Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghislane

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
10 days since my last update, still behaves very oddly. It might be controlled via server side?

When I'm at home under the same Wifi network, it will do it only every now and then. If I'm out and about on 4G, its back to the crap behaviour of coming on almost on every unlock.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
10 days since my last update, still behaves very oddly. It might be controlled via server side?

When I'm at home under the same Wifi network, it will do it only every now and then. If I'm out and about on 4G, its back to the crap behaviour of coming on almost on every unlock.
Yep same here. At home it's not too bad but outside of my house, it's almost constant when I unlock the phone!

Reactions: shadyman

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Has anyone reported this problem to apple?
Yes, submitted a report on feedback site and have received a reply from apple saying:
Investigation complete - works as currently designed.

Last edited:

ghislane

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
Believe I've got to the bottom of it. It seems to be something related to WIFI. For those that are still worried about this, try the following:

- When on WIFI (e.g. at home), you should only notice it kicking in every now and then. Maybe 1 in 5-10 unlocks (would class this as normal).

- When outside on LTE (With WIFI setting left on, aka not connected and scanning). Location services will almost trigger on every unlock and for long periods as well.

- On LTE, switch off WIFI from settings. It will search for location once or twice, after that it will be steady similar to on WIFI behaviour.

The above seems to be true for me and is completely manageable, also throughout this whole time there hasn't been a meaningful hit on battery at all. Still can pull 1hour of screen on time per 10% of battery on the 11 pro max which is completely normal.

Reactions: secretanchitman

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Believe I've got to the bottom of it. It seems to be something related to WIFI. For those that are still worried about this, try the following:

- When on WIFI (e.g. at home), you should only notice it kicking in every now and then. Maybe 1 in 5-10 unlocks (would class this as normal).

- When outside on LTE (With WIFI setting left on, aka not connected and scanning). Location services will almost trigger on every unlock and for long periods as well.

- On LTE, switch off WIFI from settings. It will search for location once or twice, after that it will be steady similar to on WIFI behaviour.

The above seems to be true for me and is completely manageable, also throughout this whole time there hasn't been a meaningful hit on battery at all. Still can pull 1hour of screen on time per 10% of battery on the 11 pro max which is completely normal.
In either scenario it's something that is happening in iOS 14.3 much more frequently than before.

Reactions: shadyman and Orka

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
This is feature now and working as expected, according to Apple on bug reporter system. We’ll have to live with it.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Juans

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
I'm thinking about doing this update anyway, since it solves important security holes. Is the battery affected so much with the GPS active for FMIP?

Juans

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
This morning I went to a crowded place after a long time (due to covid) and I encountered this problem, only I still have 14.2. I believe at this point that it is a server-side activated feature that is accentuated when there are more iPhones nearby and it’s not a problem caused by an ios version. This also explains why many people experience this problem more when they are away from home

Juans

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
Forget it, I just updated to ios 14.4 and now the gps activates very often apparently with no reason, even at home with wifi (among other things it activates every time it connect to wifi). So it's not only server side update, but ios works this way too. I think apple should improve it a little bit

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
GPS really keeps accessing constantly and without a specific rule. I'm strange about the delay in solving this and the small number of people who noticed this weird operation of Find My iPhone.

Juans

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
As someone has already written, when you are out and not connected to wifi but with the wifi search activated, the gps always accesses, if you turn off the wifi it happens much less

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.