Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
“…and support for the Matter smart home standard.”

Interesting that they are willing to participate in this open standard, but not RCS for messages… wtf Tim Cook.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Why would anyone pay for the luxury of letting Tim choose when to charge your phone?
I'm not a rabbi but I'm going to answer your question by asking more questions:
  • Why do people pay for bumper stickers?
  • Why would anybody pay for a shirt that advertises a gigantic corporation?
  • Why would anyone pay for a costume or skin for an avatar?

Last edited:

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Some of us have solar chargers to charge phones and iPads. You don't need a billion dollar company telling you how to save the planet. Tim will damage the world more with flights made on Apple's private planes in the next quarter than this feel good crap will every recover.
Exactly, it always amuses me when all these virtue signaling billionaires fly their army of privste jets to a climate conference to tell the plebs how they must start turning down the thermostat while eating crickets. They,of course,will enjoy ice cold AC and filet mignon at the reception afterwards.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
The impact of changing the time of day one charges their phone is so miniscule, even when scaled up to billions of people/devices. A bigger impact would be, say, not upgrading to a new iPhone every year. Not buying/leasing a new car every 2-3 years. Etc.

Perhaps Apple should not offer new iPhone models each year? That would be quite the statement if they would do that. It would force longer upgrade cycles upon consumers.

It's true. One year of phone charging equals barely a few miles driven in an electric car. There's a lot of potential in shifting consumption, but it would be a lot more effective to just send out a push notification for when to turn on your dryers.

But the upgrade cycle isn't a problem, either. The problem is putting an old, perfectly usable phone in a drawer when you get a new one. As long as you put the old phone back into circulation, you can upgrade yearly without consequences. Then someone else will get the used iPhone instead of a cheap Android. Making phones last longer is both the producers and the consumers job.

If you put something that works in a drawer until it's obsolete, you're flushing the manufacturing resources down the drain …

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This is great. Would also love the ability to control what it max charges too similar to Tesla to lengthen the battery life.
That's already there as Optimized Battery Charging. As is customary with Apple, you don't get any control over the specific percentage. The phone is supposed to recognize charging patterns and pause charging based on predicted usage. (For example, if I charge my phone every night from 11:30 pm to 7:00 am, it might hold off topping the phone off above 95% until 6:00 am).

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Exactly, it always amuses me when all these virtue signaling billionaires fly their army of privste jets to a climate conference to tell the plebs how they must start turning down the thermostat while eating crickets. They,of course,will enjoy ice cold AC and filet mignon at the reception afterwards.
So you expect them to walk 6 months? Or row across the ocean?

And besides the timing aspect, there are also safety issues and protocols in place with regards to private transport. Sure, that should all be (re)considered, but that doesn’t happen overnight either.

And more importantly, it doesn’t take away from the climate issues at hand. In other words: don’t shoot the messenger.

Reactions: SFjohn

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Politics aside, this sounds like a stupid idea that will make the user experience worse. No idea who in their right mind would opt-in (assuming this is optional and not forced) for giving up full control over when they want their device to charge the battery.

If Apple really cared about the environment they’d add features that significantly increase battery lifespan and overall reduce planned obsolescence in their products.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Dystopian.
Technology is amazing ❤️

1663007144568.jpeg

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Interesting, but I don’t understand how it will actually work (or make a difference). Regional grids can vary widely in “cleanness”, peak schedules, generation vs. purchase strategies, etc.
I’m wondering the same thing. How do they know when the grid is actually using clean energy?

Also, the energy consumption of an iPhone is negligible. “A smartphone consumes annually just 4 kilowatt-hours of electricity.” (https://spectrum.ieee.org/amp/your-phone-costs-energyeven-before-you-turn-it-on-2650274129)

The carbon emitted by publishing this info and us reading and commenting on it (which relies on server datafarms) outweighs whatever is conserved by this initiative.

Reactions: Return Zero

TimmKook

Suspended
Sep 1, 2020
We are also going to release an update for Apple Maps so it can guide you to the nearest windmill so you can blow on it to charge your phone faster.

I'll be sitting at home charging mine from the wall outlet at full-speed and taking private jets to meetings. You can use electric cars!

Reactions: twocents

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I want my phone to charge when I tell it to charge and couldn't care less whether the grid is running on coal or unicorn tears.

This is a terrible idea. Way too much overeach on Apple's part. Just charge the phone when I plug it in. How much of a benefit is this actually to "climate change". Its just for publicity.

You do realise it's optional?

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I want my phone to charge when I tell it to charge and couldn't care less whether the grid is running on coal or unicorn tears.

This is some big "don't look up" energy.

It's more accurately greenwashing when Apple has a long list of more serious sustainability problems (e.g., sealed batteries in AirPods, Apple Watches, phones, tablets, laptops, etc).

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Kirkster

Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
So you expect them to walk 6 months? Or row across the ocean?

And besides the timing aspect, there are also safety issues and protocols in place with regards to private transport. Sure, that should all be (re)considered, but that doesn’t happen overnight either.

And more importantly, it doesn’t take away from the climate issues at hand. In other words: don’t shoot the messenger.
Sounds like the perfect environment for a VTC…. No one travels, the temp goes down by at least a degree.

pray2crom

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
Tell you what, when the day Apple brings production back to the US and implements solar and wind only to power their production sites THEN I will join in with the mindless seals here clapping for apple. But for now the majority of production of apple products are still utilizing coal as the primary power source. I couldn't care less if cooperate offices are using wind/solar.....How many apple execs are still working from home? right

• Haha
Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.