Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 17, Apple has made sharing files and media easier than ever, thanks to a cool new AirDrop proximity feature that does most of the work for you.

airdrop-videos-ios-17.jpg

In prior versions of iOS, transferring a file or photo between Apple devices involves opening the file in question, tapping the Share button, selecting AirDrop, then choosing the nearby device you want to send the file to.

With iOS 17, this procedure still exists for sharing between Apple devices, but if you're transferring between iPhones then you can cut out some of the typical sharing steps by using AirDrop's new proximity feature.

To initiate a transfer, select the photo or file that you want to share with someone. From there, simply bring your unlocked ‌iPhone‌ next to the other person's unlocked ‌iPhone, and your device will pop up a share interface without you having to tap on the Share Sheet.

Tap the Share button that pops up to send the photo or file to the person next to you, and it will be received on the other device automatically, with permission granted through their proximity.
airdrop-proximity-sharing.jpg

Note that sharing files this way works even if AirDrop receiving is turned off or limited to contacts, so it offers a way to share a file with someone without having to change your overall AirDrop settings.

Enable or Disable AirDrop Proximity Sharing

We're used to AirDrop working with someone in the same room and involving a few manual steps, but the proximity sharing feature makes transfers between two devices virtually effortless. Of course, if you don't like the idea of proximity sharing, you can turn it off. Here's how it's done in iOS 17.
  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap through to General -> AirDrop.
  3. Toggle the switch next to Bringing Devices Together on or off.
enable-disable-airdrop-proximity-sharing.jpg

That's all there is to it. Note that disabling this setting will also prevent the sharing of contacts via NameDrop. To learn about how contact sharing has also become easier than ever in iOS 17, check out our dedicated NameDrop how-to.

Article Link: iOS 17: How to Send Files and Photos With AirDrop Proximity Sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
AirDrop is by far my favourite iOS feature. I use it all the time with family.

It would be cool if you could send an encrypted file over the internet to someone on your friends list so you could share anything from anywhere.
Isn't that what the new 'AirDrop over the Internet' feature addresses? Although you do have to at least start the AirDrop while in close proximity IIRC.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Isn't that what the new 'AirDrop over the Internet' feature addresses? Although you do have to at least start the AirDrop while in close proximity IIRC.
Kind of. You can start the AirDrop next to each other and then move apart and it'll continue over the internet. What I would like to see is being able to do it when you are not next to each other.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I sometimes almost feel bad that my favourite feature in most Apple revisions over the last decade or so is usually the ‘off’ switch in settings. But I always appreciate when it’s there.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

It would be cool if you could send an encrypted file over the internet to someone on your friends list so you could share anything from anywhere.

It’s strange that in 2023 there are so many ways to do this but none of them are obvious. iMessage is the easy way to do exactly that. Between Apple devices anyway. The internet has turned into a bunch of silos. Information sharing is technically possible but they purposely don’t make it easy sometimes.

Stymyx

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2023
Yes. And Apple made fun of them for having to bring your devices close together to share :rolleyes:
Actually, as I recall, they were making fun of physically having to bump the two phones together to initiate a transfer. This new AirDrop is using NFC, so the phones only have to be brought within about 6 inches of one another to initiate the transfer. Still I prefer the "old" AirDrop. It seems like one has more control over that.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Not as seamless as something like Air Drop, but Bitwarden Send works well for this.

Last edited:

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
This somehow reminds me of the Mii games from the old Nintendo DS. Can I set it up so that when I pass by people I can send them on an adventure to battle monsters?

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Still I prefer the "old" AirDrop. It seems like one has more control over that.
It's still going to be an option, though, right?!

This new AirDrop is using NFC, so the phones only have to be brought within about 6 inches of one another to initiate the transfer.

Does that mean this will work even when WiFi and Bluetooth are both turned off — on both devices?

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA

Sounds a lot like Messages.... what am I missing?

Reactions: mijail

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Actually, as I recall, they were making fun of physically having to bump the two phones together to initiate a transfer. This new AirDrop is using NFC, so the phones only have to be brought within about 6 inches of one another to initiate the transfer. Still I prefer the "old" AirDrop. It seems like one has more control over that.
Seems like the person SENDING the file has all the control... I see someone walking thru a crowded space like a subway platform, mall, amusement park, etc., just sharing garbage to anyone with your proximity being your consent...

They need to rethink that one..

And I hate the setting is tied to the new feature of sharing contact cards via airdrop... Needs it's own toggle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.