Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
No, I have called out the hypocrisy of your posts. On one hand you can't say the environment is going under and on the other hand, this option is useless. Unless one can predict the future, all you have is a bad opinion, imo.

Its not hypocracy to state the truth. The earth WILL warm. At this point there is nothing you can do about it.

I'll take a chance. No harm, no foul.

So we might as stop every environmental initiative then? Right?
Pick whatever “environmental initiative” you wish.
But until you get buy in from the major emitters, you will be ineffective. The USA alone cannot reduce global warming; the other countries must also do so. Currently, Congo is increasing oil leases and many countries are increasing oil/gas production to “combat rising prices”. Deforestation of the Amazon basin is increasing.
Also melting permafrost currently produces 40% of global methane emissions and is increasing.
Same w/ natural CO2 production.

Theres nothing you can do to change that.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Its not hypocracy to state the truth. The earth WILL warm. At this point there is nothing you can do about it.
I'm not debating the future of the earth, that's out of my paygrade. I'm debating your assertion this will "do nothing". You can't prove it will do nothing,
Pick whatever “environmental initiative” you wish.
But until you get buy in from the major emitters, you will be ineffective. The USA alone cannot reduce global warming; the other countries must also do so. Currently, Congo is increasing oil leases and many countries are increasing oil/gas production to “combat rising prices”. Deforestation of the Amazon basin is increasing.
Also melting permafrost currently produces 40% of global methane emissions and is increasing.
Same w/ natural CO2 production.

Theres nothing you can do to change that.
You are having the wrong argument in the wrong thread. Anything one does that is a net positive for the environment is good. If I use one less plastic bag a week, it's a net positive for the environment. If I use less electricity it's a net positive.

If you want to argue it won't make a difference, you would be wrong. The issue is that it is very difficult (or impossible) to measure the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansath

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What a silly argument. Of course the earth WILL warm. What we (as in humans) do now affects how much it will warm. You're using fatalism to justify inaction.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
What a silly argument. Of course the earth WILL warm. What we (as in humans) do now affects how much it will warm. You're using fatalism to justify inaction.
I was accused of hypocrisy. I only stated the truth. I’m not justifying anything.
I'm not debating the future of the earth, that's out of my paygrade. I'm debating your assertion this will "do nothing". You can't prove it will do nothing,

You are having the wrong argument in the wrong thread. Anything one does that is a net positive for the environment is good. If I use one less plastic bag a week, it's a net positive for the environment. If I use less electricity it's a net positive.

If you want to argue it won't make a difference, you would be wrong. The issue is that it is very difficult (or impossible) to measure the difference.
Let’s agree to disagree.
FWIW, we have one car which we drive less than 5500 miles per year. If you like, we can compare carbon footprints of your pick-em-up truck.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was accused of hypocrisy. I only stated the truth. I’m not justifying anything.

Let’s agree to disagree.
Sure, there is no clarity on what we are even disagreeing to. (even if you responded to the other poster)
FWIW, we have one car which we drive less than 5500 miles per year. If you like, we can compare carbon footprints of your pick-em-up truck.
Sure, but if you needed my services because of an emergency, would you begrudge me using my pickup truck? The point is not the carbon footprint. The point is that anything reasonable that could be done in the name of the environment (whether it's carbon footprint, reducing waste and energy, environmental pollution etc) is a good initiative. That doesn't mean we throw away fire trucks, ambulances, police cars, pull the plug on the generating plants. As a society we still have to function. Some efforts are bigger than others and requires baby steps and also legislation. I'm not clear on why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Sure, there is no clarity on what we are even disagreeing to. (even if you responded to the other poster)

Sure, but if you needed my services because of an emergency, would you begrudge me using my pickup truck? The point is not the carbon footprint. The point is that anything reasonable that could be done in the name of the environment (whether it's carbon footprint, reducing waste and energy, environmental pollution etc) is a good initiative. That doesn't mean we throw away fire trucks, ambulances, police cars, pull the plug on the generating plants. As a society we still have to function. Some efforts are bigger than others and requires baby steps and also legislation. I'm not clear on why this is such a hard concept to grasp.
“anything reasonable”
Now you’re making sense.
It’s the “unreasonable“ crowd to which I object especially the “you oughta” ones.
Actually, I currently charge my device(s) an night when most energy grids are “cleanest” so the “Apple switch” probably would not affect me anyway. Just like I’m converting to LEDs because their use saves me energy costs and I don’t have to change them as often.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I only stated the truth. I’m not justifying anything.
No. You stated a fatalistic prediction in order to justify the claim that there's nothing we (humanity) can do. You also mocked people that disagree with you with the "virtue signaling" accusation.

Last edited:

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I was accused of hypocrisy.
The hypocrisy is you state you ‘don’t care about a switch’, but have been posting rants showing this switch bothers you….. if you don’t care, you’d not have wasted so much time in this thread. 😉

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
The hypocrisy is you state you ‘don’t care about a switch’, but have been posting rants showing this switch bothers you….. if you don’t care, you’d not have wasted so much time in this thread. 😉
Well, that’s true.
The only thing about the switch that bothers me is that others think it’s the best thing since sliced bread while I thinks it’s small beans.
So, I guess I really don’t care.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, that’s true.
The only thing about the switch that bothers me is that others think it’s the best thing since sliced bread
Others are entitled to their opinion as you are.
while I thinks it’s small beans.
So, I guess I really don’t care.
Sure, it's small beans, but it could be the start of technology that could power itself at better hours based on the grid. Would you change your opinion if apple decided to eliminate this switch in a future beta?

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
No. You stated a fatalistic prediction in order to justify the claim that there's nothing we (humanity) can do. You also mocked people that disagree with you with the "virtue signaling" accusation.
Ok, I really don’t think that there is anything humanity WILL do to cease global warming. There are several things that COULD be done, but they would require the co-operative actions of all the countries on earth.
That will not, IMHO, happen.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Others are entitled to their opinion as you are.

Sure, it's small beans, but it could be the start of technology that could power itself at better hours based on the grid. Would you change your opinion if apple decided to eliminate this switch in a future beta?
Some of that technology already exists. ”Smart” power meters on your house will shut off your heating/cooling units at times of peak usages. That’s not something that interests me.
You can, today, set your major appliances to wash etc ant night. Most do not do this. And this requires spending funds to buy such. Depending on the country, these might not be available.
Human kind, working together MAY help; I have my doubts about this happening.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Some of that technology already exists. ”Smart” power meters on your house will shut off your heating/cooling units at times of peak usages. That’s not something that interests me.
You can, today, set your major appliances to wash etc ant night. Most do not do this. And this requires spending funds to buy such. Depending on the country, these might not be available.
Human kind, working together MAY help; I have my doubts about this happening.
Sure, this can be the kickstart of a future for power aware devices. You never know.

bassexpander

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2022
089DDA74-B483-4D52-B0A8-59FADD1B202A.jpeg
Mr. Tesla is not happy with this decision. He charges how he wants, and when he wants.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrkevinfinnerty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.