Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
Updated from 4.5.3 (probably what came on the phone when I bought it!) to 7.1. Still makes phone calls, Navigon still works, Alarms still work, I'm happy :D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Updated from 4.5.3 (probably what came on the phone when I bought it!) to 7.1. Still makes phone calls, Navigon still works, Alarms still work, I'm happy :D
4.3.5 perhaps (the last iOS 4 update)?

the3ye

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
Is it because of the smaller screen, or is it new?
Artist song title album title in one line. Longer titles are pain to read...
All those small things drive me nuts, and make me want to come back to 6.1.3.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    916.7 KB · Views: 183

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Wow, the album art isn't even full screen anymore. I guess they want to force users to buy iPhone 5/5s with taller screens.

iFarmer

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
I updated from 6.1.3 to 7.1 and have no complaints. It runs just as fast as 6.1.3 for everything I'm doing and I was able to ditch my flashlight app. No complaints on my end!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I updated from 6.1.3 to 7.1 and have no complaints. It runs just as fast as 6.1.3 for everything I'm doing and I was able to ditch my flashlight app. No complaints on my end!

You can't have been doing much then. 7.1 is much slower than 6.1.3, not to mention laden with more bugs.

Kurios2

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Works fine for the iphone 4 with no hesitation and find it a bit faster. Checked out all my apps and email, which are a bit faster. iMesages go through fast. The main improvement was to stop the sluggishness and Apple hit a home run. Very happy with ISO 7.1

If I experience anything unusual, I'll post it here.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ars Technica have the speed stats for iOS6, iOS 7.0.4 and iOS7.1 on the iPhone 4.
7.1 just feels fast because 7.0 etc were so damned slow. 7.1 is still much slower than iOS6 and let's remember that the iPhone 4 shipped with iOS5, which was much faster than iOS6.

I'm glad you guys have a more usable device again but don't kid yourselves that it's as fast as it used to be.

MartyBeez

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
The Hague, NL
Better 3G reception?

Either my provider built an antenna next to my office building this week, or 7.1 improved my 3G reception. Anyone else noticed this?

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Ars Technica have the speed stats for iOS6, iOS 7.0.4 and iOS7.1 on the iPhone 4.
7.1 just feels fast because 7.0 etc were so damned slow. 7.1 is still much slower than iOS6 and let's remember that the iPhone 4 shipped with iOS5, which was much faster than iOS6.

I'm glad you guys have a more usable device again but don't kid yourselves that it's as fast as it used to be.

The iPhone 4 shipped with iOS 4

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
7.1 update ruined my personal hotspot
i cant use it anymore since updated..it doesn't save APN for personal hotspot :(

adrao

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
i cant use it anymore since updated..it doesn't save APN for personal hotspot :(

The same on my iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1 (successfully surfing with 3G) the personal hotspot APN entry is not saved. The iPhone wifi hotspot can be joined by an ipad or a macbook but there is no internet available on them. Same problem with a bluetooth pairing : no internet.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Interesting positives and negatives.

Yep. My iphone 4 feels like it has ios 6 again!

7.1 is very good for iPhone 4, fast, stable. Go for it and update.

Yes, you better stay on 6.1.3.

it sped things up on 7.0.? not sure if it's helping much now. animations are blazing in 7.1.

I second this.

Very happy with the new iOS 7.1. iPhone 4 is working as it used to do on iOS6! Good jobs Apple!!! ;)

I'm happy too. My iPhone 4 is so much more snappier with this update. :)

You can't have been doing much then. 7.1 is much slower than 6.1.3, not to mention laden with more bugs.

I can also confirm pretty good 7.1 performance on the 4. I still like 6.1.3 better aesthetically, but at least they now work about the same.

Works fine for the iphone 4 with no hesitation and find it a bit faster. Checked out all my apps and email, which are a bit faster. iMesages go through fast. The main improvement was to stop the sluggishness and Apple hit a home run. Very happy with ISO 7.1

If I experience anything unusual, I'll post it here.

Either my provider built an antenna next to my office building this week, or 7.1 improved my 3G reception. Anyone else noticed this?

I noticed that too.

The same on my iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1 (successfully surfing with 3G) the personal hotspot APN entry is not saved. The iPhone wifi hotspot can be joined by an ipad or a macbook but there is no internet available on them. Same problem with a bluetooth pairing : no internet.

Any Cydia / Jailbreak related apps for the Hotspot thing and other JB experiences?

rungshep

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
iPhone 4 now running well with IOS 7.1

Finally installed IOS 7 when the security fix came out 7.0.6. Was not happy - battery was worse, performance worse, stability worse. Started evaluating getting a new phone (iphone or Android) and was about to head to Verizon store when the IOS 7.1 popup appeared. Installed immediately.

Battery now good (did take the tips documented ex. background refresh off, and others), performance good, stability good --- all just about if not equal to previous IOS 6 install. No need to spend another 600+ on a new iPhone, at least for now :)

Tim

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Finally installed IOS 7 when the security fix came out 7.0.6. Was not happy - battery was worse, performance worse, stability worse. Started evaluating getting a new phone (iphone or Android) and was about to head to Verizon store when the IOS 7.1 popup appeared. Installed immediately.

Battery now good (did take the tips documented ex. background refresh off, and others), performance good, stability good --- all just about if not equal to previous IOS 6 install. No need to spend another 600+ on a new iPhone, at least for now :)

Tim

I have been trying to save the SHSH Blobs for 7.1 using TinyUmbrella. Not working. Anyone know how?

iFarmer

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012

No need to be a negative Nancy all the time :] If people are happy with the performance, it's not your job to tell them they're wrong.

MartyBeez

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
The Hague, NL
Updated to 7.1.1

Updated my iPhone 4 to 7.1.1 just now. The first progress bar took a few minutes, the second one was a lot faster.
All seems fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.