Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
15 Plus so far today on 17.5 beta 3
This is the first screenshot in a while that kind of looks like it should - 10-11 hours of SOT.

Overall usage pattern? Settings? Brightness? Wi-Fi or cellular?

Sometimes I don’t know whether I’m too efficient or whether devices themselves are poor. Especially when looking at updated devices. How much of that poor SOT is due to the iOS versions and how much is it due to sheer inefficiency?

My iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 gives me 18.5 hours of SOT with efficient use.
IMO it doesn’t look good. As you said it was a mix of mobile data and WiFi but still. On WiFi it should be a way better.

I am still on 17.4 and today it was absolute ********. During Apple Music streaming via Bluetooth my iPhone 15 pro become warm and draining battery like crazy. Even though it was WiFi only. Yes I think it was a bug because I am using Apple Music and Bluetooth headphones everyday and usually it doesn’t behave like this. Anyway it is still unacceptable. Moreover after hard reset I don’t see any overheating but still battery behaves really weird. I was listening to music for 30 minutes and battery started at 23% and ended at 23%. After than in just one or two minutes it went down to 20%. I hate iPhone’s 15 pro battery. It is a disaster no matter what Apple does.
Therefore, under no circumstances should the latest iPhone give... what is that? 80-35% in two hours? Extrapolating to 5 hours being very generous.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
15 Plus so far today on 17.5 beta 3
That's 12 hours! Although 15 plus has a big battery inside, but great numbers nonetheless.
My guess is that smaller devices will get around 10 hours, maybe 8 for the smallest like the 13 mini or the SE3. Keep in mind that, I don't know what magic I do with my iPhone SE3, but I get between 7h with data, and 9h with WiFi, from 100% to 2 or 3% which is when I plug it in. With iOS 16, that's it.

Reactions: James6s

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
This is the first screenshot in a while that kind of looks like it should - 10-11 hours of SOT.

Overall usage pattern? Settings? Brightness? Wi-Fi or cellular?

Always with a mix of WiFi and cellular, auto brightness on, I’m quite heavy on social media apps and I take lots of photos, not a gamer.

The 15 Plus has a big battery & great battery life as a result.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Always with a mix of WiFi and cellular, auto brightness on, I’m quite heavy on social media apps and I take lots of photos, not a gamer.

The 15 Plus has a big battery & great battery life as a result.
Yeah, I mean, I get 7-8 hours on an iPhone 6s on iOS 10 with light use and 6 with moderate, outdoors, high brightness LTE use. Updated iPhones are obliterated and a different story, but new, original-version iPhones should be way better, 10-11 is the least they should be able to do.

I’m getting almost 19 hours on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 with light use. There’s no reason a new iPhone with moderate use should get 6. It typically signals that the use is extremely inefficient, and that there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah, I mean, I get 7-8 hours on an iPhone 6s on iOS 10 with light use and 6 with moderate, outdoors, high brightness LTE use. Updated iPhones are obliterated and a different story, but new, original-version iPhones should be way better, 10-11 is the least they should be able to do.

I’m getting almost 19 hours on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 with light use. There’s no reason a new iPhone with moderate use should get 6. It typically signals that the use is extremely inefficient, and that there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

My guess is that iOS 18 will come a significant hit on battery, especially for A12 and A13 devices. I mean, if they still support those SoC. If the oldest supported chip is the A13, those devices are probably gonna suffer… and won’t probably support many AI features.

Maybe Apple surprises us, and the minimum requirement is an A14 device, but that would mean support for only 2020 devices and newer, which would mean just 4 years of support. I don’t think they do that. We’ll see.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
M
My guess is that iOS 18 will come a significant hit on battery, especially for A12 and A13 devices. I mean, if they still support those SoC. If the oldest supported chip is the A13, those devices are probably gonna suffer… and won’t probably support many AI features.

Maybe Apple surprises us, and the minimum requirement is an A14 device, but that would mean support for only 2020 devices and newer, which would mean just 4 years of support. I don’t think they do that. We’ll see.
Yeah, sadly, I think so too. iOS 16 and 17 already represent a significant drop when compared to iOS 15 and below. I have no reason to think that iOS 18 won’t further worsen that.

And I also agree, Apple will not drop support for A13 devices at a minimum. I’d even be inclined to think that A12 devices will be supported too; now... is that to their detriment? I’m inclined to think that it is. Time will tell.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Wiped my 15 Plus and did not restore from a back up with an IPSW install 1,5 weeks ago.

Today I woke up and the phone lost 12% over night due to „Find My“. Restarted the phone and suddenly it showed it 4% further down.

Health is supposedly still at 100%. Not sure what’s up with Find My apparently running 24/7

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Wiped my 15 Plus and did not restore from a back up with an IPSW install 1,5 weeks ago.

Today I woke up and the phone lost 12% over night due to „Find My“. Restarted the phone and suddenly it showed it 4% further down.

Health is supposedly still at 100%. Not sure what’s up with Find My apparently running 24/7
Are you on 17.4.1?

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
15 Pro usage so far today after being updated to 17.5 beta 4 this morning 📉

Attachments

• IMG_6292.jpeg
    IMG_6292.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6291.png
    IMG_6291.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 55

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
These of you that have Find My iPhone enabled on your iPhone 15/15 Pro/15 Pro Max devices, Do you also have "Find My Network" enabled under the Find My menu? Does having "Find My Network" enabled have a negative impact on battery life any more than just having Find My iPhone enabled? Would appreciate some feedback from someone who has done some testing with this feature and has figured out what degree of impact it has on battery life. I currently have Find My iPhone enabled but Find My Network disabled.

Last edited:

Bost85

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Switzerland
Good morning to everyone. New owner here of an A. Watch Ultra 2 all is fine in terms of battery and usage. However, after downloading the necessary apps in my iphone 14 pro (watch app, health and fitness) i realized a batter health drop from my phone. before the watch i never had those apps. Usually i always had 2.5 days of battery life even 3 days but now 1.5 with the same usage and flight mode at night. Any suggestions that have been activated since the purchase of the new watch that might have caused worse battery life of my phone?

Many thanks in advance
Alex

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe

I've seen drops in battery during a forced restart in the past but not sure it actually means something more than that it reads stats from the battery and "guesses" what percentage that's left.
Some say its good to once in a while (not every day) discharge the battery almost fully charge it up fully so that it "calibrates" not sure how applicable that is on the iPhone 15.

In the past there has been updates where phones needs to be re calibrated but that has been for specific models.
Apple don't mention calibration as something that should be done (from what I know) but a good few computer manufacturers do. But havin said that, BMS seem to be black magic sometimes...

When it comes to "find my" its constansly on for me as well (13pro) it doesn't seem to drain the battery but its annoying. Not sure what is causing it or if its normal when I have a number of other apple devices attached (airpod pro).

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I've seen drops in battery during a forced restart in the past but not sure it actually means something more than that it reads stats from the battery and "guesses" what percentage that's left.
Some say its good to once in a while (not every day) discharge the battery almost fully charge it up fully so that it "calibrates" not sure how applicable that is on the iPhone 15.

In the past there has been updates where phones needs to be re calibrated but that has been for specific models.
Apple don't mention calibration as something that should be done (from what I know) but a good few computer manufacturers do. But havin said that, BMS seem to be black magic sometimes...

When it comes to "find my" its constansly on for me as well (13pro) it doesn't seem to drain the battery but its annoying. Not sure what is causing it or if its normal when I have a number of other apple devices attached (airpod pro).
Do you just have find my iphone enabled or also find my network?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Do you just have find my iphone enabled or also find my network?
Took a while to find that menu, but yes, I have "Find my network". Very interesting, will have to read up about this. THe description tells a but curious top find out more now.
As far as I can understand it means that if its turned off or in low power mode its still possible to track it. Doesn't sound like it would draining batteries but maybe that the icon is on quite a lot.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
These are my battery stats from today on my iPhone 15 Pro, Charged iPhone to 100% Overnight and Unplugged iPhone from Charger at 6:10AM.

9 and a half hours of screen active time. It is 5:29PM now and I have 29% battery left

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpeg
    IMG_2044.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 36

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
These are my battery stats from today on my iPhone 15 Pro, Charged iPhone to 100% Overnight and Unplugged iPhone from Charger at 6:10AM.

9 and a half hours of screen active time. It is 5:29PM now and I have 29% battery left
Decent, about 8 hours 100-30%. Extrapolates to about 10 hours. Usage looks moderate, but, yeah, that’s the typical battery life of an original iOS version device with that usage.

I reckon that if I were to use it like that, perhaps with higher brightness than I’m used to, I’d get a similar number on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12.

Reactions: GoldenChild

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Decent, about 8 hours 100-30%. Extrapolates to about 10 hours. Usage looks moderate, but, yeah, that’s the typical battery life of an original iOS version device with that usage.

I reckon that if I were to use it like that, perhaps with higher brightness than I’m used to, I’d get a similar number on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12.
Do you also have Find My iPhone enabled? What about “Find My Network”?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Does it really make that huge of a difference when it’s turned off?
I have left that on all the time since I feel „safe” when it’s enabled.
I can only speculate. But after reading up on what it does I'd guess no.
But I don't know if this function changes things such as reserving a small amount of battery (for when its off) or similar.
I know there are other functions available when the phone is off that requires battery power (such as express cards).

Interesting feature that it would be fun to get to know more about how its designed to work.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Not been using much this morning and idle drain is brilliant on my 15 Pro running 17.5 beta 4…. It’ll drop like a stone this afternoon 😄

Attachments

• IMG_6729.png
    IMG_6729.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 26
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.