Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Yeah, what's the point of pimping out niche features in a presentation if the core functionalities for many people are buggy.

This yearly OS version releases needs to stop. It only put pressures on the software team to make up some features worthy to be presented instead of really ensuring the OS is great inside and out for the existing functionalities.
Some features are for sure niche. But a few others like scribble on iPad are actually really cool and useful. The problem is as you state a lot of core functionality is being broken or partially broken in recent years.

Honestly I don't think average people care about new features anymore. The iPhone 12 sold like hot cakes and in the end all it was to most people was a slight redesign and better cameras. THATS IT. It's all momentum at this point for Apple. We used to DROOOOOL over new stuff like cut and paste and the app store. Now cut and paste is buggy and the app store is mostly annoying. There are swarms of people simplifying the hell out of their device now getting rid of all the garbage. The phone is utility at this point.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I really hope the 6s is not dropped. I mean there's no real reason it cannot handle iOS15, especially if the iPhone 7 is still supported. The A9 is basically a slower A10 minus the efficiency cores. The performance cores are relatively similar, other than the A10 being obviously a faster/more optimized variant. Also, considering the 6s until the 8 only have 2GB of RAM, I really don't see why the 6s need to be dropped.

A9 verse’s iPod Touch’s A10 I can agree but the other A10 devices even without high efficiency cores are actually more faster and more optimized especially with battery life and the battery itself in which A9 SoC had to sacrifice some of the battery since iOS 13 in order to make it stable

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
A9 verse’s iPod Touch’s A10 I can agree but the other A10 devices even without high efficiency cores are actually more faster and more optimized especially with battery life and the battery itself in which A9 SoC had to sacrifice some of the battery since iOS 13 in order to make it stable
The A10 gains better battery life thanks to the efficiency core. Plus, the 6s has such abysmal tiny battery to begin with, so it's not really fair to simply say the A9 has worse battery life. But OTOH, imo performance shouldn't be an issue with the A9, thus me hoping it won't get dropped arbitrarily.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
The A10 gains better battery life thanks to the efficiency core. Plus, the 6s has such abysmal tiny battery to begin with, so it's not really fair to simply say the A9 has worse battery life. But OTOH, imo performance shouldn't be an issue with the A9, thus me hoping it won't get dropped arbitrarily.

the 7 and the especially the iPod Touch 7G’s battery mah’s aren’t any different from the 6s to begin with, the 7’s is a bit bigger in capacity but small, the touch’s one is even smaller though the A10 is a lot more efficient even without the high efficiency cores ( since it clocks at a lower speed).

the A9 has some good battery life especially compared to the A8 but I had a 6s from iOS 10 until iOS 13 and SE from iOS 9-iOS 14 nd I have personally noticed for both devices battery life has gotten worse since iOS 13, and plenty of people have been saying on this forum the same thing too.

performance for A9’s isn’t an issue with iOS 14 but I think considering A8X iPad Air 2’s multicore score wise in Geekbench 5 is similar to the A9’s score and the A8X has some better technology suited for it than the A9, I believe if it goes the A9 devices go too

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
ZERO new features. Only support for new devices.

Apple software quality control has been garbage in recent years. They need to perfect as much as possible whats existing now. For every feature they introduce, one always gets gimped.
Agreed. I’d much rather apple now focuses on stabilising what they have (on iOS at least - see my post above). I’d love iOS 15 to be like another iOS 12. Just super stable and even faster than the previous release.

No no features please just QoL improvements - and focus also into bringing all of Apple’s platforms into sync.

Reactions: jonnyb098

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Agreed. I’d much rather apple now focuses on stabilising what they have (on iOS at least - see my post above). I’d love iOS 15 to be like another iOS 12. Just super stable and even faster than the previous release.

No no features please just QoL improvements - and focus also into bringing all of Apple’s platforms into sync.
iOS 12 was definitely one of the best updates that was released in many years from a stability perspective.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I’m not sure if I want this or not, but I suspect iOS 15 will resemble Big Sur icons with the skeuomorphic design.

Reactions: TimFL1

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
We’ll be able to check the speculation Vs the real thing on June 7th, assuming Apple follows tradition and shows us the first beta on the first day of WWDC.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
So, we're 9 months after our first view/hands-on iOS 14 Dev beta 1. In recent history most WWDC's were in the first half of June, so that means we're less than three months from our first look on iOS 15. We know all the features of iOS 14.5 which probably is the last .X update for iOS14 so the time for speculation is here.

Let's discuss everything you hope and/or expect to see in iOS 15?

I'll start;

- iPhone 6s get dropped
- More U1-related stuff
- Widgets will get new features, maybe even become simple, small apps.
- HomeKit love: more categories
- More service features, ie Fitness, News, etc
- More app library options/features
- More notification options (I sure hope that)
- Siri-features, especially for multiple devices. (Siri responding on the wrong device)
- Shortcuts: more triggers/actions

So, what do you guys think?

Edit: speculation ends Jun 7th: WWDC 21.
this is a wish list thread not a speculation one change it

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
plz remove this, its in the wrong page wait for iOS 15 forum post
The next major releases are always speculated in the current ones board until the new one goes up... drop your derailing, we get it you feel this shouldn‘t be called like your release speculation topic... but that‘s peak nitpicking since we‘re free to speculate about what iOS 15 may contain.

If this is somehow breaking some random forum rule, the mods will handle it. Until then, speculate.

thenetstud

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
You forgot about the new SE. While this certainly would be a bold move, I don’t think Apple would do it.

My wishlist for iOS 15 is,
  • UI update
  • Always on display for OLED iPhones
  • More Control Center toggles
  • The ability to change the buttons on the Lock Screen
  • More live and dynamic wallpapers
  • Widgets you can interact with
  • Better support for custom icons / themes (I know this has a very slim chance of happening though)
  • Split screen multitasking for plus / max sized phones
  • More Portrait Lightning modes
  • An updated settings app
  • More useful weather app
  • A “pro mode” for the camera app (manual controls)
Yes to all of this!

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

Heruhur

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Oldebroek
not exactly ios15 related I think . . . . but fitness+, news+ and one premier in europe/netherlands would be no.1 on my wishlist.
MUI support would be very welcome:
- with on the fly user swap
- work account and private account on one phone (and dual-SIM coupling of those accounts)

Brian1230

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2021
Hopefully an easier way to remove the Covid-19 tracking. Don’t want it, won’t use it and it was a pain to get rid of.

Reactions: Frantisekj

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
A couple simple things.

Give us a “clear all tasks” button in the multitasking switcher.

Allow us to move the PIP window anywhere we want instead of fixed positions.

Expand “look around” to more locations

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
My small wishes:

• optimization over blockbuster features
  • fixing bugs and features in same main release number they were introduced not in next major release that is not compatible with hoard of old phones. Like in iOS 14 not in 15. I know I can dream, it is free.
  • sharing data from Messages. We still can not share anything from Messages and other messengers to other messengers or mail or whatever, Apple!!!
  • putting data into messages like contacts easily. Even old feature phone Nokia knew to enter contact into message easily. Any free iMessage app I tried is lame and unusable. No, sorry, sharing from Contacts is not solution.
  • iMessage apps become any keyboard apps
  • more languages for Siri and Siri translation
  • ability to operate Siri in one language but dictate message in other, in any language voice dictation is available for
  • translation service build into user interface, keyboard. Not sure if it is old SE limitation but I can not copy Siri translation to use it. It renders it just gimmick.
  • QuickType keyboard prediction for rest of European languages!!!! Apple it is 15 iteration of iOS already!!!!
  • small compact widgets that combine many data like time, date, temperature, battery level. Ideally size of two icons. That is my only desire concerning customization.
  • Private, G-board like keyboard, that allows entering wide are of data especially from internet into text
  • interface that would allow me not just silent notificaiton for app but turn it back on from notification centre
  • share sheet speed up. Takes ages to pop up.
  • eliminate all places where you can loose data you have written when phone asleep. Still happens rarely. like sending message via sharing.
  • fixing hoards bug reports I sent.... oh another dream lol
  • i would forgot but was mentioned. Make maps worth in my country as well.
Some bigger overhaul
  • one step spotlight search like on mac. Probably only solution is to put it back into notification center
  • conversation based language App settings. I use many languages and it is horrid experience. Apps or iOS need to remember what language I used with particular person/conversation not in last app because I am talking to people not to apps. Constantly writing with wrong keyboard. I have 8 of them.
  • Storage API that will give any app that support it full access to Photos and cloud files without any special programing on app side. I am sick of lame or outdated pic/file pickers in many apps.
  • App store search results that take device in account and do not show me hoards of results that are not compatible with my old iPad or so.
  • Or ability to get app into my account even I can not download it on particular device.
All as I can remember now.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
• Mail overhaul: an update of the ageing mail app rewritten in swiftUI and fully cross platform ie the Mac. Includes snoozing messages etc. This may however be a 16 item due to the pandemic. You really don’t want to mess up a new version of Mail.
I don't know, they seemed to be OK messing up the old version in IOS 12.

• Haha
Reactions: bluecoast

MJJGiu

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
This is the list of things I desire and want for iOS 15:

1 - This will never happen, but I would really like a setting that allows me to manage how applications are in the background. I hate having to be in the application, otherwise if I go out a loading stops, or the application reloads and I lose everything I was doing after only a minute. It is not possible and this is ridiculous, such a powerful device really cannot handle two or three applications at the same time? It is clearly a limitation imposed by the system, I wish I could at least decide how certain things are handled. Working with the iPhone is frustrating for this very reason. I get angry that these devices are able to manage Gameplay smoothly and then if I'm writing an email and in the meantime I would like to send a document, if I don't do it quickly, the applications reload.

2 - Possibility of setting a completely black Dark Mode and letting users choose between the current one and the new one. For those who have OLED screens it is absurd to see that bad gray in the settings, for example, I would like to have the opportunity to have a really dark version.

3 - Possibility to choose the colors of the Display and the contrasts to your taste. Currently the filters that exist are really limited and not very useful, I would like more customization from this point of view. Why the hell not to let me choose how I want to display the colors and contrasts of my device?

4 - A quick toggle to activate and deactivate GPS from the control center. Are we really in 2021 and we have to ask for a simple check to do such a trivial thing?

5 - I would like the Widgets to be resized to my liking, and above all that they are usable. For example, it is useless to have the Widget of a browser if I cannot interact. Current widgets are just plain useless links, in my opinion.

6 - We know that in the latest models the 3D Touch has been removed, well, I loved the speed of that touch. Since they put this alternative that simulates 3D touch, that's okay, but could they speed up the animation? So it would be almost identical, as it is, it's quite frustrating.

7 - It is not the thing I want most, if there will be I appreciate it, but I would like a slight graphic restyling of the icons, I would not mind if they were in the Big Sur style, for example.

8 - Last thing, I would like to have the ability to delete and clear the cache in applications. Currently to do this you have to hope that the applications allow it, or delete and install again. I hate doing this and I would like a feature implemented to speed up this process.

These are the things that I really want and that would make iOS much more complete, in my opinion. But yes, I'm fantasizing, I know ?.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
My small wishes:

• optimization over blockbuster features
  • fixing bugs and features in same main release number they were introduced not in next major release that is not compatible with hoard of old phones. Like in iOS 14 not in 15. I know I can dream, it is free.
  • sharing data from Messages. We still can not share anything from Messages and other messengers to other messengers or mail or whatever, Apple!!!
  • putting data into messages like contacts easily. Even old feature phone Nokia knew to enter contact into message easily. Any free iMessage app I tried is lame and unusable. No, sorry, sharing from Contacts is not solution.
  • iMessage apps become any keyboard apps
  • more languages for Siri and Siri translation
  • ability to operate Siri in one language but dictate message in other, in any language voice dictation is available for
  • translation service build into user interface, keyboard. Not sure if it is old SE limitation but I can not copy Siri translation to use it. It renders it just gimmick.
  • QuickType keyboard prediction for rest of European languages!!!! Apple it is 15 iteration of iOS already!!!!
  • small compact widgets that combine many data like time, date, temperature, battery level. Ideally size of two icons. That is my only desire concerning customization.
  • Private, G-board like keyboard, that allows entering wide are of data especially from internet into text
  • interface that would allow me not just silent notificaiton for app but turn it back on from notification centre
  • share sheet speed up. Takes ages to pop up.
  • eliminate all places where you can loose data you have written when phone asleep. Still happens rarely. like sending message via sharing.
  • fixing hoards bug reports I sent.... oh another dream lol
  • i would forgot but was mentioned. Make maps worth in my country as well.
Some bigger overhaul
  • one step spotlight search like on mac. Probably only solution is to put it back into notification center
  • conversation based language App settings. I use many languages and it is horrid experience. Apps or iOS need to remember what language I used with particular person/conversation not in last app because I am talking to people not to apps. Constantly writing with wrong keyboard. I have 8 of them.
  • Storage API that will give any app that support it full access to Photos and cloud files without any special programing on app side. I am sick of lame or outdated pic/file pickers in many apps.
  • App store search results that take device in account and do not show me hoards of results that are not compatible with my old iPad or so.
  • Or ability to get app into my account even I can not download it on particular device.
All as I can remember now.
I remembered some more:

1. one hand camera zoom for single lens phone. Mean in fact one hand digital zoom. Who come up with idea that zoom slider will appear only after you zoom with two fingers first. Where is one hand use Apple mantra?

2. I would definitely welcome Shortcuts improvement. I use only one that does reverse image search on Google. But to be honest I was not able to create single valuable shortcut by myself. Recording feature like Automator in macOS has would be really helpful.
  3. I heard or saw some really sophisticated shortcuts made by others like reposting their videos with all needed data and titles on Youtube and elsewhere. I just watch it with open mouth and silently being jealous. No way I could do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.