Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So if my intention is to find out how long my battery lasts on average I should actually just check when it was charged last and when I have to charge it next.

For instance, I completed the charge on my iPhone 15 Plus to 80 % at 11:30 am yesterday, it is now down to 35 % by 1:30 pm the next day. Therefore I lost only 45 % in more than 24 hours. This is actually pretty good I guess?

In the past I would always look at the Screen On time and wondered how the F people can get to 10 hours of Screen On time while mine was sitting at less than 3 hours.
If you want to know, you should add individual hour bars from when you unplugged until you charge it again. In your example, add every bar from 11:00 to 13:30 the following day. If the period of time elapsed surpasses 24 hours, you have to manually track the time that exceeds these 24 hours: from 11:00 to 14:00 or 15:00, add it up and write it down. Afterwards, add that to the rest of the cycle.

Before you say it: yes, for cycles that surpass 24 hours, this is annoying and requires manual tracking.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
Vert very same.iClouds looks like that
I understand that we are trying to get battery as best as possible but hmmm…turning off such a great features looks absolutely unexplainable to me. Stocks journal Freeform fine but notes health calendar and messages? I mean why? First you will lose everything when you destroy your iPhone. It can even be a software issue which leads to bricking your phone. Second if you have MacBook or iPad you don’t have synchronized data…unless I am wrong.
I get it that maybe you don’t usr them but as someone said before. You don’t really know when you will need them. Beside I also made a lot of tests. Usually it doesn’t make any sense to turning them off. Maybe iCloud apps drain more because they send data everyone you create new note etc but still. How much will you safe? 1-2%. Moreover if you turned them off you don’t use them so you don’t lose anything but when you will need them…oh you will have absolutely nothing brudasem you’ve never synced your data. I get your point but I don’t understand it.

Last edited:

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
The battery of my mobile phone is in good condition at present. The health status is still maintained at 100%.

Device: iPhone 15Pro Max

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I understand that we are trying to get battery as best as possible but hmmm…turning off such a great features looks absolutely unexplainable to me. Stocks journal Freeform fine but notes health calendar and messages? I mean why? First you will lose everything when you destroy your iPhone. It can even be a software issue which leads to bricking your phone. Second if you have MacBook or iPad you don’t have synchronized data…unless I am wrong.
I get it that maybe you don’t usr them but as someone said before. You don’t really know when you will need them. Beside I also made a lot of tests. Usually it doesn’t make any sense to turning them off. Maybe iCloud apps drain more because they send data everyone you create new note etc but still. How much will you safe? 1-2%. Moreover if you turned them off you don’t use them so you don’t lose anything but when you will need them…oh you will have absolutely nothing brudasem you’ve never synced your data. I get your point but I don’t understand it.
I have iCloud disabled for notes and messages as well. My iMessage History dates back to approx 2016 and takes up over 20gb on my device so icloud wouldn’t be able to store them anyway as the free storage on iCloud is 5gb. As far as notes go, I use notes throughout the day and don’t need the iCloud syncing to constantly take place when I’m writing or editing various notes every single day.

On another note, Do you have iCloud enabled for the “Home” app?

Last edited:

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I’m sorry to burst your bubble but you’re only fooling yourself thinking you’re saving battery life by turning these system services off. As a matter of fact, to the contrary. I’ve done A/B testing on my new iPhone 15 Pro with these system services On/Off and my battery life was actually BETTER with them on which is contrary to any logical sense as you’d expect battery life to be worse when location services are turned on and constantly being accessed by the operation system and these system services. Try your iPhone for 24 hours with the system services on and report back here, make sure significant locations is turned on as well.

So true..

I wish I knew this a long time ago from following “battery savings guides” but eventually I did some A/B testing myself and my findings mirrored yours lol

You’d think that it would be the other way around but nope! It seems Apple knows their OS and the ins and outs to have it running efficiently regardless of which chipset it’s using.

One question though, what do you do with Background App Refresh? I feel like the same inverse thing would happen if you turned it completely off!

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
So true..

I wish I knew this a long time ago from following “battery savings guides” but eventually I did some A/B testing myself and my findings mirrored yours lol

You’d think that it would be the other way around but nope! It seems Apple knows their OS and the ins and outs to have it running efficiently regardless of which chipset it’s using.

One question though, what do you do with Background App Refresh? I feel like the same inverse thing would happen if you turned it completely off!
I have background app refresh completely turned off. Never tried turning it on and trying to perform an A/B test but the notion of allowing apps the ability to run in the background fetching data without me actually using the app just for the sake of I don’t even know what is not appealing to me at all and I rather keep that off.

By the way as far as System Services go, it’s worth noting that I have the ones (there are 3 system services in total) under “Product Improvement” disabled as they have no benefit to us as iPhone users and only benefit Apple by collecting and sending usage data.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I have background app refresh completely turned off. Never tried turning it on and trying to perform an A/B test but the notion of allowing apps the ability to run in the background fetching data without me actually using the app just for the sake of I don’t even know what is not appealing to me at all and I rather keep that off.

By the way as far as System Services go, it’s worth noting that I have the ones (there are 3 system services in total) under “Product Improvement” disabled as they have no benefit to us as iPhone users and only benefit Apple by collecting and sending usage data.
I would try to do an A/B test to see what you get lol. Apparently, having it on on certain apps means they don't have to load content every time you open your app. And if you open certain apps a lot throughout the day, it may benefit maybe by it learning when you usually open them throughout the day?

I have it set to Wifi only though. I don't need them to use cellular data in the background.

I'll disable those under Product Improvement and see if it's better. Thanks for the tip!

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I would try to do an A/B test to see what you get lol. Apparently, having it on on certain apps means they don't have to load content every time you open your app. And if you open certain apps a lot throughout the day, it may benefit maybe by it learning when you usually open them throughout the day?

I have it set to Wifi only though. I don't need them to use cellular data in the background.

I'll disable those under Product Improvement and see if it's better. Thanks for the tip!
Have you tried doing an A/B comparison? I honestly rather not mess around with background app refresh.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It is now 9:44pm. I unplugged the iPhone 15 Pro from the charger at approximately 7AM this morning, these are my battery stats for today. Battery has lasted pretty much all day. All system services including significant locations enabled.

Attachments

• IMG_1489.png
    IMG_1489.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 72

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
It is now 9:44pm. I unplugged the iPhone 15 Pro from the charger at approximately 7AM this morning, these are my battery stats for today. Battery has lasted pretty much all day. All system services including significant locations enabled.

That’s pretty good! I have a 15 Pro and use the 80% limit and usually back on charge between 30-40% in the hope of preserving the battery health longer term lol. Is this a normal charge routine for you? What is your battery health & cycle count out of interest?

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
That’s pretty good! I have a 15 Pro and use the 80% limit and usually back on charge between 30-40% in the hope of preserving the battery health longer term lol. Is this a normal charge routine for you? What is your battery health & cycle count out of interest?
I also use 80% limit and usually I end a day close to 20% or below and still 100% of original capacity.

Reactions: James6s

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpeg
    IMG_1492.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: James6s

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Battery life has been quite stupendous with your recommendations on location services and trying background app refresh turned off , although I haven’t left the house today lol

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
I’m so done “optimizing” my settings to make my phone last longer. It feels like a fool’s errand now. Bluetooth and cellular are back on since last night with no noticeable impact as well as all background app refresh + my old location settings.

Edit: Context
My 14PM has lasted all day almost every day since I got it (Nov 2022) and has only died on me twice. I just don’t see the point anymore

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Can anyone confirm if battery health updates in real-time, at certain intervals or after a reboot? Does anyone know?
I’m certain that it doesn’t update at certain intervals or after a reboot.

I think Apple’s battery health tab is more of an average throughout a certain timeframe rather than the immediate reading: any Coconut Battery user will tell you that real-time measurements fluctuate a lot. Apple’s battery health doesn’t.

So I reckon it updates when that average changes.

Reactions: Helmsley

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I’m certain that it doesn’t update at certain intervals or after a reboot.

I think Apple’s battery health tab is more of an average throughout a certain timeframe rather than the immediate reading: any Coconut Battery user will tell you that real-time measurements fluctuate a lot. Apple’s battery health doesn’t.

So I reckon it updates when that average changes.

Thank you.

I'm just suspicious that my iPhone 13 is still showing 100% battery health after just over a year...I'm kind of expecting it to drop suddenly.

Paul_W

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Rutland, UK
Thank you.

I'm just suspicious that my iPhone 13 is still showing 100% battery health after just over a year...I'm kind of expecting it to drop suddenly.
You may have got lucky and got a battery that exceeded the design capacity from new. I had the same with my old iPhone 6. At 5 years old it was still showing 100%. I still got it replaced as by then it couldn’t provide higher voltages so was causing the phone to throttle the cpu.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You may have got lucky and got a battery that exceeded the design capacity from new. I had the same with my old iPhone 6. At 5 years old it was still showing 100%. I still got it replaced as by then it couldn’t provide higher voltages so was causing the phone to throttle the cpu.
That’s just a misread though, there’s no way it was at 100% after five years.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thank you.

Doesn't sound normal if you have been using it and prob charged in every other day. What OS version you running?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Doesn't sound normal if you have been using it and prob charged in every other day. What OS version you running?
Depends on usage, my Xʀ also took about a year on iOS 12. It’s possible that it remains stable for a while.

My iPhone Xʀ is now at 93%. It last dropped... over two years ago, back in March 2022.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.