Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
There is an HDR image issue on the new iPad Pro OLED screens with saturated blues that Apple acknowledged they know about and is working on a fix.

Reactions: gank41

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Aaron Zollo saying 17.5.1 is immenent because something went wrong for EU users on 17.5
Something went wrong?? WTH? Haven’t they been testing this for a week (RC) and even more time during beta? What do they release beta for, then?

This things really get me upset. They already launched two different builds of 17.4.1, and now they are going to do this AGAIN??

Apple, this is what betas are for, not the final releases. FFS…

EDIT: okay, now I’m officially waiting for 17.5.1 :mad:

Reactions: Abthevolfan92

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Something went wrong?? WTH? Haven’t they been testing this for a week (RC) and even more time during beta? What do they release beta for, then?

This things really get me upset. They already launched two different builds of 17.4.1, and now they are going to do this AGAIN??

They didn’t have lots of new iPad Pros to test this software on in the wild until now. It sounds like the issue is a minor one which only affects some of the new iPads.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
They didn’t have lots of new iPad Pros to test this software on in the wild until now. It sounds like the issue is a minor one which only affects some of the new iPads.
Oh so this so-called 17.5.1 that is meant to solve problem people is having with European devices is just the OLED issue with the new iPad Pro?

I’m confused.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Oh so this so-called 17.5.1 that is meant to solve problem people is having with European devices is just the OLED issue with the new iPad Pro?
That’s what I gather. Maybe I’m understanding things wrong, but that’s what I think is going on. 👍🏻. I’ve been running iOS 17.5 on my iPhone 12, and haven’t run into any issues. I think my battery is actually better on this update so far. I’ve never run any beta versions on my iPhone. 👍🏻

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022

Ipad OS 17.5 is the only thing screwed up, IOS 17.5 is fine. I don't see why they need to roll out an update for both

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

I’m confused.
It's just an update for the initial build 17.4.x that was used during manufacturing of M4 iPad Pro's. New iPhones see that happen also. 17.5.1 at this time is not meant for anything else then iPad Pro's. There's a problem with blue rendering on OLED. Gee rush something out to beat the competition seems to have its drawbacks. :D

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I never once used an alternative App Store although I have the opportunity to do so here in the EU.
Never the less, I believe the freedom of choice is a good thing thou.
I do too. EU users used to have the freedom to make the choice to buy a secure platform or Android with sideloading, and now their secure platform choice is less secure thanks to some people legislating private businesses out of their freedom to choose what products/services they provide. Nothing about this kind of top down government regulation represents freedom to me.

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I do too. EU users used to have the freedom to make the choice to buy a secure platform or Android with sideloading, and now their secure platform choice is less secure thanks to some people legislating private businesses out of their freedom to choose what products/services they provide. Nothing about this kind of top down government regulation represents freedom to me.
The platform remains as secure as before. I don't know how afraid you are of something, that you don't even have to use if you don't want to. Here the biggest problem that Apple has is not the security of the platform, but the forecast of the drop in income due to the commissions that it was charging and that they calculate they will stop receiving.
And freedom is based on the power of people's choice, not on unilateral impositions. Although lately it seems that it is a crime that you can make decisions for yourself, because they tell you that you don't know and you have to let the company or government in power make them for you, because it is clear that they know better than yourself what is good for you.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
The platform remains as secure as before. I don't know how afraid you are of something, that you don't even have to use if you don't want to. Here the biggest problem that Apple has is not the security of the platform, but the forecast of the drop in income due to the commissions that it was charging and that they calculate they will stop receiving.
And freedom is based on the power of people's choice, not on unilateral impositions. Although lately it seems that it is a crime that you can make decisions for yourself, because they tell you that you don't know and you have to let the company or government in power make them for you, because it is clear that they know better than yourself what is good for you.
And you know that it “remains as secure as before”, or are these just more unfounded claims? Since you cannot possibly know every security vulnerability of iOS, and those who are far more familiar with the security vulnerabilities of iOS then you or I are saying that it does weaken security, I’m going to conclude you cannot make this statement as a statement of fact…

You also said: “Here the biggest problem that Apple has is not the security of the platform, but the forecast of the drop in income due to the commissions that it was charging and that they calculate they will stop receiving.” Another unsubstantiated claim with no merit. You cannot prove Apple’s motives, you’re just claiming to know their motives when you simply don’t. Why should I believe your opinion of their motives over what they say their motives are? Their actions seem consistent with trying to keep the platform as secure as possible, so I have no reason to doubt their motives…

People do have choice. They have choice between several different products. Nobody is forced at gunpoint to buy an iPhone with it’s “limitations” or advantages depending on the way you look at it. If people care about sideloading Super Mario Kart from I’mnotashadyscammer.com, there’s nothing stopping them from buying Android or another such option. The DMA is making decisions for individuals because the EU government thinks it knows better than the consumers who bought and buy iOS for the greater level of security and the lack of major security risks like sideloading.

And, “just don’t use it” doesn’t necessarily fix the security holes it could open up. And many could far more easily be tricked into sideloading malicious code now. Those who don’t understand it’s a major security risk because they’re used to the system being secure and not allowing such major vulnerabilities will possibly be easily convinced to sideload malicious code.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
You also said: “Here the biggest problem that Apple has is not the security of the platform, but the forecast of the drop in income due to the commissions
Yep, and this brings up another issue that people clearly aren't thinking about. Coding/developing iOS...isn't free. Less income means less money to spend on development...which means poorer software quality. And as the software quality decreases...people are going to complain about that as well. These people can call it Apple's "greed" all they want, but they'll also be among the first to complain when software quality sinks even lower while conveniently ignoring that less income = less money to spend on development.

Last edited:

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
And you know that it “remains as secure as before”, or are these just more unfounded claims? Since you cannot possibly know every security vulnerability of iOS, and those who are far more familiar with the security vulnerabilities of iOS then you or I are saying that it does weaken security, I’m going to conclude you cannot make this statement as a statement of fact…

You also said: “Here the biggest problem that Apple has is not the security of the platform, but the forecast of the drop in income due to the commissions that it was charging and that they calculate they will stop receiving.” Another unsubstantiated claim with no merit. You cannot prove Apple’s motives, you’re just claiming to know their motives when you simply don’t. Why should I believe your opinion of their motives over what they say their motives are? Their actions seem consistent with trying to keep the platform as secure as possible, so I have no reason to doubt their motives…

People do have choice. They have choice between several different products. Nobody is forced at gunpoint to buy an iPhone with it’s “limitations” or advantages depending on the way you look at it. If people care about sideloading Super Mario Kart from I’mnotashadyscammer.com, there’s nothing stopping them from buying Android or another such option. The DMA is making decisions for individuals because the EU government thinks it knows better than the consumers who bought and buy iOS for the greater level of security and the lack of major security risks like sideloading.

And, “just don’t use it” doesn’t necessarily fix the security holes it could open up. And many could far more easily be tricked into sideloading malicious code now. Those who don’t understand it’s a major security risk because they’re used to the system being secure and not allowing such major vulnerabilities will possibly be easily convinced to sideload malicious code.

Reactions: Kal Madda

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
We have chosen Apple for its ecosystem, with its benefits and faults, why do you want to have a sideload? If those of us who are users accept Apple's conditions!! I'm a resident of the EU, I don't like alternative stores since practically the store system is subscription, so when you leave the subscription, the apps stop working!!

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
What I thought. Nothing today. Possibly next week.
I'm with you, on Friday it's very difficult for them to release anything, so for next week, what really makes us wait for the new version 17.6 is to see if it was advances of IOS 18, otherwise it will be more polishing and improved stability of IOS 17.5, Happy Weekend friends!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Kal Madda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.