Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I know its early, but we are just over 3 months until iOS 17 betas start, lets use this thread to speak about things we would like and wish in the upcoming update.

For me its Split screen, New home page with new UI including 3d icons with shadows, interactive widgets.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I feel like it could be pretty boring but enough refinement and polish will hopefully make it a worthwhile update 💅🙏💕
yeah I hope we just get a new facelift at least if we dont get new features, I just feel the same Home Screen hasn't changed in like 10 years its over due

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
yeah I hope we just get a new facelift at least if we dont get new features, I just feel the same Home Screen hasn't changed in like 10 years its over due
It has been overdue for years in my perhaps unfair and selfish opinion but yeah I kind of agree with the vibe of @Steve121178 ’s post regarding any real, significant change coming next year if this year is all optimizations and stuff. Big overhauls and reworks, even seemingly superficial ones, tend to break things or at least sometimes result in unintended or unexpected behavior. I feel/hope iOS 18 is gonna be a big one, along with the iPhone 16 series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve121178

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I do hope we get a stability, like iOS 12 update, maybe with re-designed icons to match MacOS style and that's should be more than enough.
To be honest I wouldn’t like that, they have 3 months of beta testing to fix bugs that’s what the time should be for, any software minor or major will have bugs. Last year was a small update apart from the Lock Screen which got old very quickly nothing really changed; it’s always so minor year on year now, we need something exciting a fresh way to use our phones

Reactions: 17fox and sorgo †
Thank you for starting this thread.

I just want stability and performance improvements.

BFDFD19B-58C5-4B72-B8CD-0F0FB2C768B0.jpeg

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd love to see some consistency updates such as back and forth arrows on Safari are on bottom but on news they are on top.
Also, I'd like to see ability to set keep limits on things such as health activities and prior phone calls so it would delete after 3,6, year - as you can with messages

Reactions: sorgo †

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My wishlist: rock solid GM release. That’s all. Enough with the buggy mess for the last two versions. iOS is mature. No need to have another new tent pole features that will only be delivered months later. And stop screwing older phones and breaking things that were working fine before. Tell Craig to do his actual job instead of asking him to be the PR guy for other things.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Probably no major UI changes - maybe iOS 18 for that. I’m not sure they’ll bring the macOS style of stuff to iOS… from a design point of view I feel like they’re intentionally not homogenizing the visuals 1/1 in order to keep the product lines separated.

I’d love some new iPadOS stuff but ehh… we’ll see!

If realityos is dropping this year with the headset then I’m sure 90% of WWDC will be about that and demos and getting devs on board with the new APIs. That’s the stuff I’m REALLY excited about. Always cool to see Apples take on an existing market when they finally decide to join in

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I’m hoping for a couple of things. A few minor refinements for Stage Manager, a more customizable Status Bar that can behave more like the macOS Menu Bar on the iPad, and easier app icon customization. I also would love to see the macOS app icons on iOS and iPadOS as well, but even if they just make app icon customizations easier, I could do that myself more easily. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if we’ll get a redesigned Status Bar this go around if they don’t have as many resources devoted to it, but I think it could make some sense if they change the Notification Center. Sideloading could also be really big. I’m a bit concerned that they’re having to rush to make the changes, so it could make an impact in the level of security of the system, but it would be kind of interesting to see what changes that could bring about. An emulator like UTM Virtual Machines could be a major boon for some people on the iPad. I may even consider doing that if I’m convinced it’s secure enough, that way I could run macOS apps such as Blender on the iPad. I think Apple should role out a new set of tools for developers (think Catalyst 2.0) that allows developers to almost automatically port their Mac apps over to the iPad. I’m not sure if that’s going to happen this year, but I’m actually pretty convinced they will do this sometime in the future, especially considering the tools their giving developers in Swift for cross-platform features. I think eventually Apple will have a unified App Store ecosystem that gets the software on as many of their hardware platforms as makes sense (obviously Adobe Photoshop on the Apple Watch wouldn’t make any sense, unless a companion app? 🤔). I think iPadOS and macOS will inevitably become so similar that it will basically be more a choice of hardware than anything else. I’d argue it’s already pretty much there for average users and even pro artistics who don’t need full system-level file access, or a native Terminal app.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
I am really excited about the iOS 17!

Btw I want to say "hi" to the people listed below and I am hoping that they will see this message one day in the future:

Heidi - Anuk Steffen (Heidi) and Isabelle Ottmann (Klara)

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory - Julia Winter (Veruca Salt)

Gretel and Hansel - Sophia Lillis (Gretel)

Alice in Wonderland - Mia Wasikowska (Alice)

The Fox and The Child - Bertille Nöel-Bruneau (The Child)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.