Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smilinja

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
I too am having trouble with my ipod 4g and it not syncing the music. I have restored it and it took 6 hours to put the music back on and then I went to update my music list and now it won't sync the music at all. I have done the hard close on the ipod and restarted my computer. Up until a few of days ago I haven't had any issues with loading my ipod. But since the new itunes update and the update to the ios 6 it has been a nightmare. I truly don't think it's my ipod that is having issues.

After reading through the posts it sounds like Apple is pushing through the updates so that our devices don't work and we have to go buy new ones. I can't afford to buy new ones so that won't be happening. I love apple but if they are going to be doing this then they will be losing a huge fan.

Ginevra83

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
How I fixed my iPod after iOS6 wrecked havoc

Yes, I too suffered the fate of a messed up iPod Touch 4th gen (8GB), when I installed iOS6.1. App Store became non-functional. Also iTunes and Safari weren't working right.
I tried every solution I could find on the internet. Only one finally resolved the issue. Through iTunes on my computer, I had to "restore" the whole iOS installation and - here's the critical part - I had to select "install as a new ipod". This finally worked. (Although I lost all my settings like saved iMessages, app settings, network setup, etc.)
If you "restore" the installation, but copy back your backup settings, the corruptions will persist. A lot of iPod Touch users have experienced this issue. I hope this helps somebody else.

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
So how did apple diagnose a software upgrade was what ruined your hardware?

I've been using iMobile devices for over 10 years and every software upgrade went smooth, are you sure you didn't drop them on cement and damage them,
Then trying to blame a software upgrade?

I'm sure Apple wasn't buying that crap either!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
So how did apple diagnose a software upgrade was what ruined your hardware?

I've been using iMobile devices for over 10 years and every software upgrade went smooth, are you sure you didn't drop them on cement and damage them,
Then trying to blame a software upgrade?

I'm sure Apple wasn't buying that crap either!

Apple hasn't been making ios devices for 10 years. In fact they have only been making them for 5 years.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
That's just their way of saying "we're not gonna come out and say the Touch is too underpowered to run iOS 6 so we're gonna say it's a hardware 'failure' and ship him a new one"

If my Uncle's iPhone 3GS can run iOS 6 near flawless, I'm sure the iPod touch can run it perfectly too.

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
I've deployed about 40 iPod touches with iOS 6.0.1 at my job so far and haven't had any complaints so far. I'm sorry that the OP has had such difficulty, but just because one person has had a bad experience doesn't mean that Apple has engineered iOS 6 to fail.

Also important to remember is that the 4th generation iPod touch is at this point over two years old hardware. It's not going to run the latest generation of software at the speed that it ran iOS 5 which it shipped with.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I've deployed about 40 iPod touches with iOS 6.0.1 at my job so far and haven't had any complaints so far. I'm sorry that the OP has had such difficulty, but just because one person has had a bad experience doesn't mean that Apple has engineered iOS 6 to fail.

I agree, I see this all the time. Hundreds or tens of thousands utilize a tool or tweak successfully (in this case it's firmware) then one person has an issue and immediately declares the product is flawed or they have found a bug.
This always causes me to shake my head in disbelief.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Also important to remember is that the 4th generation iPod touch is at this point over two years old hardware. It's not going to run the latest generation of software at the speed that it ran iOS 5 which it shipped with.

As a new device each time as noted above? Important point you should include.

----------

I agree, I see this all the time. Hundreds or tens of thousands utilize a tool or tweak successfully (in this case it's firmware) then one person has an issue and immediately declares the product is flawed or they have found a bug.
This always causes me to shake my head in disbelief.

This sort of thing goes both ways. I find that Apple and upgrades never go as planned. Installing as new device has never failed to work. Apple just cant get their upgrade processes working right. Both IOS and MAC OS.

Of late I have never seen a company so unprepared to resolve serious issues in a timely fashion. Or able to release updates that fix what is indicated as fixed.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I used the latest version of refs now to restore to 5.1.1. I didn't even need my blobs that I had saved.

How did you do this? Steps please?

----------

My touch 4g just llllaaaaaaaagggg g g g g ssssss s s ssss..........ssss....

Soooooooo o o o o o ......o.o.o. Baaaaaaddaddddddddd....a. A a a a a a.

futureecho

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
IOS 6 Just fried my IPOD

My Ipod Touch 4th Gen was working just fine, saw the little 1 next to update so I did what I thought I was supposed to do. About half an hour later my screen showed a USB cable and said connect to Itunes. So I connected it to Itunes and it said that I needed to do a restore. I clicked on restore and about an hour later it said that it was unable to restore. The screen on the Ipod again said connect to Itunes so I went back to I tunes and clicked on restore again... Now the screen just alternates between snow and a faded Mac logo. Won't do anything. IOS 6 upgrade turned my $200 ipod into a paper weight. DO NOT UPGRADE IF YOUR IPOD IS WORKING FINE!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
How did you do this? Steps please?

----------

My touch 4g just llllaaaaaaaagggg g g g g ssssss s s ssss..........ssss....

Soooooooo o o o o o ......o.o.o. Baaaaaaddaddddddddd....a. A a a a a a.

As best I remember I downloaded the newest version of RedSnow. I went to extras->even More-> Restore with local or remote blobs. I set the version I wanted to restore to and entered the device into powned DFU mode. I used remote blobs (does this mean I uploaded them at some point? If so, and you haven't, then you might be out of luck). It restored to 5.1.1 and then I did the normal jailbreak. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.