Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Probably the coolest feature, IMO, in CarPlay under iOS 13 is the fact that you can use your phone AND CarPlay simultaneously and independently ... and what is on one screen is no longer mirrored on the other. In the iterations of CarPlay in iOS 12 and prior, the connected iPhone had to display the same app ... Whether Messages, Music, Maps, etc. Now, you can continue to view the navigation screen on CarPlay and check email or messages on your phone without impacting the navigation display. Of course, you should only check your messages or mail on your phone while stopped at a traffic light, etc.

I was very interested in this. It's frustrating that when you get a call that it takes over the screen from your maps application.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
The first time I drove with the new CarPlay beta the route was shown on a screen that was almost all white with a grayish grid. There were no other roads and the buildings outlines were so white as to be almost invisible. One new thing I noticed was the stop lights shown on the route.

When I drove back after disconnecting and powering off and on my iPhone things look much more normal, but I lost the stop lights.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
thanks. That's frustrating. It would seem that part of the intent of Carplay would be to have a consistent experience across vehicles, but that's not how it's set up.

Problem is, every vehicle has a different screen resolution and aspect ratio. Some show 4 icons in a row, some show 5. The very wide ones may show more, not sure because mine is 16:9. Even if they kept the order, the exact arrangement would vary from vehicle to vehicle, ruining that spacial layout that's so important to using a system that you're supposed to look at as little as possible. For instance, I would expect my Waze icon to always be bottom left, which is what I'm used to, but if I plugged in to a car with 4 icons in a row it would be the second icon on the bottom row instead. So to me, requiring a user to customize their setup for each vehicle makes sense.

Reactions: Ntombi

backontwo

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2014
I wish my Chamberline Gareage Door App would work with it.

When I pulled into my driveway, I noticed that the bottom right tile of the dual app screen showed the Home icon with my garage door status (I have the MyQ hub), but touching the screen didn’t do anything. I was able use Siri to open it, but it would be nice if I could just touch the screen and it open. I’m hoping this is just a bug.

Also, I’d like to see that garage door status show up when I first get in my car to leave the house.

Edit: I just went and tried again it does show the status when I get in to leave and it also does open and close by tapping on the screen. When I first tried it, my garage door was ‘stopped’ between open and closed, so maybe it didn’t know what to do with it and just did nothing.

I’m really loving the CarPlay updates so far! I hope they keep coming!

Last edited:

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
When I pulled into my driveway, I noticed that the bottom right tile of the dual app screen showed the Home icon with my garage door status (I have the MyQ hub), but touching the screen didn’t do anything. I was able use Siri to open it, but it would be nice if I could just touch the screen and it open. I’m hoping this is just a bug.

Also, I’d like to see that garage door status show up when I first get in my car to leave the house.

Edit: I just went and tried again it does show the status when I get in to leave and it also does open and close by tapping on the screen. When I first tried it, my garage door was ‘stopped’ between open and closed, so maybe it didn’t know what to do with it and just did nothing.

I’m really loving the CarPlay updates so far! I hope they keep coming!

I'm thinking about buying the hub just for this reason. Does Siri work in CarPlay for you. Whenever I press my steering wheel button for Siri the screen dims like it trying to launch the Siri animation, but it never launches.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I'm thinking about buying the hub just for this reason. Does Siri work in CarPlay for you. Whenever I press my steering wheel button for Siri the screen dims like it trying to launch the Siri animation, but it never launches.
Siri always works through Carplay for me either by pressing and holding the relevant steering wheel button or by using "Hey Siri" which always works even when travelling at motorway speed with radio\music on. I use it all the time to call people, set navigation going, reply to messages etc.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Siri always works through Carplay for me either by pressing and holding the relevant steering wheel button or by using "Hey Siri" which always works even when travelling at motorway speed with radio\music on. I use it all the time to call people, set navigation going, reply to messages etc.

Guess it's a bug in my install of 13.0 beta.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Got to test car play this morning

The ONLY map it shows currently in Dual app mode is Apple Maps. If you want to use other maps such as Google Maps then you must use them in full screen mode. Hopefully this limitation is currently just because those apps have not been updated to iOS 13.

Thanks for this detail. I only use Google Maps so it would be disappointing news to hear that the only map available in Dual Mode is Apple Maps.

If you wouldn't mind, please update this thread if you find out definitively if it's a Apple Maps only feature or if Google Maps works there too.

Thanks.

Reactions: Remington Steel

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Interesting, with my wireless CarPlay in my BMW the phone has always been independent from what was displayed on the CarPlay screen.
Strange to read this. I have a G31, with wireless CarPlay and whenever switching an app on the phone, it switches app on the car’s display...

Imho, the ‘feature’ of the new dual display principle, would not increase or decrease traffic safety. If you as a driver take your phone and open an other app, it may well be considered to be safer that your CarPlay display still is showing the same thing.

I mean: if you’re anyways currently able to do other things on your phone, it better not alter the flow of the car interface.

Your life might be saved by not having to spend that extra half second to swap the app on the car display...

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Interesting, with my wireless CarPlay in my BMW the phone has always been independent from what was displayed on the CarPlay screen.

That is strange as both of my BMW's are not that way. Wish they were though and both have wireless Carplay too.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I like it, but could not get Siri to work using my steering wheel button. The screen dims like the Siri animation is starting, but no sound effect or Siri appears.
For my car I press and release the button for 1 second to speak to the car ( a/c to 72 or request navigation via the car's built in navigation ) and three seconds to speak to Siri ( Siri appears in the display after three seconds ).

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Imho, the ‘feature’ of the new dual display principle, would not increase or decrease traffic safety. If you as a driver take your phone and open an other app, it may well be considered to be safer that your CarPlay display still is showing the same thing.

I mean: if you’re anyways currently able to do other things on your phone, it better not alter the flow of the car interface.

Your life might be saved by not having to spend that extra half second to swap the app on the car display...
Using your phone whilst driving is never going to be safe whatever the two screens are showing and their is a case that it will encourage folk to fiddle with phones knowing it wont change the car play screen. I cant see any reason for them being different.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Using your phone whilst driving is never going to be safe whatever the two screens are showing and their is a case that it will encourage folk to fiddle with phones knowing it wont change the car play screen. I cant see any reason for them being different.

Several scenarios have already been mentioned. The most obvious is when the passenger’s phone is connected to CarPlay for navigation and they want to use their phone for another purpose - phone call, texting, or playing a game.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Several scenarios have already been mentioned. The most obvious is when the passenger’s phone is connected to CarPlay for navigation and they want to use their phone for another purpose - phone call, texting, or playing a game.
Yes and i already mentioned this in an earlier post about it as a time when its possibly useful. I just think that this isnt going to happen that much as folk generally have their own phone to do all this on.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Probably the coolest feature, IMO, in CarPlay under iOS 13 is the fact that you can use your phone AND CarPlay simultaneously and independently ... and what is on one screen is no longer mirrored on the other. In the iterations of CarPlay in iOS 12 and prior, the connected iPhone had to display the same app ... Whether Messages, Music, Maps, etc. Now, you can continue to view the navigation screen on CarPlay and check email or messages on your phone without impacting the navigation display. Of course, you should only check your messages or mail on your phone while stopped at a traffic light, etc.
Does this mean I can have maps guiding me in CarPlay and then give my phone to my child so they can stream Netflix directly on the phone and everyone is happy?

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Does this mean I can have maps guiding me in CarPlay and then give my phone to my child so they can stream Netflix directly on the phone and everyone is happy?
Yes, unless you’re trying to listen to some audio from an app on that iphone...

You could choose to have them watch it with speaker sound, and fade the sound to the back. I been doin that with iPads, before Carplay existed. Helps to keep you and them focused...

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
S
That is strange as both of my BMW's are not that way. Wish they were though and both have wireless Carplay too.
Very strange, it’s very nice to have the phone independent from CarPlay, I get my kids to check the bank account, send texts, Snapchats, look up stuff online... the only thing that seems to affect the system is if they play a video then the sound of the video plays on my car speakers but does not change what is being displayed on the CarPlay display.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Very strange, it’s very nice to have the phone independent from CarPlay, I get my kids to check the bank account, send texts, Snapchats, look up stuff online... the only thing that seems to affect the system is if they play a video then the sound of the video plays on my car speakers but does not change what is being displayed on the CarPlay display.
Sure sounds like it. What model and year is your bimmer, if I may ask you? I’m very curious why it does that.
Also, which app is car play usually showing when the kids fiddle about with other stuff?

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Sure sounds like it. What model and year is your bimmer, if I may ask you? I’m very curious why it does that.
Also, which app is car play usually showing when the kids fiddle about with other stuff?
Mine is a 2017 340i xDrive, usually the screen is either on the CarPlay main screen, Spotify screen or SMS screen.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Has anybody had issues with CarPlay on iOS 13 beta 1? My iPhone XS Max is unable to connect to my Pioneer headunit after I updated to iOS 13 beta 1. Does my headunit require a firmware update to work with iOS 13 or it’s just my iOS 13 beta 1 having some bug issues.

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
That is an awesome suggestion... have you relayed that to Apple?

It would also be quite helpful and my wife and I each have our own cars, but often switch cars for utility (SUV vs sports car)... it would be nice for each of us to set up our preferences and have them automatically available regardless of which car we find ourselves driving any given day. I know that we kind of have that option now, but why make us setup the same arrangement up multiple times for multiple vehicles?

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Missed this response before. I had not relayed the suggestion, but I have now :) Thanks for the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.