Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I had a problem with Standby , couldn't change colours of watches on the most right hand screen and lost all my text replacements .
I called  who couldn't help so I finally erased my phone and set it up as new .

So now my text replacements are back but all my custom ringtones disappeared ! Thankfully I had a file with them and added them back with iMazing , great app by the way .

Now I'm waiting to see if they'll be back with a next update ...

OTOH as far as Standby is concerned the issue seems to be a bug as I'm not the only one having it , there is a tread about it . I should have come here to avoid myself a headache 🙄

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
After a discussion a few of us on here had with Craig, who insisted they were the same despite the evidence we had showing otherwise… Support may be alluding to one thing but management is saying otherwise.
If it’s the reinstall that’s fixed the issue the second time around it’s not exactly a fair argument as you can’t OTA update a second time.
I’ve had issues on my 13P with iOS 16 where the battery drain would get worse after an ipsw update along with a handful of bugs that popped up during throughout iOS 16. With iOS 17 I haven’t seen any difference either way after a factory reset.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
If it’s the reinstall that’s fixed the issue the second time around it’s not exactly a fair argument as you can’t OTA update a second time.
I’ve had issues on my 13P with iOS 16 where the battery drain would get worse after an ipsw update along with a handful of bugs that popped up during throughout iOS 16. With iOS 17 I haven’t seen any difference either way after a factory reset.

That was one of the crazy things, do an OTA and have one set o bugs, do an ipsw and get a different set.
ipsw appears to have a positive effect more than OTA.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Hm.. anyone have a pulse on the next beta yet?

For me, all is working as expected with iOS/padOS 17.4 and the latest Sonoma.. same set of problems as always, not sure why fixes don't roll out for Messages (wonder when the RMS update starts to go beta?) and Contacts (especially Mac side)

I'm eager to see what kind of AI stuff starts to land. Siri hasn't had a real update since it's release, this should be nice

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hm.. anyone have a pulse on the next beta yet?

For me, all is working as expected with iOS/padOS 17.4 and the latest Sonoma.. same set of problems as always, not sure why fixes don't roll out for Messages (wonder when the RMS update starts to go beta?) and Contacts (especially Mac side)

I'm eager to see what kind of AI stuff starts to land. Siri hasn't had a real update since it's release, this should be nice

There’s a whole two threads on those very topics for your reading pleasure!

Reactions: Jakimo

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
Raise to wake and tap to wake are so broken in this release.
I raise the phone - nothing. I tap the screen and? nothing. I tap again and finally the screen turns on.
It's really annoying.

Face ID is also not working correctly and I don't mean the 1-2s pause in the animation but when I try to unlock the phone or just check the notifications. It often doesn't even try to unlock itself. The screen turns on but nothing's happening and I have to manually swipe up or tap on a notification for it to check my face.
And no - it's not trying to scan my face and fails because there's not a haptic feedback or the text above the clock, it just does nothing lol

Reactions: BBDDVV

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Any tips for this one? Is this a bug in this iOS ?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Any tips for this one? Is this a bug in this iOS ?

I replied with more detail in your original thread. Not seeing this issue coming from a 13PM to a 15PM.

Reactions: Jason B

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Raise to wake and tap to wake are so broken in this release.
I raise the phone - nothing. I tap the screen and? nothing. I tap again and finally the screen turns on.
It's really annoying.

Face ID is also not working correctly and I don't mean the 1-2s pause in the animation but when I try to unlock the phone or just check the notifications. It often doesn't even try to unlock itself. The screen turns on but nothing's happening and I have to manually swipe up or tap on a notification for it to check my face.
And no - it's not trying to scan my face and fails because there's not a haptic feedback or the text above the clock, it just does nothing lol
I have not seen that complaint elsewhere.
I would backup, restore to factoryand set up again restoring the backup.
If it still happens, backup, restore and set up again without the backup and if it still happens you have a busted phone.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
One other small annoyance, I came from an Iphone XS with super old firmware, and now on a 15 pro with 17.4.

In text messages, say someone texted you today, and you went in and deleted the individual text from them, (this would move the conversation back down your list to say yesterday or the last time they texted you, and that message wouldn't show up at the top of your screen still) Now with ios 17.4, if you delete say all the texts someone sent you today, their message thread still says up at the same spot from the original time stamp that was sent to you. It doesn't know to put that message down in your list further after you delete the single messages. I don't know when that changed? or if it's a bug in the new ios.

Or say you send a new text today to someone that that haven't texted in a few days ago... If you delete your own message that you just sent them after you send it, it still has their message thread at the TOP of your phone, it doesn't push it back to a few days later where it should be.

phrekaru

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2017
Medellin, Antioquia
I have not seen that complaint elsewhere.
I would backup, restore to factoryand set up again restoring the backup.
If it still happens, backup, restore and set up again without the backup and if it still happens you have a busted phone.
I have that bug, don't respond when I touch the screen, have to push the side button

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Anyone have the default alert sound stay at Rebound no matter what other sound it is set to?? I thought that was fixed with 17.3.1
Update: It works fine, I was hearing my iPad which I left on the default sound by accident.

Last edited:

brar.arsh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
IMG_3317.png
Any idea why this system data is too big?
iphone 15 PM 512gb here.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
View attachment 2360687 Any idea why this system data is too big?
iphone 15 PM 512gb here.
Some of it may be Recently Deleted. Been doing any big deletions of media that need deleting out of the Recently Deleted album?
After cleaning out Recently Deleted album, if you backup, restore to factory settings, and set up by restoring the backup it will clean out bogus Other System junk. I'll leave it up to you how you do that

Reactions: brar.arsh

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
To me, iPadOS 17.4 is the buggiest iOS/ipados version ever since iOS 4. literally every app freezes, I had to hard-reset my iPad Air 5 like 20 times now. anyone else?? I know apple is really lagging behind these days with bugs but this version is straight up pathetic. I can’t paste text from notes to my banking app anymore, Netflix app doesn’t even load anything besides a neverending loading circle, if I download something via chrome it freezes, if I go to iCloud Drive to open the downloaded file the app is completely blank and everything requires a hard reset to get it working again (for like one time). If I try to shutdown the iPad in the normal way, there is a black screen forever and I cant turn it on anymore. Wtf is apple doing

Yesss

I noticed the 17.4 betas seemed to be buggy, figured the rc would fix the issues I’m having yet it seemed to make them worse. I’m having a lot of apps that freeze up and reload as if I’m having memory issues, when I take pictures now my apps all reload as if I’m back on the infamous 14 pro max.

And the battery issues, charging seems to have slowed down, I’ve got some ridiculous battery drain, and the phone keeps getting hot, sometimes burning hot. So I’m really hopeful that these things are fixed in 17.5 if it ever comes out. Never thought my 4 year old Samsung would be faster, smoother, and have far fewer bugs than my new 15 pro max. 😯

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Yesss

I noticed the 17.4 betas seemed to be buggy, figured the rc would fix the issues I’m having yet it seemed to make them worse. I’m having a lot of apps that freeze up and reload as if I’m having memory issues, when I take pictures now my apps all reload as if I’m back on the infamous 14 pro max.

And the battery issues, charging seems to have slowed down, I’ve got some ridiculous battery drain, and the phone keeps getting hot, sometimes burning hot. So I’m really hopeful that these things are fixed in 17.5 if it ever comes out. Never thought my 4 year old Samsung would be faster, smoother, and have far fewer bugs than my new 15 pro max. 😯

Not quite in your boat but I find it :( that my 15PM has more bugs and is slower than my S24 Ultra. Heck, the 1+ 12 I’m testing is better than my iPhone. Apple needs to step up their game.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I’m very surprised there is no point update today. This is the worst version in a long time, and I was hoping that at least they will start fixing it quickly

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
View attachment 2360687 Any idea why this system data is too big?
iphone 15 PM 512gb here.
There are many posts about this topic on this forum. Just search for "system data" and you'll get your answer. Some of it is cached files to boost up iOS system performance. I wouldn't worry about it unless its prevent you to use your device in any way you like (install apps, save photos or videos to library). As far as I know, it is managing itself so it won't get in your way while using your phone.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
There are many posts about this topic on this forum. Just search for "system data" and you'll get your answer. Some of it is cached files to boost up iOS system performance. I wouldn't worry about it unless its prevent you to use your device in any way you like (install apps, save photos or videos to library). As far as I know, it is managing itself so it won't get in your way while using your phone.

Yeah. For most this just becomes one of those “scary” issues that is really a non-issue proved the phone handles memory management properly (which admittedly they appeared not to during the last two summer beta periods).

Might be better for Apple to not expose this data to save everyone the faux anxiety.

Reactions: srbNYC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.