Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I am confused as to why:

1. Apple downgraded this to Beta 4 after initially calling it a GM last Thursday.
2. The Beta 4 thread has still not been made sticky.

I have put 13.6 on 4 compatible devices and it runs as sweet as sweet. But I wonder if they have discovered a problem with it. If not then I expect it to be released tomorrow (Tuesday).

Reactions: chillip

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Should be there in about 5 minutes. All the hype has moved to iOS 14 betas now, IMO, hence no special announcements. ??‍♂️
[automerge]1594746015[/automerge]

Why? What’s wrong with the current release?

more fixes and stable version the better.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

But what is there to fix, actually? The current build looks as solid as they can get, so Apple could just call it a day for iOS 13 and focus all their energy on iOS 14 instead:

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
What’s the holdup with iOS 13.6? I wonder whether it’s regulatory/business agreements/corporate-ish stuff with Apple News+. They did announce an Apple News+ partnership with Verizon that starts Thursday, so maybe we’ll get 13.6 by then.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What’s the holdup with iOS 13.6? I wonder whether it’s regulatory/business agreements/corporate-ish stuff with Apple News+. They did announce an Apple News+ partnership with Verizon that starts Thursday, so maybe we’ll get 13.6 by then.
They just released beta 4 last week, so hard to say that there's something like a holdup.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
They just released beta 4 last week, so hard to say that there's something like a holdup.

Yeah, but Apple News+ Audio is still not live yet so I wonder whether it's related to that. I get audio story recommendations and audio briefings but I can't listen to any of them.

Reactions: ferretex

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

The GM is a release candidate, not a beta, meaning the build won't change from GM to public release and there will be no more fixes or changes in the software. While Apple has updated the GM build a few times before before public release, it's incredibly rare. They're likely holding back the release for other reasons.

Yeah, but Apple News+ Audio is still not live yet so I wonder whether it's related to that. I get audio story recommendations and audio briefings but I can't listen to any of them.

There being some sort of launch/activation hold up with Apple News+ Audio seems like the best explanation to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The GM is a release candidate, not a beta, meaning the build won't change from GM to public release and there will be no more fixes or changes in the software. While Apple has updated the GM build a few times before before public release, it's incredibly rare. They're likely holding back the release for other reasons.

There being some sort of launch/activation hold up with Apple News+ Audio seems like the best explanation to me.
The latest seems to be beta 4 (even if initially it might have been labeled/seen as a GM).

Last edited:

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
It was never labeled „GM“. Apple never uses that term at any time.
It‘s just assumed to be a GM by us, given the fact, that is has a „final“ build number (17G68) instead of a „beta-ish“ build like 17G5068a or something.

Reactions: Kylo83

AhRiHmAn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2016
France
It‘s just assumed to be a GM by us, given the fact, that is has a „final“ build number (17G68) instead of a „beta-ish“ build like 17G5068a or something.

When Apple seeded it , I went to the developer portal and it was labeled "GM" , it's only later that they changed it to beta 4

Reactions: Dwalls90 and nattK

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down

No, Apple did call it 13.6 GM initially before changing it to beta 4. Also, Apple had previously released a 13.5 GM prior to public release. So yes, Apple does use that term for point updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.