reactions: macintoshmac

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I don’t have a Mac so I cannot say anything to that. My phone, iPad, and watch all seems fine, just thought it was weird for the iPad to ask for my password for iCloud and iMessage. I guess they are working on those pieces of iPadOS.

yeh nah, the Mac os 10.15.6 beta 2 Catalina and latest IOS the Imessage is broken for usre, idid everything possible and nothing works properly, it will work for 10-15 minutes and not work again til i sign out and sign back in and it than its broken again

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
Audio cuts off during video calls. iPhone X. Tried FaceTime, WhatsApp and Instagram.

Anyone else?

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Anyone else still getting Amber alerts even though they're turned off?

I have been getting them since last year even with iOS 12, on my Xs Max, and now on my 11 Pro Max, but I figured mine had something to do with eSIM. I have Verizon on physical SIM and T-Mobile on eSIM. Alerts toggled off but still come through. Toggled off T-Mobile line and it stopped (left off 3 days) turned back on and they started again.

Reactions: mcvaughan

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I have been getting them since last year even with iOS 12, on my Xs Max, and now on my 11 Pro Max, but I figured mine had something to do with eSIM. I have Verizon on physical SIM and T-Mobile on eSIM. Alerts toggled off but still come through. Toggled off T-Mobile line and it stopped (left off 3 days) turned back on and they started again.

That makes sense. In addition to my primary Verizon line I have a Google Fi eSIM.

Thx

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I'm too lazy to reinstall 13.5.1 and redo all my apps, etc. May just wait for the next beta haha

All you need to do is download the 13.5.1 IPSW and then use iTunes or a 3rd party tool (I use iMazing) to simply overwrite the newer OS. I did this to get my iPad back from Beta 1 to 13.5. All my apps, password data, setups for Banking apps etc and touch-ID were retained.

This wouldn’t work between major releases but it’s fine between point releases.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.