Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
cons:
-some apps dont support ios 5 (seriously its very annoying)

MOST apps don't work lol...

See THIS thread...Apple is basically forcing us to update for apps....I already did to iOS 7 unfortunetly, as much as I loved iOS 5 and I will say it was definitely a huge hassle but iOS 7 itself is not as bad as I would have thought....Still bad, but not THAT bad...

urasia

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
MOST apps don't work lol...

See THIS thread...Apple is basically forcing us to update for apps....I already did to iOS 7 unfortunetly, as much as I loved iOS 5 and I will say it was definitely a huge hassle but iOS 7 itself is not as bad as I would have thought....Still bad, but not THAT bad...

Yeah... even the simplest apps are not supported for ios 5.
also, it sometimes allows me to download the latest compatible version, but some apps restrict that and i have to install an ipa for it...
in other cases, the apps are just buggy/crashing for its last compatible version, and im forced to install the newest version which fixes those bugs. since i cant do that due to compatibilty issue, i cant use these apps at all. the devs should seriously support users who cant afford the new stuff.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
5.1.1 is great on old iPhones

Runs great on my iPhone 4, and is lightning fast on my iPhone 4S. Seriously, its stunning on my 4S....forgot how amazing it was when the 4S came out. If one is not too picky about certain apps, I think its one of the best iphone software/hardware combos

I made a Custom firmware for my 4 so I can go between 7.1.2 and 5.1.1 whenever I need to. Its great!

My 4S I just keep it jailbroken with update killer installed so I don't accidently upgrade it!

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
I made a Custom firmware for my 4 so I can go between 7.1.2 and 5.1.1 whenever I need to. Its great!

Like you can select at boot or custom (and signed) .ipsw files that you can restore via iTunes? Because I could have done that too, but 5.1.1 was crashing for me too often, boot too long to boot, and couldn't download ANY new apps.

iOS 7 looks like crap and the UI isn't very user friendly but it boots in under 10 seconds (iOS 5.1.1 with jailbreak takes 1-2 minutes), hasn't crashed to date, and I can download any app and get updates for them as well.

Probably has a lot to do with the jailbreak...New respect for the Chinese because their iOS 7 jailbreak is obviously MUCH better than redsn0w ever was....

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Like you can select at boot or custom (and signed) .ipsw files that you can restore via iTunes? Because I could have done that too, but 5.1.1 was crashing for me too often, boot too long to boot, and couldn't download ANY new apps.

iOS 7 looks like crap and the UI isn't very user friendly but it boots in under 10 seconds (iOS 5.1.1 with jailbreak takes 1-2 minutes), hasn't crashed to date, and I can download any app and get updates for them as well.

Probably has a lot to do with the jailbreak...New respect for the Chinese because their iOS 7 jailbreak is obviously MUCH better than redsn0w ever was....

Yep, its easy to do with A4 devices (and I think its only possible with A4 devices and below, if I'm not mistaken)

Gives one the option to go with iOS 7 and iOS 5 and in between. I understand what you mean regarding iOS 7, I suppose if there were apps I needed I would certainly follow suit. Its much superior in that regard and if one is a heavy app user then its important to stick with ios 7.

However the apps I tend to primarily use work on iOS 5 (basic social apps, dropbox, and a few workout apps thats it - rest is music) so its not as advantageous for me.

Myself, I slightly prefer iOS 7 & 8 design over the older one (seem to be of minority opinion on that), but I find the older iOS runs a lot faster and seems to give my 4 better battery life.

Best of both worlds!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.