Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
This is honestly stupid. The amount of power it takes to charge an iPhone is a drop in the ocean. It would be better for Apple to work on automation of apps via APIs for car charging, home aircon etc.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I don’t get it. What does it matter if you charge at 11 am or 10 pm? You are still using the same energy. It’s not like your wall socket will suddenly get its power from a different source like huh?
The power that the electric company has to buy will be cheaper during off-hours (supply and demand). Where electricity is coming from can change a lot during the day, but not at the house-level, at the grid-level.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
This is great. Would also love the ability to control what it max charges too similar to Tesla to lengthen the battery life.
Apple already does that, it tracks charging behavior and doesn't charge to full till right before you unplug the charger.
Are you looking for an option to set max charge ?

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I want my phone to charge when I tell it to charge and couldn't care less whether the grid is running on coal or unicorn tears.
You can still charge when ever you want, reading comprehension is important, Apple is giving people option to select when to charge based on when grid is supplying with green energy.
Options are better for people/customers.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
And yet Tim Cook, Al Gore and varous famous climate activists will continue flying private jets that generate exponentially more CO2 than a zillion iPhones.
You have to remember that most regular people will do all the save the environment stuff mostly as virtue signaling.

It’s been shown over and over that the environment could be and can only be saved by reductions of corporate pollution and a handful of users who are filthy rich.

Yet I am continually told to change the way I charge my phones or to eat less meat.

I want to save the environment. But I am not going to truncate the pleasures in my life when it will not appreciably help the environment. I’m happy to do it when the elites and corporations do it.

But I’m not going to live a worse life while they do whatever they want. I already have a much worse life than they do. I don’t need to make it worse just to virtue signal.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The impact of changing the time of day one charges their phone is so miniscule, even when scaled up to billions of people/devices. A bigger impact would be, say, not upgrading to a new iPhone every year. Not buying/leasing a new car every 2-3 years. Etc.

Perhaps Apple should not offer new iPhone models each year? That would be quite the statement if they would do that. It would force longer upgrade cycles upon consumers.
Apple won’t magically stop manufacturing even if upgrade cycles were longer. Anecdotally people I know dispose of used phones responsibly: give them to kids, recycle to Apple if warranted(broken or not really usable). Buying a new phone doesn’t affect the grid in real time.
And yet Tim Cook, Al Gore and varous famous climate activists will continue flying private jets that generate exponentially more CO2 than a zillion iPhones.
These “throw the baby out with the bath water” comments are inane. The board makes Tim fly a private jet as the board considers Tim a valuable asset and his safety is paramount.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You have to remember that most regular people will do all the save the environment stuff mostly as virtue signaling.
Citation? Or in your opinion?
It’s been shown over and over that the environment could be and can only be saved by reductions of corporate pollution and a handful of users who are filthy rich.
So the “common folk” have nothing to do with green, carbon neutral etc?
Yet I am continually told to change the way I charge my phones or to eat less meat.
Who is telling you that, because it’s up to each person to do what is right for them.
I want to save the environment. But I am not going to truncate the pleasures in my life when it will not appreciably help the environment. I’m happy to do it when the elites and corporations do it.
I do my part to the best I can…by recycling and reusing.
But I’m not going to live a worse life while they do whatever they want. I already have a much worse life than they do. I don’t need to make it worse just to virtue signal.
Recycling and reusing are not virtue signaling, those are actionable items.

SnakeEater1993

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2020
Won’t be too long before you see the message that your phone’s charging has been discontinued due to your local government asking us to. Kind of like the messages on the eco bee thermostats in Colorado when they Had a hot day…
Hey not American here, what happened exactly?

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Citation? Or in your opinion?

So the “common folk” have nothing to do with green, carbon neutral etc?

Who is telling you that, because it’s up to each person to do what is right for them.

I do my part to the best I can…by recycling and reusing.

Recycling and reusing are not virtue signaling, those are actionable items.
I'm not going to do the research for you, but here is one article to get you started:

I am happy for people to do what they want to do, "whatever is right for them." I did not decry that. I said that I do not enjoy companies and politicians telling me that I need to change many of my every-day actions or, in some cases, radically change aspects of my life. Not when they are not doing so.

Sure, continue to recycle and reuse. I applaud that. I do that too.

I am happy to do any task that is not particularly arduous and that will not change my life too much.

But until you understand that corporations and politicians are happy to shuffle the responsibility off onto you in the name of profits, you don't really understand the game.

Here's a hint: it's not really about climate change or the environment. It's about profits.

Until you understand that, be careful not to suck up the propaganda of companies and politicians without some critical thinking.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Sounds like a bunch of useless hippie jargon that really doesn't do anything outside of make executives feel like they have accomplished something meaningful.
Dude, it's not even that. Most of the politicians don't even care if it is anything meaningful. They feel good that they've accomplished tricking more consumers into upping the profits of the corporation.

All you have to do is look at some of the stuff that's come out recently about tech-companies that are supposedly so woke, but in actuality they were instrumentally using the employment of minorities or the prospect of employing minorities to make themselves look better. They didn't "feel good" about hiring minorities. They felt good when they convinced a bunch of dummy ordinary people that they gave a crap about anything but profits.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Not upgrading phones at the pace we in this forum are will be more impactful.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not going to do the research for you, but here is one article to get you started:

I am happy for people to do what they want to do, "whatever is right for them." I did not decry that. I said that I do not enjoy companies and politicians telling me that I need to change many of my every-day actions or, in some cases, radically change aspects of my life. Not when they are not doing so.

Sure, continue to recycle and reuse. I applaud that. I do that too.

I am happy to do any task that is not particularly arduous and that will not change my life too much.

But until you understand that corporations and politicians are happy to shuffle the responsibility off onto you in the name of profits, you don't really understand the game.

Here's a hint: it's not really about climate change or the environment. It's about profits.

Until you understand that, be careful not to suck up the propaganda of companies and politicians without some critical thinking.
Your “thing” is that people use virtue signaling for environmental benefits. That’s bs. Does the ceo of exxon tell us to eat less meat, don’t eat avocados, don’t use plastics, don’t drive? Is this person a do as I say and not as I do fella?

Manufactures have a responsibility also, but people can do their small part: use less energy, turn off lights, recycle and reuse etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: ctg7w6 and SFjohn

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I don’t get it. What does it matter if you charge at 11 am or 10 pm? You are still using the same energy. It’s not like your wall socket will suddenly get its power from a different source like huh?
Here in CA when we have heatwaves the entire grid can come under strain between 4PM to 9PM. If there’s too much strain transformers can explode, whole areas going dark for days. PG&E has been responsible for a number of forest fires here when their equipment fails. Sadly they are never held to account for this. It gets worse every year. What this has to do with clean air, I don’t know. Perhaps reducing the chance of forrest fires means cleaner air? 🤷

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
Here in CA when we have heatwaves the entire grid can come under strain between 4PM to 9PM. If there’s too much strain transformers can explode, whole areas going dark for days. PG&E has been responsible for a number of forest fires here when their equipment fails. Sadly they are never held to account for this. It gets worse every year. What this has to do with clean air, I don’t know. Perhaps reducing the chance of forrest fires means cleaner air? 🤷
honestly not my problem. id run my ac all day and night without a care if I could afford the price. I dont care about power grids or my neighbors though.

slimtim49036

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
Kennesaw. Good Southern Living
The impact of changing the time of day one charges their phone is so miniscule, even when scaled up to billions of people/devices. A bigger impact would be, say, not upgrading to a new iPhone every year. Not buying/leasing a new car every 2-3 years. Etc.

Perhaps Apple should not offer new iPhone models each year? That would be quite the statement if they would do that. It would force longer upgrade cycles upon consumers.
I’m still waiting for the day Apple voluntarily closes the company, permanently. (Courage and all)

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Your “thing” is that people use virtue signaling for environmental benefits. That’s bs. Does the ceo of exxon tell us to eat less meat, don’t eat avocados, don’t use plastics, don’t drive? Is this person a do as I say and not as I do fella?

Manufactures have a responsibility also, but people can do their small part: use less energy, turn off lights, recycle and reuse etc.
Lol, ok.

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
I remember reading a story once where an Apple supplier in China polluted a river that badly that it turned white, like a river of milk

But yeah, your phone charges when it wants and you have to buy your own charging brick. Ur welcome.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Interesting, but I don’t understand how it will actually work (or make a difference). Regional grids can vary widely in “cleanness”, peak schedules, generation vs. purchase strategies, etc. Also, in many states the “cleanest” time may actually be the peak demand time, because at that point the highest percentage of power is being generated by expensive gas peakers or solar, while base/overnight load is handled mostly by coal-fired plants. Adding to peak times stresses the grid and raises embodied carbon via grid capacity increases, while adding to off-peak loads raises coal consumption and operational carbon emissions. I’d be very interested to see what kind of schedule this implementation ends up following.
It be sounds like there may be databases that track this.

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I want my phone to charge when I tell it to charge and couldn't care less whether the grid is running on coal or unicorn tears.
In the meantime they manufacture in China so they can contaminate at free will. And here in the west they want to “ration” the energy to charge our phones. F them with their hypocrisy on SJW stuff while turning a blind eye on China and throwing CSAM at us. Once my Apple products are obsolete I’m changing sides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.