Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
Battery removed.

I only noticed because a white patch appeared on the screen middle right. As I have a case, I couldn’t see the bulge. As soon as I removed the case, it was bulging. I removed it, so the screen goes back to normal (which it has already).

I ordered a 95-100 battery health genuine battery from eBay from Apple breakers who tear down phones and sell the parts. Better than a copy battery that will bulge again.

I will instal and report back in a few days when the replacement battery arrives.
*heavy sigh*

The battery you ordered is fake. They will make all manner of claims, but the chances of it being genuine are 1%. And you're talking about the grey market that is basically trumped up on stolen phones and are parted out. Way to go pal.

You will likely not be able to repair the damage done. Screens are especially susceptible and there is almost 0 tolerance in the device for, well, much of anything. You saved $30, congrats. Which ultimately is getting eaten up by this new battery.

Moreover, if you took it to Apple for a legit battery replacement, you'd likely walk out of there with a brand new refurb, which is essentially a brand new device as Apple has plenty of 6Ses on hand and often it is more cost effective and cheaper than to order a manual repair on site. This will depend on solely on the Genius serving you.

The software you used to DFU your device is not safe. It may use iTunes whatever, or Apple official tools whatever, but it also brings in its own code during the process.

This is exactly why Apple fights so hard to prevent self servicing. Because unqualified people mangle them and then try to lie when they inevitably bring them into a store for repair.

As harsh as this sounds, you are far more likely to blow yourself up judging by your posts.

idk.
[automerge]1596105747[/automerge]
Planned obsolescence lol.

The rumor that apple deliberately messes up the battery life on old phones to make you purchase the newer ones.
When dumb people are given a voice.

The real reason is that the A9 is ancient. Compared to more modern devices, it likely struggles on many small operations. And chokes on big ones. This means, compared to say an A12 that may be running on average at 40%, the A9 may be running at 65% on average. Worse yet, it may see large spikes of 100% cpu/gpu usage. This means you're already demanding twice as much from the battery.

Newer phones don't have better batteries. They all contain the same lithium polymer design. New devices may consolidate the power a bit better, but that is still unlikely. The truth is, iOS just demands more from your older device.

Apple throttled the chip only in the event that the battery health was so poor, it resulted in a total system shutdown. They ought to have implemented some kind of notice for the user, but that is not Apple's way. They want things to just work. They deliberately don't shove settings in your face because they feel that when a system is set up properly, you don't need them. In retrospect it was dumb; everyone makes mistakes. And they likely never thought people this stupid to raise pitch forks over the matter, but here we are.

I can't even wrap my head around the idea that a company would cripple a particular line of devices. Moreover, every Android handset, even flagship models that are comparatively priced, only receive about 2 years of updates, at best. Nobody is claiming Google, or HTC, or Huawei or whomever are doing the same thing. Even despite their business model actually looking like it's trumped up on that premise.

The antipathy against Apple sometimes is just insufferable.

Last edited:

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
*heavy sigh*

The battery you ordered is fake. They will make all manner of claims, but the chances of it being genuine are 1%. And you're talking about the grey market that is basically trumped up on stolen phones and are parted out. Way to go pal.

You will likely not be able to repair the damage done. Screens are especially susceptible and there is almost 0 tolerance in the device for, well, much of anything. You saved $30, congrats. Which ultimately is getting eaten up by this new battery.

Moreover, if you took it to Apple for a legit battery replacement, you'd likely walk out of there with a brand new refurb, which is essentially a brand new device as Apple has plenty of 6Ses on hand and often it is more cost effective and cheaper than to order a manual repair on site. This will depend on solely on the Genius serving you.

The software you used to DFU your device is not safe. It may use iTunes whatever, or Apple official tools whatever, but it also brings in its own code during the process.

This is exactly why Apple fights so hard to prevent self servicing. Because unqualified people mangle them and then try to lie when they inevitably bring them into a store for repair.

As harsh as this sounds, you are far more likely to blow yourself up judging by your posts.

To be honest, there is no real way to tell if it is genuine or not. But for the money (less than £7) I now how a working iPhone with decent battery life. It will do me for a year till I replace the phone. I used to be a senior laptop engineer, so replacing the battery is no problem to do.

The screen is back to normal. They have a decent amount of bending before they break (I know, I have tested on laptop panels). Mine was lifted slightly and is fine.

After the DFU (and battery replacement) the phone seems fine.

I agree, there are a lot of dodgy repairers out there. I have seen it myself when customers have tried to upgrade a laptop and made a mess of it. But, it's usually very easy to spot. If something went wrong with my phone, I would replace the part myself or buy another one.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have never ever battery life this good from the iPhone 6S

Attachments

• 9E0C376F-C1F8-4D84-991B-7715247D0E60.png
    9E0C376F-C1F8-4D84-991B-7715247D0E60.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I have never ever battery life this good from the iPhone 6S

Is that on your eBay battery?

My 6S battery really sucks on iOS 14, but it sucks in an odd way. There’s almost zero standby drain but it’ll drop like a rock when actually in use. It stabilizes around a few points for a while (95-100%, 70-74%, 50-60%) but plunges rapidly between those points.

Battery health says 87%. Seems low to me. Got the phone refurbished straight from an Apple store last March. Wonder if I have a bad cell.

My previous 6S had an Apple certified battery replacement done that failed after two months. Maybe 6S batteries are just inherently defective?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Is that on your eBay battery?

My 6S battery really sucks on iOS 14, but it sucks in an odd way. There’s almost zero standby drain but it’ll drop like a rock when actually in use. It stabilizes around a few points for a while (95-100%, 70-74%, 50-60%) but plunges rapidly between those points.

Battery health says 87%. Seems low to me. Got the phone refurbished straight from an Apple store last March. Wonder if I have a bad cell.

My previous 6S had an Apple certified battery replacement done that failed after two months. Maybe 6S batteries are just inherently defective?
Yes. The battery is a genuine Apple battery removed from an Apple iPhone 6S. Cycle count was 22 and it was Slightly over the usual size.

my battery seems ok on iOS14. Sometimes it drains faster than normal, sometimes it doesn’t. Betas are usually battery hogs (Same for apps not optimised for the new iOS). I would wait till ios14 is officially released before assuming the battery has a problem.

try coconut battery and see how many cycle counts it has and how it compares to a new battery?

Reactions: Vivian125

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Yes. The battery is a genuine Apple battery removed from an Apple iPhone 6S. Cycle count was 22 and it was Slightly over the usual size.

my battery seems ok on iOS14. Sometimes it drains faster than normal, sometimes it doesn’t. Betas are usually battery hogs (Same for apps not optimised for the new iOS). I would wait till ios14 is officially released before assuming the battery has a problem.

try coconut battery and see how many cycle counts it has and how it compares to a new battery?

Coconut battery tells me my total capacity is only 82% (dividing current total capacity by original manufactured capacity) while my cycle count is only 334. Seems a little off.

System battery health thingy says 87%, which is what it should be judging by cycle count alone.

Hopefully the official iOS 14 release helps, but if not, there are some batteries on Amazon for cheap that get good reviews. I've opened iPhones plenty of times so it's no big deal.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Coconut battery tells me my total capacity is only 82% (dividing current total capacity by original manufactured capacity) while my cycle count is only 334. Seems a little off.

System battery health thingy says 87%, which is what it should be judging by cycle count alone.

Hopefully the official iOS 14 release helps, but if not, there are some batteries on Amazon for cheap that get good reviews. I've opened iPhones plenty of times so it's no big deal.
It could still be a dud battery. The reason I replaced the battery is because it was showing 100% health in iOS, and full mAh using coconut battery.

The new one shows the correct manufacturer for the battery, the previous one had no company name.

I remember watching a video on YouTube where a device can be used to reset the battery cycle count, change the mAh etc.

Glad I replaced mine.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
I won't update my 6s to iOS 14 for now then, considering how worn out its battery is already...

DAC605FA-BF76-48C8-B311-35B11EC27869_4_5005_c.jpeg

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
It could still be a dud battery. The reason I replaced the battery is because it was showing 100% health in iOS, and full mAh using coconut battery.

The new one shows the correct manufacturer for the battery, the previous one had no company name.

I remember watching a video on YouTube where a device can be used to reset the battery cycle count, change the mAh etc.

Glad I replaced mine.
Knock off batteries tend to always show 100% health or fluctuate (randomly and fake) at 95+. Cycles can also be faked too (ive seen one where it always say 1 cycle). Like the other person said, 99% of all batteries on eBay are fake regardless of what they say. No one will ever admit it’s a fake. It’s better to buy new from apple if you intend to use the phone for some time.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Knock off batteries tend to always show 100% health or fluctuate (randomly and fake) at 95+. Cycles can also be faked too (ive seen one where it always say 1 cycle). Like the other person said, 99% of all batteries on eBay are fake regardless of what they say. No one will ever admit it’s a fake. It’s better to buy new from apple if you intend to use the phone for some time.
My first battery was a generic one and it was useless.

This one is from an Ebay company that breaks up iPhones. It looks like a real iPhone battery, same details in coconut battery and battery life is great. I suspect it is a real one.

But, it's easy to fake and change the figures. Let's see how long this one lasts! :)

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Definitely looks like I've got a bad battery. iOS battery health still says 87%, but CoconutBattery is telling me it's suddenly plummeted to 60% of initial capacity. Only 1029mAh now, down from the 1715mAh original. Pretty quick degradation, over 300mAh less in a matter of days.

Kind of sucks, this phone is barely a year and a half old. At least replacements are cheap...

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I've always had best battery life from iFixit. Likely genuine Apple batteries for old phones like the 6s have been sitting in the warehouse for years, because Apple has the smarts to project how many replacement batteries they'll need over the expected lifespan of the product, order them all, then let that production line retool.

Example: I had my 6s+ battery replaced by Apple for their $39 dollar special due to the lawsuits.

It lasted 6 months then died.

I replaced it myself with the Ifixit battery. Still going strong with fantastic life, still showing 100% health.

Also I'm staying on 13.4

No more fake slowing and battery killing by Apple for me. Wish I'd stayed on 12, but I hadn't wised up yet.

Enjoy your wigits.

I played with them in 2010 in my android phone. I'm over wigits ?

Reactions: AAPLGeek

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
iFixit battery installed today. Already seems much improved. With my old battery, the slightest load on the processor would send the percentage crashing down. Now it's draining much slower under heavier usage. Anxious to see the results of my normal routine tomorrow.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am currently running iOS 13.7 on my iPhone 6s+. For those who are running the official iOS 14 release, what is your battery life like running on iOS 14 on your 6S+?

Last edited:

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
I am currently running iOS 13.7 on my iPhone 6s+. For those who are running the official iOS 14 release, what is your battery life like running on iOS 14?

I finally updated my 6s to ios 14 and the battery seems slighty better. It is a safe update id say. Just watch out for some widget's background activity.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
iFixit battery installed today. Already seems much improved. With my old battery, the slightest load on the processor would send the percentage crashing down. Now it's draining much slower under heavier usage. Anxious to see the results of my normal routine tomorrow.
Congratulations on the install! Prying the glued screen off a 6s is scary the first time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.