Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
Got to test car play this morning and I think its off to a good start. The new layout while in a phone call looks much better.

The dual app feature is currently more of a gimmick, but an acceptable one. By this I mean when you hit the dual app button you see the map on the left and your audio player in the lower right.

carplay.png

The ONLY map it shows currently in Dual app mode is Apple Maps. If you want to use other maps such as Google Maps or Waze then you must use them in full screen mode. Hopefully this limitation is currently just because those apps have not been updated to iOS 13.

I notice in WAZE since my phone is in Dark Mode, that on screen on Carplay that it is also in Dark mode. (I hope they fix this, before it would use the light sensors in my car to automatically switch between light and dark mode. Just dark mode on the carplay screen is hard to read during the bright daytime.

The audio player in the lower right seems to be the same player no matter what audio service you are using, I don't see a real issue with that. The controls it offers you are 30 second skip back, Play/Pause and Skip Forward 30 seconds. If you want to change the channel you need to go back to full screen mode.

What I would like to see is the ability to change the provider for maps in dual app mode as I like to see traffic / police / hazard info from Waze.

In addition I would like to see Digital Radio Presets so I can just click on the radio preset I want and it opens up the proper app and plays the channel you select. Press the Howard Stern Preset and it opens SiriusXM app and plays the Stern Channel, Press the American Top 40 preset and it opens the AT 40 station from iHeartRadio, Press my favorite station from TuneIn and it opens tunein and plays its... etc. I could see a bar across the top of the screen with 5 or 6 presets, maybe even hold more presets by scrolling back and forth from left to right. This would be a HUGE safety improvement as now you wouldn't need to go to the Carplay home screen, then find and go into the app, then find the station you want to listen to and then click on it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This isn't a big functional change or anything, but I do like that they brought the time and the signal indicator up to the top left rather than having them appear sort of in the middle of things.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Do you have any photos of what the normal home screen looks like?

I quite like this layout - having the map there is quite helpful. Toyota has a similar screen on their own software, but you can add your favourite contacts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The thing I’ve liked most so far is that when I exit an app using my iPhone, it doesn’t exit the app on CarPlay. Now I can keep my podcast player going and then use ANY other app at the same time without it going back to the CarPlay home screen.
If that's how it works now with iOS 13, that's definitely another welcome improvement.

Reactions: lawrencejuliano

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I like it, but could not get Siri to work using my steering wheel button. The screen dims like the Siri animation is starting, but no sound effect or Siri appears.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
The thing I’ve liked most so far is that when I exit an app using my iPhone, it doesn’t exit the app on CarPlay. Now I can keep my podcast player going and then use ANY other app at the same time without it going back to the CarPlay home screen.

Really glad they changed that. That alone is worth it, but the other changes sound good as well. What does music look like when it is playing now? Same as before? Also - can waze take up the whole screen now too? Thanks!

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Yeah I'd love to see more screenshots in general if anyone's up for it. I can't install any betas but I'm very interested in carplay updates!

Chrisandy

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Yeah I'd love to see more screenshots in general if anyone's up for it. I can't install any betas but I'm very interested in carplay updates!
fdf89b54-2095-42d6-a24a-9b9318a7eeb0-800.jpg

Recently Played shows album art rather than a listing. The home screen is pretty similar - list of apps, although Calendar is added too. You can also go to Settings to toggle off auto dark mode or make it switch depending on time of day.
[doublepost=1559667307][/doublepost]
How do you put it in dual app mode?

+ 1 - very curious how this works.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Toggle out of Automatic for the colour scheme in Settings in CarPlay itself and then toggle it back on. It starts off in dark mode for some reason, even when it’s daytime.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

That's the only thing that really stood out as something I really want. This will be so much nicer.

Chrisandy

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
I would love to know this to. I didn't see a dual screen app when I looked at it this morning.

Thanks!
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/bwroyl/how_to_get_to_the_split_screen_view/

How do you put it in dual app mode?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/bwroyl/how_to_get_to_the_split_screen_view/
[doublepost=1559678152][/doublepost]
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Appreciate all the pix both here and the link to Reddit... my concern is how small the map will be with dual app mode... though I do like the look. My wife's Ford Edge has that screen layout in the native Sync3 screen... and I was hoping for something similar in the new CarPlay update... so I am split... will have to wait for another beta or two before I update my Xs Max.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I agree with you. I have a BMW with a wide screen and concerned too with the pics I have seen so far. Also - concerned with how small album art looks, as that would be a step backwards.

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
I don't suppose they've changed the icon setup strategy, have they? I'm talking about how you have to set up your home-screen icons for each individual vehicle, which is really annoying when you drive a lot of rental cars. I would really like to be able to set up my preferred icon layout once, and have it apply to any vehicle I connect my phone to.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I don't suppose they've changed the icon setup strategy, have they? I'm talking about how you have to set up your home-screen icons for each individual vehicle, which is really annoying when you drive a lot of rental cars. I would really like to be able to set up my preferred icon layout once, and have it apply to any vehicle I connect my phone to.

Sorry, no. It's still vehicle specific.

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
thanks. That's frustrating. It would seem that part of the intent of Carplay would be to have a consistent experience across vehicles, but that's not how it's set up.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

That is an awesome suggestion... have you relayed that to Apple?

It would also be quite helpful and my wife and I each have our own cars, but often switch cars for utility (SUV vs sports car)... it would be nice for each of us to set up our preferences and have them automatically available regardless of which car we find ourselves driving any given day. I know that we kind of have that option now, but why make us setup the same arrangement up multiple times for multiple vehicles?

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Last edited:
Reactions: QuarterSwede

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Probably the coolest feature, IMO, in CarPlay under iOS 13 is the fact that you can use your phone AND CarPlay simultaneously and independently ... and what is on one screen is no longer mirrored on the other. In the iterations of CarPlay in iOS 12 and prior, the connected iPhone had to display the same app ... Whether Messages, Music, Maps, etc. Now, you can continue to view the navigation screen on CarPlay and check email or messages on your phone without impacting the navigation display. Of course, you should only check your messages or mail on your phone while stopped at a traffic light, etc.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Probably the coolest feature, IMO, in CarPlay under iOS 13 is the fact that you can use your phone AND CarPlay simultaneously and independently ... and what is on one screen is no longer mirrored on the other. In the iterations of CarPlay in iOS 12 and prior, the connected iPhone had to display the same app ... Whether Messages, Music, Maps, etc. Now, you can continue to view the navigation screen on CarPlay and check email or messages on your phone without impacting the navigation display. Of course, you should only check your messages or mail on your phone while stopped at a traffic light, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if this "feature" reverts back by the time it's out of beta.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I've seen a few people mentioning this and it should only apply if a passenger needs to do something with the phone thats plugged in. In the UK if you checked your phone even whilst stopped at a traffic light its against the law as you are still in control of the car as shown on this page :-

The law still applies to you if you’re:
  • stopped at traffic lights
  • queuing in traffic
  • supervising a learner driver
For it to be legal to use your phone you have to be deemed as "safely parked" which i think means pulled up with then engine off where its safe and legal to do so. If you are doing that then the fact you can have the phone and carplay screen showing things independently isn't really an issue.

About the only time it would be any benefit for me would be if we had my wifes phone plugged in to charge whilst i was driving running the navigation and she wanted to use the phone to message, check something etc.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Interesting, with my wireless CarPlay in my BMW the phone has always been independent from what was displayed on the CarPlay screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.