Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Doesn’t work with my iPhone 14 Pro to my iPad Pro 2018. Is my iPad too old to get this capability?

dubiousgif

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2022
Doesn’t work with my iPhone 14 Pro to my iPad Pro 2018. Is my iPad too old to get this capability?
“The iPad does not support NFC due to hardware incompatibility issues. The feature is only possible if the device has an NFC chip and a supporting antenna. Only the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3 feature the chip, but they don't have the antennae, eliminating any chances of iPads running the software.” Maybe that’s the case for newer iPads too.

“So why is there an NFC chip at all, if it can’t be used for NFC? Two words: secure element. The NFC chip acts as secure storage of payment-related details, and even if you’re not using them for contactless payments in retail stores, Apple Pay can still draw upon that secure data for processing payments sent online. That’s reportedly why the NFC chips are present in these devices, even if their full capabilities are going unused.”

Cndnmax

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Can’t get it to work between my 11 pro and 13. Contact share works though.
Doesn’t seem to be any videos of someone doing it either so not sure if I’m missing a step…

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I hope this doesn’t work if the receiving phone’s screen is off. Otherwise you’re going to get a lot of unsolicited pictures while walking around in public.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
It would be cool if you could send an encrypted file over the internet to someone on your friends list so you could share anything from anywhere.
Kind of. You can start the AirDrop next to each other and then move apart and it'll continue over the internet. What I would like to see is being able to do it when you are not next to each other.
Isn't an email + Maildrop perfect for that? It's automatic, works with non-iCloud mail addresses (I use it with gmail), and you can be apart both in time and space.

The only limitation seems to be that you have to use Mail.app or the iCloud webmail interface.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarAnalogy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.