Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
While all the virtue signaling is going on:
Just how does my phone know when the "grid" is using "clean energy"??
There’s an app for that. For instance “WhenToPlugin”. So Apple must have a deal with a provider for this kind of content.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Swallow the Kool-Aid and sleep better knowing you did enough..
If you don’t know how climate change works because the science is too complex or overwhelming, or you simply don’t care, then why don’t you stay out of the debate and give the people that do want to tackle the issue, every chance. Instead of spreading negativity?

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
It's virtue signaling nonsense. Apple doesn't have access to that level of information.

This setting is for gullible Apple fans to feel good and pat themselves on the back for 'doing their part to save the environment.'

Were you one of the same people applauding Apple for "saving the environment" by not including chargers with iPhones?
How do you know what information the biggest tech multinational in the world has access to? There are multiple providers that give exactly this information (mainly in a B2B setting) for over 50 countries. It’s a piece of cake for Apple to strike a deal with one of them.

• Disagree
Reactions: cmcbhi and I7guy

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
There’s an app for that. For instance “WhenToPlugin”. So Apple must have a deal with a provider for this kind of content.
Well, I have to call BS. This App is not available in the US so it’s not much use to me. The AppStore lists nothing.
So, while you spout, it means nothing.
FWIW, the US is a bit larger with a bit more complex grid than the UK.
Just so you know.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
What virtue signaling. You aren’t for easy ways to help the environment, even if there is no action required by you?
“The meaning of VIRTUE SIGNALING is the act or practice of conspicuously displaying one's awareness of and attentiveness to political issues, matters of social and racial justice, etc., especially instead of taking effective action.
Like your statement(s).
Sorta like advocating the use of a totally useless setting in order to feel good.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
“The meaning of VIRTUE SIGNALING is the act or practice of conspicuously displaying one's awareness of and attentiveness to political issues, matters of social and racial justice, etc., especially instead of taking effective action.
Like your statement(s).
Sorta like advocating the use of a totally useless setting in order to feel good.
So we agree VIRTUE SIGNALLING is about looking to say the correct things. If one is walking the talk then it is not virtue signaling. Apple is walking the talk. And let’s not get into the “throwing the baby out with the bath water” comments.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Like your statement(s).
What do you call it when you call something totally useless without any data or sourcing? Isn't that just virtue signaling to people that agree with you?

Reactions: Ansath and I7guy

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Well, I have to call BS. This App is not available in the US so it’s not much use to me. The AppStore lists nothing.
So, while you spout, it means nothing.
FWIW, the US is a bit larger with a bit more complex grid than the UK.
Just so you know.
Wow, you get given an example of one way to see about clean charging and you complain that it’s not in the US.

A 10 second google found this site, which caters for the US: https://www.watttime.org/

There’s obviously ways to see, Apple’s obviously made deals in order to make this OPTIONAL feature work.

You obviously just want to attack people you disagree with.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
If I follow the money it leads to big oil. They know since the sixties climate change caused by their products would one day threaten our planet. So they did everything to minimise it. You’re still a product of that old school.

Also, there was never any mainstream research in the 70’s proclaiming a mini ice age. The overwhelming evidence and consensus on climate change today cannot be denied. You’re stuck in 2002.
They had commercia
If I follow the money it leads to big oil. They know since the sixties climate change caused by their products would one day threaten our planet. So they did everything to minimise it. You’re still a product of that old school.

Also, there was never any mainstream research in the 70’s proclaiming a mini ice age. The overwhelming evidence and consensus on climate change today cannot be denied. You’re stuck in 2002.
well. Do you know that the scammy term “net zero” was actually invented by BP? Yes, beyond petroleum invented it.
And riding that wave of greenwashing they started to use sophisticated machines to recover co2 from the air. Co2 that they then inject underground to extract more petrol and increase their profits.
It’s a money matter.

We shouldn’t let unelected billionaire world leaders that fly to Davos with a private jet telling us how to live our lives.

Why am I supposed to buy a Tesla to save the planet and then in California they tell me not to charge it to save the planet?
Why do I have to stop eating meat? Remember that when we will be forced to eat patented food, we will be dependant from our government. And depending makes you more vulnerable and controllable. It’s all about control.

We have seen in recent years that a bit of mediatic hammering on some topics can lead masses to obey.

And we obey so it ends, but it never ends if we obey.

My opinion anyway.. just having a chat here, I hope to find open minds not lobotomised people who will just jump on me now.
I love having conversations.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
How do you know what information the biggest tech multinational in the world has access to? There are multiple providers that give exactly this information (mainly in a B2B setting) for over 50 countries. It’s a piece of cake for Apple to strike a deal with one of them.
For example, Cal ISO doesn't expand on what they import. As solar goes away in the evening, their most signicant change is the power they import.

And nobody can pretend to define what type of power is imported. It's not as if Cal ISO can say "we only want electrons imported that are being pushed from "clean" sources." It doesn't work like that.

And by far the most significant MW source of "clean" power is during the day by solar. How many people are charging their phones during the day?

Last edited:

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
What do you call it when you call something totally useless without any data or sourcing? Isn't that just virtue signaling to people that agree with you?
Take a look at the “clean energy” maps in NC. There’s no time you have “clean energy”

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Lessee,
‘What say we make a betting pool here. All kick in to -lace their bets.
‘Make your choice.
1). The earth will warm in the next 5 years because our measures will amount to nothing. Heat absorbing gases will increase, glaciers wI’ll melt, seas will rise. All your measures, green charging, etc. will be to no avail.
2). All timed usage will work, the earth will cool, seas will lower and glaciers will build up and things will be fine.
Stand up guys.
Place your bets.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Take a look at the “clean energy” maps in NC. There’s no time you have “clean energy”
Your faulty assumptions aside, Apple simply said that it would shift charging to times when the grid was using more cleaner energy sources. It doesn't claim that the energy is only from clean sources.

Reactions: I7guy

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Lessee,
‘What say we make a betting pool here. All kick in to -lace their bets.
‘Make your choice.
1). The earth will warm in the next 5 years because our measures will amount to nothing. Heat absorbing gases will increase, glaciers wI’ll melt, seas will rise. All your measures, green charging, etc. will be to no avail.
2). All timed usage will work, the earth will cool, seas will lower and glaciers will build up and things will be fine.
Stand up guys.
Place your bets.
With people that have attitude like you, the planet is screwed. Also, people need to be doing more, to make an impact.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
With people that have attitude like you, the planet is screwed. Also, people need to be doing more, to make an impact.
Ansath, the planet IS screwed. The temperatures have reached the point where the permafrost is melting and emitting huge quantities of methane. There is nothing you can do about that. Whatever impact some countries try to do will be negated by the actions of China, India and the African nations.
That ship has sailed.
Figure out ways to live with it.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Wow, you get given an example of one way to see about clean charging and you complain that it’s not in the US.

A 10 second google found this site, which caters for the US: https://www.watttime.org/

There’s obviously ways to see, Apple’s obviously made deals in order to make this OPTIONAL feature work.

You obviously just want to attack people you disagree with.
I’m attacking no one.
I just do not believe that you can do anything meaningful by charging your phone during off hours.
If you really want to go “clean” get a solar cell and charge your phone that way.
Or, toss your phone away and go really clean.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
It's virtue signaling nonsense. Apple doesn't have access to that level of information.

This setting is for gullible Apple fans to feel good and pat themselves on the back for 'doing their part to save the environment.'

Were you one of the same people applauding Apple for "saving the environment" by not including chargers with iPhones?
Shhh. You are going to make the people thinking they are doing their part mad.

• Haha
Reactions: IG88 and cmcbhi

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I’m attacking no one.
I just do not believe that you can do anything meaningful by charging your phone during off hours.
If you really want to go “clean” get a solar cell and charge your phone that way.
Or, toss your phone away and go really clean.

You are.

That on its own, of course will not be enough, it's just 1 of many things that could be done, to have a more cumulative effect. Not everyone can afford to buy and set up a solar cell.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Personally, I don’t care about Apple’s little switch.
Cool, that’s called choice - and I support that.!If you don’t care about “the little switch” you have no business calling anybody else out that does.
Do what you wish. it will make no difference.
No it will make a difference, especially if one billion other people flip it on.
The choices you mention above are fine if they make you feel better (see virtue signaling).
You don’t understand what virtue signaling is. Virtue signaling is about saying the right thing and not taking any action. When you walk the talk you are not virtue signaling, you are doing.
But the reality is that they will not stop global warming.
Whoever the “they” is I hope you are doing your part as well.
The tipping point has been reached. The polar glaciers are melting, the seas will rise.
The Permafrost is melting and spewing more CO2 and methane than humans. The major polluters will not stop (see DRG above).
If you care about the environment then I hope you are doing your part. If not see virtue signaling.
The earth will warm despite all of your sacrifices.
Then so be it. If you believe trying to do one’s part is sacrifices then you missed the boat.

Reactions: Ansath

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Cool, that’s called choice - and I support that.!If you don’t care about “the little switch” you have no business calling anybody else out that does.

No it will make a difference, especially if one billion other people flip it on.

You don’t understand what virtue signaling is. Virtue signaling is about saying the right thing and not taking any action. When you walk the talk you are not virtue signaling, you are doing.

Whoever the “they” is I hope you are doing your part as well.

If you care about the environment then I hope you are doing your part. If not see virtue signaling.

Then so be it. If you believe trying to do one’s part is sacrifices then you missed the boat.
You see, you have defined what (you think) is “my part”. That’s not your decision to make.
The truth is that none of the actions you describe will make any difference at all.
All efforts are of no more effect that those of Canute trying to hold back the tides.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You see, you have defined what (you think) is “my part”. That’s not your decision to make.
No, I have called out the hypocrisy of your posts. On one hand you can't say the environment is going under and on the other hand, this option is useless. Unless one can predict the future, all you have is a bad opinion, imo.
The truth is that none of the actions you describe will make any difference at all.
I'll take a chance. No harm, no foul.
All efforts are of no more effect that those of Canute trying to hold back the tides.
So we might as stop every environmental initiative then? Right?

Reactions: Ansath
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.