Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Let's review the facts.
It's not working. It's fixed remotely. Without any change to your device (verified by effected iPads that are not 3g so no network connection)

um.

Why is it reaching out (clearly demonstrated by the 404 error page we were getting) on a fully loaded and installed iOS6 device the first time it connects via wifi? Is it authenticating something? passing data? what IS it doing?

There is no reason a device should phone home silently like that when you turn on the wifi for the first time. The only thing I can think it's something tied to the voluntary feedback option but I am not sure I had it turned on on all of my effected devices.

Your foil hat is too tight :rolleyes:

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Cradle your iPhone in your arms and comfort it for 5 minutes while telling it that you cancelled your iPhone 5 order.... (Then turn the wifi off then back on) :D

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I fixed this quite easily;

1. Noticed WiFi not working, redirecting to non-existing Apple page.
2. Went downstairs, got a nice cold beer from the fridge, and...
3. Made a nice chicken sandwich with mayo. Ate sandwich, drank beer.
4. Wandered back upstairs to my home office.
5. Tried it again.
6. WiFi now working.

7.???
8. Profit

garmischgirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
None of these "fix's" did anything. By the time people came on here to look for a solution and tried the solution the server side issue was fixed.

I had the same problem and the Network Reset didn't work for me either - however, I tried the following and it worked. Login to your iTunes account before trying to connect to Wi-Fi. You will be prompted to download a few updates as well:
- Go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores
- Click on Apple ID at the top > View Apple ID
- Edit > Apple ID > enter password > Done
Once you've logged into your iTunes account, go back to Settings > Wi-Fi and connect.

pitt1717

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
if the issue was on apple side then this is scary. My device should not contact apple servers to connect to a local wifi. what it was trying to do was no different then when you log into free wifi.
it seems like our packets were being directed to an outside authentication page

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
**** HERE IS THE FIX!!! ****

After I upgraded my iPhone4S to IOS 6 I noticed when I wanted to use my home Wifi it kept going to an apple log-in screen every time.

Turns out that the Safari cookie for the Apple website may be corrupted after the IOS 6 update. It uses this Apple website test to see if you are able to successfully reach the internet and if not, then it assumes you are on some public Wifi EULA approval page - Unfortunately this feature broke on some devices after IOS 6.

Here's how to fix it. Go to:

/Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website_Data/

Scroll down until you find apple.com or http://www.apple.com and swipe left until the red "Delete" button shows up.

Press Delete and then you can exit out of that and your Wifi should now work. Report back after you have fixed your device!

Cheers!
Michael L.

Cheers Michael you fixed it...somebody get this man a cookie!!

:D

Jblack4083

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2007
What worked for me was this

1. Select WiFi network
2. Enter username and password
A. (accept certificate if needed)
3. When it skips back to the screen that lists all the networks, TURN WiFi off before the "Log In" screen can come up

4. When you turn WiFi back on, it will connect like normal

Yabazoee

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Just reset your network settings. Then it's all good

Settings> General> Reset> Reset network settings

understudyhero

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
My foil hat is tighter then you know .
And the people are right above ... dos attack , the need for safari and a web page to turn on wifi?!? this is not a good thing at all.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Ofcourse it was fixed by Apple... They redirect you when you go online via WiFi - that link was dead and thats why no one could connect.

No update needed for that.

Computers and the internet thing are stuff to understand, heh?

Its pretty crazy that apple can prevent you from using the internet on your own home wifi. You dont think that is pretty messed up?

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
it is still happening

THe issue went away, then came back, now it is sort of gone. Although the Wifi network is joined by the iOS6 device, after a while (5 minutes or so) the connections is dropped and goes back to 3G

warura

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Apple is Sending info from our devices????

Seems there is not a true fix, apple fixed some sort of link to a page the device contacts when WIFI is connected. This is kind of strange, seems apple is sending some kind of info from our devices to their servers when we use WIFI. Not cool Apple. Nobody is worried about this??????:confused:

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Apple did not fix anything without an update. Apple does not control if we can connect at home or not.

Amazing how some people can be so certain about something and so wrong at the same time.

When you connect your home wifi network, iOS automatically checks for a 'success' message hosted at http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

If it receives the message - great. If not, you have the problems on display here tonight.

Someone at Apple temporarily (and probably mistakenly) removed that page for a while tonight. All of these fixes appeared to 'fix' the issue at the same time Apple repaired the root cause.

It's not rocket science.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
This should NOT be a thing. I should be able to connect to ANY wifi network without have any routing/connection/test to Apple's server/website/backend. Period.

So what this shows now, is if that page or whatever portion on there end goes down again, it will cause ALL IOS devices to no longer connect to wifi. That's pretty messed up.

Mangkipom

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
A potential fix (worked for my 4):

Forget network
Set HTTP Proxy to Auto (default Off I believe)

almousawi

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Apple did not fix anything without an update. Apple does not control if we can connect at home or not.

By resetting the network settings and changing the proxy to AUTO that seems to have fixed the issue for most people.

Answer:

Here is what is going on. Ever since iOS 4(?) there has been a feature where if you connect to a WiFi network it will try to ping this site:http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

If it is a success then it lets you connect, if it is not a success the phone trys to bring up what would be a Login page for corporate wifi networks. Example, public access points that have a login page, etc.

It seems that some moron at Apple deleted the file located at http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and that is why it is not working.

This is not an iOS 6 issue but rather a problem with Apple's website.

Rebooting your phone will not help, nothing will help until Apple fixes the problem on their end.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Fix For Me-Forget Network Under Settings

I noticed i had no wifi, but had 3G on my iPad2 after the update. I was already to do a clean install on the iPad, but tried the "forget this network" under wifi settings. It worked for me on an Airport Extreme. Before that I'd see a wifi signal shortly replaced by 3G.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
you know what I think is crazy? Not a single news site has listed this story. Wifi gos out on millions of devices and none of these sites pickup on it? But if a factory worker assembling an unreleased apple product passes gas there is a grainy cell phone picture capturing the whole thing up on 9to5mac in 30 seconds.

lilpete752003

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Wow so many geniuses coming in to post their 'solution'
...i hope you guys realize this was a problem on apple's end and they resolved it

Thank you "Captain Obvious" but I offered my help in hopes that it would help others. Not to just quote something just to open my mouth! If I knew it would have fixed itself or If my ipod was working I wouldn't have posted the comment!

nethukin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Its fun to read all those fix solution. Now theres a bunch of people with the Proxy set on Auto. lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.