Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Well, first post on this forum in a few years after I forgot my old account, and it's a rant. Feel free to post your grievances if you have any.
The music app in iOS 7 (7.04 to be exact) sucks.
The seekbar stutters randomly when you try to use it, it doesn't follow your finger. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
The seekbar in the lock screen when you're playing music rarely works, often confusing drag gestures as unlock gestures. And when it does work, it stutters. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
Shuffle...so many things about it.
The seekbar when playing videos(not related to music app, but I thought I should include it) stutters, caused by iOS confusing notification center drags. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
Audiobooks don't remember position after closing the music app. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
Artwork randomly does not show up. (what the hell iOS 7?)
Playlist issues, namely adding songs.
And tons and tons and tons of other glitches/bugs/annoyances that never existed on iOS 6.
Screw iOS 7

Edit: Just saw this in the beta 4 notes "Music in lockscreen improved on 4/4S", hopefully that fixes the lock screen issue.

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
There are a few threads on the Music app in iOS 7.

Your sentiment is shared by others. There are more ways that it's not great than you have mentioned, even. ;)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Well, first post on this forum in a few years after I forgot my old account, and it's a rant. Feel free to post your grievances if you have any.
The music app in iOS 7 (7.04 to be exact) sucks.
The seekbar stutters randomly when you try to use it, it doesn't follow your finger. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
The seekbar in the lock screen when you're playing music rarely works, often confusing drag gestures as unlock gestures. And when it does work, it stutters. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
Shuffle...so many things about it.
The seekbar when playing videos(not related to music app, but I thought I should include it) stutters, caused by iOS confusing notification center drags. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
Audiobooks don't remember position after closing the music app. (iOS 5/6 was fine)
Artwork randomly does not show up. (what the hell iOS 7?)
Playlist issues, namely adding songs.
And tons and tons and tons of other glitches/bugs/annoyances that never existed on iOS 6.
Screw iOS 7

Edit: Just saw this in the beta 4 notes "Music in lockscreen improved on 4/4S", hopefully that fixes the lock screen issue.

Everything you are describing works fine on my iPhone. I have no idea why you're having trouble with it. Try a reboot or something?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I quit using iTunes and switched all of my music over to Google Play. The iOS app is pretty good and it offers most of the functionality of iTunes Match for free. And if you feel like subscribing to their "All Access" service, they have a pretty good selection of music available.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
You're just finding this out?

That's why I started using either Plex on my iPhone or I carry around my iPod with iOS 6 on it.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Everything you are describing works fine on my iPhone. I have no idea why you're having trouble with it. Try a reboot or something?

I've tried everything.. And I'm pretty certain it's a iOS 7 issue, because it also appears on a iPhone 4 that one my friend owns. I know two isn't a representative sample, but stutter is a relative thing, the seek used to be very smooth, now it jumps around like its broken.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Try restarting your phone. Never had a crash once on my 5S.

I just tried to open the app again, crashed on startup then stays open.

I can reproduce it easily. I launch the app, it crashes. I launch again it seems to stay open. I hit home button and relaunch app again, it crashes. Every time.

I have a 5S but I am on 7.1 beta 5.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

I can reproduce it easily. I launch the app, it crashes. I launch again it seems to stay open. I hit home button and relaunch app again, it crashes. Every time.

I would recommend reporting the bug, if you have not yet already.

The last thing we need is the music app to become more buggy ;)

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
How can all these 3rd party music apps handle on the fly playlist creation but the stock music app can't. Why can't you add a song you're listening to to a playlist? Also, why is there no up next feature in the app.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Ok, steps to reproduce seekbar stutter:
1. Load music using itunes (Mine was more than 20 min long, might have something to do with it)
2. Open music
3. Play music
4. Drag play head/seek bar position indicator
5. Drag it down from high speed scrubbing to half speed
6. Drag it back up, slowly, while moving the play head
7. Drag it past the seek bar(up, if you initially dragged down)

Expected:
The play head does not change position relative to the x position of the finger
Actual:
The play head jumps to 0:00, and to the end of the music, and remains skewed relative to finger position, it accelerates to finger position as you get closer

Reproducible: Yes
Version: iOS 7.04
iPod touch 5

Notes:
On iOS 7.04, the half speed scrubbing is similar to high speed scrubbing on iOS 5. (Impressions)\
Edit: Referring to granularity of the play head movement
============================
Steps to reproduce lock screen music seek bar failure:
1. Not sure... But occasionally iOS misinterprets it as an unlock gesture, possibly due to notification center.
============================

Kubaton

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2013
I don't think it's fair to say an app is horrible when you're running a beta OS.

The app is a steal for free. I purchased it when it was $4 ages ago and it's always been stable for me.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I don't think it's fair to say an app is horrible when you're running a beta OS.

The app is a steal for free. I purchased it when it was $4 ages ago and it's always been stable for me.

I thought the same thing. After I made the post I restored back to iOS 7.0.4. Same thing was happening. So... not sure what else to say about it.

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States
This is kind of odd, but I don't have a problem with the iOS stock "Music" application.

I actually like it! ;)

But everybody's taste in applications are all different. And I'm sure we all respect that.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for recommending this app. Downloaded it after seeing your post and love it. It works great for me on 5S and iPad. No issues at all.

Goodbye Apple Music app...

Yeah they are working on a nicer iPad version. Its kinda crummy right now. Id rather run the iPhone version blown up on the iPad.

----------

This is kind of odd, but I don't have a problem with the iOS stock "Music" application.

I actually like it! ;)

But everybody's taste in applications are all different. And I'm sure we all respect that.

I dont think its not about people not truly liking it, but rather that its a little more clunky.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014

I actually like it! ;)

I don't hate it, I'm just frustrated with the bugs in the current music app. If they fix it then it's awesome. I already submitted a bug report, let's see if they do anything about it.

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Apart from the bugs, they should also change the way the app displays your library. Having all albums expanded when you select an artist is bad usability.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Check out free alternatives like Groove, or Lagu. The latter has a UI almost identical to the ios 6 music player. Other good ones are - Ecoute, Picky and Smartplayer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.