Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

circlel05

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
Oklahoma
Anyone having issues sending photos or files through the messages app to androids?

Didn’t have an issue before updating, but now cannot send anything.

Tomas1988

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2022
Lithuania
no. ill skip this beta 🤫you can try it, but both in the forums and in youtube reviews, people complain about this version and I don't know why, but beta 3 often has a battery problem so im happy at this moment with b2 ✌️

Reactions: James6s

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
no. ill skip this beta 🤫you can try it, but both in the forums and in youtube reviews, people complain about this version and I don't know why, but beta 3 often has a battery problem so im happy at this moment with b2 ✌️

I might give this one a miss then, for the time being 😉 will continue to keep an eye and read the reviews. Beta 2 performance and battery life are very good 👌🏻😃

Reactions: Tomas1988

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It’s ready and waiting but I’m holding off for the battery concerns lol 😜 not seen enough to convince me otherwise yet….

View attachment 2371557

Been watching it today and I am down to 47% with only 2hrs 27min SOT.
MS Teams and Home & Lock Screen are the big two. Teams being just 1hr 23min.

For me this is definitely a battery killer so far. :(

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California

So sounds like all the chit-chat around this beta are correct then regarding battery drain. Good to know!

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK

Not good… very poor for a 15PM! Looks like I’ll be staying on beta 2 and see what next weeks beta brings.

Reactions: d0sed0se

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
At home—without Low Power Mode turned on—battery seems to be going faster than usual but out and about (when it really matters) with Low Power Mode enabled battery life is quite good so far. Perhaps too soon to tell. iPhone 15.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
So sounds like all the chit-chat around this beta are correct then regarding battery drain. Good to know!

I killed all background stuff and this morning it had dropped 30% overnight.
The only thing showing of any note is Home & Lockscreen (17% - 23min). I don't use AOD or night light stuff.

Something is going on in the background as the numbers don't add up.

Think I an going to try an ipsw reload.

jaknudsen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Oslo, Norway
It appears the "Automatic" setting in Privacy and security -> Photos -> Safari -> Options -> Format no longer exports .jpg when uploading library photos on websites , leading to "HEIC not supported"-messages from websites that don't support HEIC. Anyone else with similar experience?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I killed all background stuff and this morning it had dropped 30% overnight.
The only thing showing of any note is Home & Lockscreen (17% - 23min). I don't use AOD or night light stuff.

Something is going on in the background as the numbers don't add up.

Think I an going to try an ipsw reload.
Thanks for your report! Let us know how the phone behaves after restoring it with the IPSW.

Reactions: dk001

jpdunn13

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
Statistically speaking, one to three days is not enough to determine if battery usage is the same, better, or worse. I would give it about 15 to 30 days to make that determination.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I might give this one a miss then, for the time being 😉 will continue to keep an eye and read the reviews. Beta 2 performance and battery life are very good 👌🏻😃
I really don’t understand the community hesitation. The beta will be on your device for a week at most. Learn through each beta and then either accept 17.5 final or revert to 17.4 before it is too late.

paulg1981

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2014
Just wanted to say that I am not having any battery issues on the latest beta. Here are today’s stats for my 15PM.

Obviously ymmv but haven’t noticed a hit.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 42

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
No issues at all with my battery yet. Seems great to me and unchanged from any of the 17.5 betas.
Great to hear, I came to this thread hoping to read some good news, because I really want to update to iOS 17 this time, being already on the late cycle of development. Honestly, my build of iOS 16.6.1 is so robust, stable and efficient on my SE 3 and M2 iPad, that I’ve been a bit afraid of losing it.

Hopefully the software will be even more refine for May 14th release (made up date).

@paulg1981 @jazzzyJeff thank you both for mentioning your device model with the feedback!

jpdunn13

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
Why?

Had to ask as I suspect I am not the only one thinking that. ;)
As someone who works in data analytics and statistics all day, I am just more careful with making statements about anything with very little evidence. As to the battery life, there are so many things going on in the background after a version update. I would suspect there may be differences between using the OTA and IPSW, maybe I'm wrong here. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Reactions: roncron and dk001

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
As someone who works in data analytics and statistics all day, I am just more careful with making statements about anything with very little evidence. As to the battery life, there are so many things going on in the background after a version update. I would suspect there may be differences between using the OTA and IPSW, maybe I'm wrong here. Just my thoughts on the subject.
I don't disagree with you. However, I don't think it would take 15-30 days for a pattern to disclose itself. The general rule of thumb is that battery life should revert to the norm (for that beta) within 1-2 days following the beta install. By then, the system is fully reindexed, and all the post-install processes are concluded. At that point, the system should be operating at its baseline. Now, that norm may not be what you want it to be...

Reactions: iLuddite
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.