Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
View attachment 2174984 I noticed a design decision regarding the iOS app icon for the new Apple Music Classical app. Unlike the standard iOS Apple Music app icon and most other iOS app icons, it uses a neumorphic design. I think this is possibly another sign that neumorphic app icons might be coming soon! 👍🏻

If you know anything about written music, it's a really crappy treble clef.

Reactions: gank41

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
If you know anything about written music, it's a really crappy treble clef.
Quite possibly, I’m not a music expert. It looks pretty much exactly like the treble clefs I see on sheet music, but then again, I’m no expert. Also there are visual considerations to take into account since its purpose is to serve as an app icon, not a piece of sheet music. I do know graphic design, and I do some freelance graphic design work. From that perspective, you want visual balance, especially when you’re inserting a symbol into a square, you don’t want it to be super skinny and tall, if that’s the difference you’re referring to. Anyhow, that’s just my two-cents, and it’s very possible I’m wrong. 👍🏻

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Quite possibly, I’m not a music expert. It looks pretty much exactly like the treble clefs I see on sheet music, but then again, I’m no expert. Also there are visual considerations to take into account since its purpose is to serve as an app icon, not a piece of sheet music. I do know graphic design, and I do some freelance graphic design work. From that perspective, you want visual balance, especially when you’re inserting a symbol into a square, you don’t want it to be super skinny and tall, if that’s the difference you’re referring to. Anyhow, that’s just my two-cents, and it’s very possible I’m wrong. 👍🏻

The top of a treble clef is supposed to point up, not to the right. It's also a drawn symbol, so you can't run the main line though the loop.

It's kinda nitpicky of me, I know. 😂

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Not sure why people would want macOS icons as they are the same as iOS but a few of them have little shadows. We need something truly new that moves away from the overall bland and white flat look that started with iOS 7.

And sooo many third party apps just lazily copied this design and use hideous flat white boring icons that haven’t changed in years. Just compare the current instagram icon to the original, they didn’t even try. There are some really good ones, and those are the ones I keep on my homescreen, all the ugly crap gets tossed into a folder or the App Library.
Maybe they’ll explore what’s called neumorphism? Or something like that. As far as I understand, it is sorta like a middle ground between skeuomorphic design, which I think is already outdated, and this current flat design. Subtle textures.

For instance, for the settings app, instead of the current flat design we could have the same design with a bit of depth. I think this, done with care, could give good aesthetics to iOS.

However, I honestly don’t see this changes coming. Even less for as soon as iOS 17.

As for what I expect for iOS 17, mainly refinements, efficiency and stability improvements, bug corrections, and… hopefully the third party app stores.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
View attachment 2174984 I noticed a design decision regarding the iOS app icon for the new Apple Music Classical app. Unlike the standard iOS Apple Music app icon and most other iOS app icons, it uses a neumorphic design. I think this is possibly another sign that neumorphic app icons might be coming soon! 👍🏻
Excuse me, but why is this icon neumorphic? Maybe I have a wrong concept about that design.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Excuse me, but why is this icon neumorphic? Maybe I have a wrong concept about that design.
I feel like this is fairly good example of the different design trends.

neumorphism-skeuomorphism-flat-compared.png

The skeuomorphic example isn't even that heavy, but you get the idea. Think the woodgrain and green felt from the original Game Center app. It's a literal visual translation of real word elements into digital ones.

Then flat design came, and honestly is solved a lot of problems that skeuomorphic design introduced. It allowed for more flexible designs that could be presented on a variety of screen sizes, resolutions, DPI, etc. Instead of using rasterized textures, it used vectors and code to draw the designs. Programmatic art/design essentially. But to its detriment, it lacked a lot of 'personality.' Design got really homogenous at this point.

Now neumorphic design is entering the mainstream. Design sites like Dribbble have featured work like this for a few years now, and big companies are starting to embrace it. A lot of the design/rendering is still programmatic (like with flat design), but now you can add more fidelity with things like gradients, lights/shadows that weren't as easy to support before.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I feel like this is fairly good example of the different design trends.

View attachment 2175227

The skeuomorphic example isn't even that heavy, but you get the idea. Think the woodgrain and green felt from the original Game Center app. It's a literal visual translation of real word elements into digital ones.

Then flat design came, and honestly is solved a lot of problems that skeuomorphic design introduced. It allowed for more flexible designs that could be presented on a variety of screen sizes, resolutions, DPI, etc. Instead of using rasterized textures, it used vectors and code to draw the designs. Programmatic art/design essentially. But to its detriment, it lacked a lot of 'personality.' Design got really homogenous at this point.

Now neumorphic design is entering the mainstream. Design sites like Dribbble have featured work like this for a few years now, and big companies are starting to embrace it. A lot of the design/rendering is still programmatic (like with flat design), but now you can add more fidelity with things like gradients, lights/shadows that weren't as easy to support before.
Yes, thanks for the explanation. So this new design language is how I imagined it, that’s why I told Kal that I didn’t understand why the Apple Music Classic is neumorphic: it doesn’t have depth on its elements (or I just don’t see it).

EDIT: ok, on the symbol itself, there are two layers of depth, with some shadows. Now I see it.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yes, thanks for the explanation. So this new design language is how I imagined it, that’s why I told Kal that I didn’t understand why the Apple Music Classic is neumorphic: it doesn’t have depth on its elements (or I just don’t see it).

EDIT: ok, on the symbol itself, there are two layers of depth, with some shadows. Now I see it.
Ya, that last bit is why I consider it neumorphic. Sorry I didn’t give you a more detailed explanation earlier, I had to respond quick because I was working. Most other iOS app icons lack the shading visible in the AMC app icon. However, the macOS app icons (which many including myself would classify as neumorphic) have identical attributes. This is why I think this new icon could be a sign that Apple might be ready to update all of the icons to the ones found on macOS. It would make for a slightly more seamless experience between the platforms. This paired with the new Advanced Data Protection page in the Settings app in the iOS 16.4 beta have me really hopeful! 👍🏻

Reactions: Populus

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Ya, that last bit is why I consider it neumorphic. Sorry I didn’t give you a more detailed explanation earlier, I had to respond quick because I was working. Most other iOS app icons lack the shading visible in the AMC app icon. However, the macOS app icons (which many including myself would classify as neumorphic) have identical attributes. This is why I think this new icon could be a sign that Apple might be ready to update all of the icons to the ones found on macOS. It would make for a slightly more seamless experience between the platforms. This paired with the new Advanced Data Protection page in the Settings app in the iOS 16.4 beta have me really hopeful! 👍🏻

But the mac icons are the same.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
They are literally the exact same icons except some have a little shadowing. The same bland icons that have been on the iPhone since iOS 7! If they are going to change them, give us something new!
That “little shadowing” is the difference between neumorphic design and flat design. If they made app icon customization easier, it would appeal to all camps. Personally though, I’d really like to see the macOS app icons as the default icons for all Apple platforms.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Why do they seem likely?
Ah, I was browsing through posts on page 2 of this thread and saw screenshots from a YouTube video. At first glance I thought this was displaying totally new icons, but at closer look they appear to the the macOS icons used in the Data Protection splash screen. So, maybe not at likely as I had originally thought.

I do think iOS is ready for some kind of visual treatment, but now that I looked closer at that post I'm not so sure again haha.

pianostar9

macrumors regular
Reactions: Kal Madda

ddsdude

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
The
I do hope we get a stability, like iOS 12 update, maybe with re-designed icons to match MacOS style and that's should be more than enough.
Tim loves you. Big time. If that's all they did, it would be a huge disappointment. Stability is something they should be refining throughout the year. It should not be a defining feature of a major update. I don't give two dongs about redesigned icons. Give me functionality man. At least bring it up to par with android with things like SPLIT SCREEN MULTITASKING (With the fastest mobile CPU on the planet, how pathetic is it that you still can't run 2 apps? Very!), an actual file manager on Pro models, interactive widgets. Apple has more than enough resources to crush Android but just refuses. I don't get it.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
The

Tim loves you. Big time. If that's all they did, it would be a huge disappointment. Stability is something they should be refining throughout the year. It should not be a defining feature of a major update. I don't give two dongs about redesigned icons. Give me functionality man. At least bring it up to par with android with things like SPLIT SCREEN MULTITASKING (With the fastest mobile CPU on the planet, how pathetic is it that you still can't run 2 apps? Very!), an actual file manager on Pro models, interactive widgets. Apple has more than enough resources to crush Android but just refuses. I don't get it.
You have to realize that probably 90% of users don’t care about that stuff. Not saying those features aren’t useful but your average person probably doesn’t care and is satisfied with the current state of iOS aside from the bugs. You should definitely try out android based on your demands though, seems like you’d really like it!

Reactions: Kal Madda

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
The

I totally agree, except on one thing, I give 3 dongs about new icons, or more importantly, the ability for to just easily install icon packs from the App Store or wherever. The Homescreen is so stale, give us some customization options once and for all.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
The

There’s no need to be rude. Honestly, I’ve never heard of splitscreen on a phone, and I’m not sure how much I’d actually use it. That aside, if you think Android is so much better and iOS has to be “brought up to par” then why aren’t you using Android? Many of us like iOS as it is, and don’t need giant changes to the system, in fact, iOS’s consistency in UI is one of the reasons I originally switched. There’s no need to completely re-design an OS every few years, that creates confusion and inconsistency. Apple does a good job at keeping their OS more consistent, which can’t really be said of Android or even Windows in my opinion. That said, I do hope for a bit more than just “stability improvements”. I’d like a couple of new features at least. I don’t really understand the people who want “just bug fixes” because, honestly, I haven’t run into any bugs on iOS or iPadOS 16 this entire time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.