Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b_a_k

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2019
Athens, Greece
I am having excellent battery life with the public release of iOS 17.5. With 17.4.1 and all prior releases on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, battery was at 20% (or even less than that) by 7:00 pm. Now I am ending my day at 10:00 pm with around 40% (same use).

Reactions: GoldenChild

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
That moment you have to charge your 15 Plus twice per day on vacation while my hand me down iPhone 12 Pro Max of my BF lasts him all day. What’s up with that 😵‍💫 taking photos and videos here and there seems to be a huge battery hog

Reactions: James6s

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
No bad reports from my testusers so far (around 100, iPhone 11, 13, 14 SE2, SE3) so will prob push this to all users during the weekend.
I have tried it on a few personal devices, iPad Pro 10.5, Iphone 13p and there seem to be a slight improvement in battery. Still a but to early to tell since I haven't been using it as I normaly do, but today will be a good run as I am traveling to work, lots of different WiFi networks and lots of spotify and meetings using Airpods.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
That moment you have to charge your 15 Plus twice per day on vacation while my hand me down iPhone 12 Pro Max of my BF lasts him all day. What’s up with that 😵‍💫 taking photos and videos here and there seems to be a huge battery hog
That's because when you take photos and videos the gps chip in your device is activated to add geotag data to your photos and videos.

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
That's because when you take photos and videos the gps chip in your device is activated to add geotag data to your photos and videos.
Not just that. All the individual pixels are analyzed in realtime for post-processing, shots taken at different exposures for HDR and a dozen things going on in the background. That’s why you often see other apps being reloaded if you had the camera app open for even a few seconds (more prominent in pre-12 models).

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Anyone with an A15 SoC and 4BG of RAM to report about battery life on 17.5 on their device? Thank you
I have a handful at work (13 and SE3) and 50+ iphone 14 that are in a testgroup trying iOS 17.5 untill I push it out to all users.
No reports from any of them so far. Its mixed usage on them, some only have company apps and some use them more or less are private devices with all sorts of crap on them.
Have a few friends that use 13 and they no complaints from them.

Most are coming from iOS 17.4.1, same as me (13P). If there would be a significant drop in battery time I would have heard it by now. But no one has commented that it has improved either. Maybe its to early to tell.

Most talk has been about the deleted photos bug.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
No complaints on 13 Pro since I installed 17.5, in fact I’d go as far to say it’s the best 17 version yet. Solid battery life is back, and performance is great.

Let’s hope 18 doesn’t mess it up…

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
No complaints on 13 Pro since I installed 17.5, in fact I’d go as far to say it’s the best 17 version yet. Solid battery life is back, and performance is great.

Let’s hope 18 doesn’t mess it up…
Thank you pal. The 13 Pro has 6GB of RAM but let’s hope those of us with just 4GB are fine as well.

Reactions: BigDO

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Any screenshots? Especially on older devices. You know, MacRumors had a cool tradition of creating battery threads for the latest iPhones every year. That tradition went from the iPhone 5s to the iPhone 7. It provided a cool baseline for each device: a mix of users with lighter and heavier usage. That allowed, like I said, a baseline: the original iOS version is the best battery life a device is ever going to get. You could see as time went by how major updates impacted them.

It was also interesting to see the difference between the models: you discovered that way that, just like Apple claimed, the iPhone 6s’ battery life was just as good as the iPhone 6, in spite of the mAh difference (1,810 vs 1,715 respectively if I’m not mistaken).

After the iPhone 8 and X were released, people pretty much never posted those threads again. I tried posting one as soon as the iPhone 11 launched (I wanted to see if, like I thought, the iPhone 11 had a similar battery life than that of my Xʀ on iOS 12), but it got exactly zero replies.

Without screenshots, saying “it’s fine” doesn’t mean much to me really. Sadly MacRumors stopped with that tradition, it would’ve been interesting, especially after the iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12, the iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 13 and the 13 Pro Max on iOS 15 really improved battery life.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: I7guy

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
No bad reports from my testusers so far (around 100, iPhone 11, 13, 14 SE2, SE3) so will prob push this to all users during the weekend.
I have tried it on a few personal devices, iPad Pro 10.5, Iphone 13p and there seem to be a slight improvement in battery. Still a but to early to tell since I haven't been using it as I normaly do, but today will be a good run as I am traveling to work, lots of different WiFi networks and lots of spotify and meetings using Airpods.
I’m sorry to set you as an example, but this comment is a good one.

“I’ve tried it on a 10.5-inch iPad Pro and an iPhone 13 Pro and (that iOS version) seems to have a small improvement in terms of battery life”. How much? How much screen-on time do you get on those two devices? Improvement relative to what?

If iOS 17.4.1 got, say, an absolutely abhorrent 5 hours of SOT, and iOS 17.5 gets 5h 10 minutes... it’s still abhorrent to those who are running older iOS versions.

This is my gripe with the general public’s reports, that they’re never specific enough, and they end up misleading people.

Compare that with something like this: “On my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, I got around 14 hours of SOT (+- one hour, since all battery cycles may have some variation) back on iOS 9. After Apple forced it out of iOS 9 into iOS 12 back in 2019, battery life dropped to about 10-11 hours, or a 25% drop. I never updated it again, and battery life remains steady almost 8 years after purchase. I’m a light user with efficient settings and my use case is content consumption, though not as light as iBooks”.

If somebody was considering updating from iOS 9 to iOS 12, they’d have a specific idea of what to expect. Light use? Scraping 10 hours, maybe a little more. Moderate use? It won’t get to 10 hours, maybe 8.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK

The only time I have to charge my 15 Pro through the day is if I am taking lots of photos, which I do regularly.

I don’t think it should be but the camera is the biggest drain, I guess that there’s lots going on while taking photos with the SoC doing all the computational stuff for post processing in milliseconds.

Other than that gripe the battery is the best on iOS 17.5 vs all previous versions.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The only time I have to charge my 15 Pro through the day is if I am taking lots of photos, which I do regularly.

I don’t think it should be but the camera is the biggest drain, I guess that there’s lots going on while taking photos with the SoC doing all the computational stuff for post processing in milliseconds.

Other than that gripe the battery is the best on iOS 17.5 vs all previous versions.
Camera use has always been heavy sadly, even on original iOS versions. Every iPhone will struggle with heavy camera use (especially if you are outdoor and henceforth need high brightness). There’s no solution for this, unfortunately.

Reactions: Populus and James6s

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Camera use has always been heavy sadly, even on original iOS versions. Every iPhone will struggle with heavy camera use (especially if you are outdoor and henceforth need high brightness). There’s no solution for this, unfortunately.

The only solution would be to take less photos…. I love taking photos and that’s not happening with such a great camera system in my pocket lol

Reactions: FeliApple

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Launch day iPhone 15 Pro just dropped to 97% today…

1715958658979.png

Tickled

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022

I tend to switch of the geotagging if I'm in one place and taking lots of pictures, it makes a significant difference.

mac_head

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
For me, battery life of my 15 Pro Max hasn’t changed a bit - I would even go as far as saying that it’s slightly worse than before. Background refresh is turned off, too..
iOS 17 is just tr*ash!!

Attachments

• IMG_1210.png
    IMG_1210.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.