Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMafioso

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
I can't believe you guys are saying IOS is laggy. I'm android user myself and hate the lag on it. I used to think the only reason why I might switch to IOS in future would be smoothness/lack of lag on IOS till the device is supported by apple unlike android where the upgrades causes lag. Guess, I have to rethink now.

Slumpey

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Charlotte
Agree that 5.1.1 is great. I'm still on it and my Iphone 4 is jailbroken. Actually, went to 6.1.3 (tethered jailbreak) but did not like it so I went back to 5.1.1 (untethered jailbreak). All my apps work great and my installed Cydia tweaks (i.e. gestures, multitasking, toggle controls) make my Iphone feel fast. May decide to upgrade to IOS 7.X.X, but won't until it's jailbroken. Way too fugly.

Critterbug

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Foster City, CA
5.1 Restore

I have a question I've been meaning to ask, and this seems like a good place.
I just got my 3GS unlocked so I can try t-mobile. Of course it was an att phone, so I'll have hook it up to iTunes with the new sim. When I do the restore, will I be able to keep the OS I have now, or will it want me to update. I'd rather keep what I have.
Thanks!

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Actually ios 5.0.1 IS THE BEST ios ever. I tried ios 4.3.5 and I have to say it was a bit laggy and safari and app store were "continental drift" slow. So I tried 5.0.1: no camera lag, no folder lag, no "app to home screen" lag, safari speedy, battery life decent and jailbroken with a few daemons deleted, I managed to make my iphone 4 even more faster, it gained 60 mb of ram.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Let's see... iOS 5 actually supported 8 devices, not 7, and iOS 7 supports 12 devices. That is the only category iOS 7 wins in. iOS 6 doesn't lag on 9 of 10 devices (lags on the iPhone 3GS, which was 3 years old. Does this remind you of the iPhone 4 on iOS 7?), has great battery life, supports 10 devices, and is jailbreakable on all of them as long as it is 6.1.2. Oh, and there are apparently 200+ more features than iOS 5, so I think iOS 6 wins, but I like iOS 7 better :rolleyes:

----------

I have a question I've been meaning to ask, and this seems like a good place.
I just got my 3GS unlocked so I can try t-mobile. Of course it was an att phone, so I'll have hook it up to iTunes with the new sim. When I do the restore, will I be able to keep the OS I have now, or will it want me to update. I'd rather keep what I have.
Thanks!

Why do you need to restore? Anyway, you will have to update to iOS 6.1.3 if you restore.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
iPhone OS 1.0 is the best version of iOS ever. It couldn't do much, but there were no older devices for people to complain about it lagging on, so it's got that going for it...

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
iOS 5 is 100% the best iOS but NOT 5.1.1.....The jailbreak for 5.1.1 is horrible compared to the jailbreak for 5.0.1. Don't believe me? Just compare the boot times between a jailbroken 5.1.1 device and a jailbroken 5.0.1 device...

You can't even compare boot times, let alone how many times this stupid crashes on me and 5.0.1 NEVER did (all same apps/mods/etc).

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Let's see... iOS 5 actually supported 8 devices, not 7, and iOS 7 supports 12 devices. That is the only category iOS 7 wins in. iOS 6 doesn't lag on 9 of 10 devices (lags on the iPhone 3GS, which was 3 years old. Does this remind you of the iPhone 4 on iOS 7?)
iOS 6 runs extremely well on 3GS. iOS 7 is beyond unusable on 4.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California
All those cool new features in iOS 7,new devices....but is that really the best?

Lets take a look at iOS 5.1.1:

Pros:
-Stable and non laggy
-Great battery life
-Suports 7 iOS devices
-Jailbreakable on all 7 iOS devices
-even the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 dont lag

Cons
-Without jailbreak the same old iOS

So it is really good,stable and nice.I think that we can agree that it was the best iOS ever :D
it lags pretty hardcore on my iPod Touch 3G jailbroken.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I really miss the youtube app from iOS 5.. but nothing much else.. My iPhone 3GS was much better in iOS 6 than in iOS 5, the same with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

I do remember however that iOS 5 was great when it came out. At the time I had an iPod Touch 4 and while a little laggy, I remember being pleasantly surprised by the new features.

Now however, I've fallen for iOS 7 but when I use my 3GS (now my music phone) there are things I miss... I liked the iOS 6 music player better, the old airplay location, some of the old icons, the old notifications centre....

Time will tell how much I like iOS 8 :p

darmr

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
iOS 5.1.1 on two first gen iPads and it really does work well on both.
Bit sad about missing out on some app updates but I'd rather have the stability with the apps I use than have problems with performance.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 5.1.1 on two first gen iPads and it really does work well on both.
Bit sad about missing out on some app updates but I'd rather have the stability with the apps I use than have problems with performance.

Well, you can't really go beyond that version on those devices anyway.

darmr

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Well, you can't really go beyond that version on those devices anyway.

Sure, I just wanted to give credit where it's deserved.
Great devices and iOS release.. We still use the devices daily and they work great. 5.1.1 was the natural stopping point.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, I just wanted to give credit where it's deserved.
Great devices and iOS release.. We still use the devices daily and they work great. 5.1.1 was the natural stopping point.
Yeah, in that case seems like they found the right stopping point. Also I think the iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 seemed like a good stopping point as well.

darmr

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Yeah, in that case seems like they found the right stopping point. Also I think the iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 seemed like a good stopping point as well.

It sure is, when we first updated the iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 here we initially regretted the update wishing we had a way back to iOS 5. White screen and other issues were instantly cleared with a restore. Since the restore the 3GS has worked without problems and is still used daily by my wife.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I believe iOS 6 is the worst iOS ever.
Battery life on my iOS 7 beta is better than iOS 6...
Seeing as iOS 7 is polarizing...I can understand why you like iOS 5 the most.

On the other hand....I think youre trying to rationalize it to yourself. I give it about 2 months. you'll end up updating.

You are forgetting the removal of Google Maps, not to mention the introduction of Apple Maps. :p

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 was, by far, my favorite combination of hardware and software. Second would be the iPhone 5 on 6.1.4.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 was, by far, my favorite combination of hardware and software. Second would be the iPhone 5 on 6.1.4.

Exactly what I'm running now and I can tell it iPhone 4 w/5.0.1 was better....It takes 2-3 minutes to boot up (cold) because of the 5.1.1 jailbreak while under the 5.0.1 jailbreak, it took under 30 seconds.

Also, 5.0.1 almost never crashed into safe mode...Like maybe once a month during constant usage. This stupid 5.1.1 crashes once ever other day...I would upgrade to 6.x if I had the chance but because of the Cydia screwup (thought they generated proper 6.x SHSH blobs but actually didn't), I can't :confused:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Don't underestimate the iPhone 4 on 4.2.6 (stock).
Smooth without issue or lag.
Runs like a brand new 4S would be expected to run.

I have one on PagePlusCellular ($12. a month plan) as a back-up iPhone and prefer it at times over my 5.

urasia

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Here are a few other reasons why i still use ios 5 as an old device user:

-Simplistic looking os
-easy to use & navigate
-Has a youtube app that is simplistic, fast, and easy
-no useless implemented features, like fingerprint, parralax effect or panorama
-not too many fancy animations that slow you down
-enjoyable theme and ''feel''

cons:
-some apps dont support ios 5 (seriously its very annoying)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.