Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travisbrowning

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Let me break this down for you. IF you install iOS 7 Beta 1 from an IPSW that you downloaded from the Internet, found on the sidewalk, OR got directly from the Apple developer website, upon installation the device will check with Apple's developer server and verify your UDID is on a registered developer's account. Until that verification is completed with Apple, you have a nice, shiny, expensive paperweight.

If you want to install 7 on a non registered device, be my guest... The reason I am replying in the first place is so that your misinformation does not brick someone's device that doesn't know better.

Enjoy the site.

Do not listen to this just yet. If it's anything like the iOS 6 beta, then you'll be fine.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Let me break this down for you. IF you install iOS 7 Beta 1 from an IPSW that you downloaded from the Internet, found on the sidewalk, OR got directly from the Apple developer website, upon installation the device will check with Apple's developer server and verify your UDID is on a registered developer's account. Until that verification is completed with Apple, you have a nice, shiny, expensive paperweight.

If you want to install 7 on a non registered device, be my guest... The reason I am replying in the first place is so that your misinformation does not brick someone's device that doesn't know better.

Enjoy the site.

During iOS 6 betas if you "updated" in iTunes without the device being registered it worked fine. If you tried to "restore" without the device being registered it failed. Plus, there are no paperweights, you can downgrade quite easily if you know how. Get your facts straight before being so opinionated!

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
Well if you download the beta from an unreliable source than yes you will probably sc**w up your device. Other than that it is safe!

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
during ios 6 betas if you "updated" in itunes without the device being registered it worked fine. If you tried to "restore" without the device being registered it failed. Plus, there are no paperweights, you can downgrade quite easily if you know how. Get your facts straight before being so opinionated!

+1

eddyecb

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
During iOS 6 betas if you "updated" in iTunes without the device being registered it worked fine. If you tried to "restore" without the device being registered it failed. Plus, there are no paperweights, you can downgrade quite easily if you know how. Get your facts straight before being so opinionated!

exactly, QFT

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico

Enjoy the site.

you have no clue what you are saying, there were ways to bypass activation and getting ios 6 without a developer account

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
So much misinformation, yes ios 6 beta ran on non reg iphones, but that was a glitch and no, attempting to install a beta on a non reg device WILL NOT BRICK YOUR DEVICE, before it can even begin it will throw you a message saying youre device is not eligable blah blah.

You can always DFU mode to restore. And you wont have that fancy Paper weight

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Macrumors is pretty slow too. Well at least I found a back up site when the ipsw's finally get updated. Wonder if it's gonna be the shift update or dfu restore method this time aha

chilibball

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Macrumors is pretty slow too. Well at least I found a back up site when the ipsw's finally get updated. Wonder if it's gonna be the shift update or dfu restore method this time aha

What website is this? Assuming you're allowed to share.

Kevin

naltst*

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Registered or not?

Wow what a crazy argument? People are actually arguing about whether you nedd your UDID registered for a beta that noone has downloaded yet! iOS 5 you did, iOS 6 you didn't, iOS 7 who knows?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Someone be a brave, brave soul and make a video showing how to get it so those of us not so high on cash right now can try it lol.

Really, I'd advise against it. It isn't ready.

The reason Apple have these developer preview releases is so that developers can write apps that take advantage of the new APIs. That means that when it's released to the public, they'll have apps that integrate with the look of the system and take advantage of the new features from day one. It's also important for finding bugs (and believe me, there can be big ones!)

That said, the preview releases (especially the earlier ones) are typically really buggy. Don't be surprised if it crashes every time you try to make a call, WiFi doesn't work, or any other catastrophic things like that. If it was ready it would be shipping today.

At the very least, you should wait to hear what the stability of the preview is like before installing.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Really, I'd advise against it. It isn't ready.

The reason Apple have these developer preview releases is so that developers can write apps that take advantage of the new APIs. That means that when it's released to the public, they'll have apps that integrate with the look of the system and take advantage of the new features from day one. It's also important for finding bugs (and believe me, there can be big ones!)

That said, the preview releases (especially the earlier ones) are typically really buggy. Don't be surprised if it crashes every time you try to make a call, WiFi doesn't work, or any other catastrophic things like that. If it was ready it would be shipping today.

At the very least, you should wait to hear what the stability of the preview is like before installing.

I don't know why people get so scared about this, you can always downgrade from a Beta to the last stable reléase........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.