Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Anyone consider that this is normal behavior maybe due to the relatively new BT "offline" tracking component (using any nearby devices via BT)? Not necessarily causing any drain but I would think for "find my" to work it would have to know the devices location most all the time.

Last edited:

CarloC00

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017
Same issue here, I tried contacting apple hoping for a fix but they could not help me.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
There is iOS 14.4 beta out. Has anyone tried it to see of the issue has been fixed?

Juans

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
I may have found a solution (it is too early to tell). I had nhs covid tracking app which i think was the culprit. I deleted the app and find my iPhone stopped tracking location services. If you have any covid tracking app, then try deleting it and see if it makes a difference.

also go to settings, tap on your name, go to find my, then toggle off share my location. Then just there tap on find my iphone, leave find iphone to on but toggle off find my network and send last location. This also helps for me. Now despite find my iPhone is location services being turned on, there is no purple arrow for past hour or so.
Hi. Have your solution worked?

ghislane

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
Does anyone have an update on this? I installed 14.3 last night on my 11 pro max and have noticed on every iPhone unlock (say 5mins apart). The GPS arrow will show and checking the settings its indeed the dreaded purple "Find my Location".

my iPad Pro 14.3 with identical settings has been installed for about a week now and doesn't seem to have the same behavior (To behonest, I haven't paid as close attention on the iPad vs iPhone).

Hoping that its an post iOS install learning thing and it will settle down?

Keen to see how others are going with it.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
My update: The location arrow doesn’t appear that often anymore than it used to when I had installed iOS 14.3, but it’s still showing up more regularly than than it used to do with previous firmware updates.

ghislane

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
Update on my end:

So after 24hrs it seems to have settled down a bit (no changes in settings). It now checks periodically instead of on every unlock. No idea if this is part of a learning algorithm. Doesn't seem to impact battery life, I'm averaging 1hr SOT per 10% on my 11 Pro Max.

Just going to put it down to software weirdness and leave it at that (basically at the mercy of Apple).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I disable Find My iPhone! I can't stand seeing this arrow appearing all the time on the screen, in addition to a possible battery drain!
Maybe turn off "Status bar icon" in location>system settings if you dont want to see the arrow if its driving you that mad. It would be hard (impossible) for Apple to locate your phone if it doesn't send its location out. :)

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Maybe turn off "Status bar icon" in location>system settings if you dont want to see the arrow if its driving you that mad. It would be hard (impossible) for Apple to locate your phone if it doesn't send its location out.

I'm afraid it draining the battery unnecessarily, so I deactivated it. And it's easier for me to lose my wife than the device 😅

• Haha
Reactions: umzyi

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Just started happening (or maybe it was happening since I updated to 14.3 last week and never realized it) to my 12 Pro. I turned off FMI but I realized it isn’t worth it so I’ll live with the slightly less battery life until it gets fixed.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I'm afraid it draining the battery unnecessarily, so I deactivated it. And it's easier for me to lose my wife than the device 😅
Hahaha. I don't think its really causing that much battery drain and personally I suspect that even if it is causing a little less battery, (I can plug it in if its really necessary), its still far better than forking out $1000+ for a new device IF it were to get lost or even misplaced.

Reactions: secretanchitman

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Been seeing it a bit more often lately, sometimes even multiple times just some minutes apart while I'm simply browsing or doing something else (that doesn't require location services) on the phone.

Seems like it's showing up for somewhat longer periods of time than before too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.