Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Well I bought my first ipod 4g 64GB about two years ago and had enjoyed it for a very long time. Well iOS 6 came around and chose to upgrade...what a mistake. At first the App Store crashed constantly on my apps were slow and laggy. Apple had me do a bunch of diagnostics such as restoring the device; hard resetting; and many other tasks finally deciding that my almost 2 year old iPod had hardware issues and when I sent it in; they diagnosed it as having hardware issues. I had NO problems with this iPod prior to iOS 6. Well I received a new iPod and it seemed to work fined till just a little bit after the 90 day warranty and apps started running laggy, slow, and crashing. I restored it and it would not sync properly so I restored after that then the iPod would never sync with iTunes again. I reinstalled iTunes and did a bunch of diagnostic stuff over the phone and guess what...yet another iPod suffers hardware failure and I am having to send it in. Fortunately Apple supervisors have waived the repair cost in both instances but as a lesson learned; whatever you do; do NOT upgrade to iOS 6 on a iPod touch 4g. This update is an iPod killer and has really shifted my view of Apple as a premium product creator to some company that spends the lowest dollar amounts to make their products in China and not only that; they do not test the firmware before they release it! Over the phone I was told a lie which was "Our users have intensively tested iOS 6 before it was released". I clearly spotted the lie and said "Actually your point is invalid because I know that you limit testing to developers ONLY. Not only this; I was referred once to a tech support supervisor named Mark who laughed at me when I told him I expected my iPod to be fixed and he hang up on me and also said to me when I asked for customer relations "You are going have to call back and ask". This guy is a liar and should be fired! Even though Apple has offered free repairs on my devices; I am really doubting about buying a Apple product due to their piss poor product testing and some of their employees really do not deserve to be there. This is my story of me and Apple. Thanks for reading.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Interesting post, I was just about to do this upgrade but now maybe I'll upgrade to iOS 5 instead.

We'd like to see a follow up post on how this worked out.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Interesting post, I was just about to do this upgrade but now maybe I'll upgrade to iOS 5 instead.

We'd like to see a follow up post on how this worked out.

You can't update to iOS 5 now, even if you've the firmware downloaded. Apple doesn't sign iOS 5 anymore, so there's no way to restore to that version, or downgrade as well.

Glad I made my 4G stay on 5.1.1

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It's anemic hardware is probably to blame. I know lots of people are having this issue. A few of them I know personally. What I don't understand is why so many are having issues with iPod touch 4th gens but not the iPhone 3GS which has very similar specs. Or maybe there are and we're just not hearing about it.

Just out of curiosity, are you restoring from a backup after you restore?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
OP, just downgrade to, I mean oh wait... Don't you all know Apple does this on purpose? Apple ruined my iPad 1 with iOS5, which worked fine with iOS4, and when I went to the genius bar, they openly stated that I should "just buy a new iPad 3".... The scenario described is the same scam.. When Apple was the underdog, and had to work for everything, they had fine products. With their recent temporary success however, they have now shilled out the consumer to extra sales.

It's anemic hardware is probably to blame.

That is entirely what is to blame. Instead of putting the iPhone 4 soc with 512MB RAM in the iPod Touch 4G, they used 256MB. I forgot where I saw it, but under iOS5, one user reported that they had 130MB or so RAM free with all apps closed. Under iOS6, they only had around 70MB. 70MB is useless for really anything, and under any iOS, once the RAM fills, the OS starts deleting threads leading to crashes. Apple wanted to save perhaps literally a buck, and put garbage hardware .

Last edited:

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Well I am glad I am not the only one angry about this situation as the others have posted. I will keep you all updated. I just shipped out my 2nd iPod for repair and I will tell you all what they find out.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
You can reverse or put older IOS any time, so you dont have these problems

Of course you can if you save the blobs from the older version and now I am starting to wish I would have just gone back to iOS 5.1.1 on the first iPod I had. Unfortunately now that I have been using Apple for repair; the iPods they give me come with 6.0 thus making it impossible to downgrade. :(

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Well Apple received and diagnosed the 2nd iPod as having hardware failure. A new one is pending so now...I just wait :(

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Well Apple received and diagnosed the 2nd iPod as having hardware failure. A new one is pending so now...I just wait :(

That's just their way of saying "we're not gonna come out and say the Touch is too underpowered to run iOS 6 so we're gonna say it's a hardware 'failure' and ship him a new one"

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE

Well at this rate, you will end up with 8 iPod's or more, as well (like 1984world)….. none of them working properly though…. good luck with the new one coming and please let us know if it solves the problems.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I will keep you guys updated on the issue! Right now it is pending for product replacement according to their repair site and I had personalization so it will probably take this entire week and maybe even some of next week. I do agree with Tactical that this is probably just apple's way of saying that iOS 6 screwed it up and they just don't want to admit it. With my first iPod; I had no issues with it for almost 2 years like I stated until I upgraded to device-killer iOS 6. Apple says over the phone that they want to keep me as a customer but I really think they should be doing more than just replacing it if they really want to keep me as a customer. I am thinking about wanting an iPad but I am worried that after I have it for about 2 years that the same thing will just happen again. I have just lost confidence in Apple and I am certainly not happy with their trash pile that they call iOS 6.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I made this mistake as well, I know I am a really heavy app user and listener of music so perhaps my 4g just couldn't handle all of the use I was giving it but this happened to me. With IOS 6.0.1 I have about 30mb free ram while running a system monitor app (not jail broken), on ios6 I had 10mb free ram no joke. I had to buy a 5th gen touch the bonus for me being I now have a dedicated music player in my 4th gen touch which I desperately needed for my level of use. The 30mb is with just a few apps installed and running nothing but the sys monitor app and no wifi turned on.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I upgraded 2 of my ipod touches 4th gen to ios6 and they slowed down, Especially the app store.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Scam Artists

hmmm...Thanks for the replies, this is further confirmation that Apple is trying to force you to upgrade even if you had an iPod touch that was working fine. This seems like a big scam now I think I may get an Android for my next device because Apple's little trick of making my iPod touch worthless to force me to upgrade is simple not going to work with me. By the way; my new iPod Touch has been shipped today and is expected to arrive here on Monday estimated.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
So I received my third iPod touch 4g yesterday and I could not get it to restore from my iCloud backup properly...I had to keep restoring and rebooting the iPod until it eventually got all of my apps and I ended up having to go into the iCloud settings and tell it to stop restoring before it would backup anymore or let iTunes get past the point of "Waiting for changes to applied". These are very big annoyances for a new iPod and I really am not happy. From this experience, I don't think I will be buying another Apple product ever again. The reason is that they will just update it and mess it up and then you have to face a whole bunch of problems. I like android's features better or even the Microsoft Surface for that matter...They are all better than these crappy Apple products.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I still don't know why people buy the 4gen ipod touches. They were a stinker since the beginning (256 megs of ram is just too little for retina+ios).
I was to purchase one and since it had few ram I went for the iPad 2. At least it has 512mb of ram (could be more at the time all the android tablets had 1gb), not much but an improvement over the ram starved iPod touch 4G.

Apple should have never released the iPod touch with just 256 megs of ram.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Best feature of iOS 6.1

"Performance on iPhone 4, 4S and iPod touch 4G is greatly improved."

All hope is not lost for those still on 4th gens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.