Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm looking forward to grabbing my wife's grandmother's iPhone 4S when we hand down my wife's 5. Gonna make a video of performance just to show some of you that just because your device is slow, doesn't mean ALL devices are slow.

Apple isn't purposefully crippling ALL iPhone 4's and 4S's.....devices simply break down over time. Usage varies wildly from person to person and all technology is different. There are a ton of variables to consider....

Last time I used her 4S (she was concerned there was some water inbetween her Lifeproof and the screen so I opened it up and cleaned it - then noticed she wasn't updated), it worked well.

Was actually my old 4S ages ago. Put the iOS 7.0 beta on it for a little while too and it wasn't too bad. Typical beta stutters.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's a 5 year old device.

Tell me, what other smartphones from 2009/2010 are you aware of that run the latest operating system from their manufacturer? Or is capable of running apps the iPhone 4 does?

It's OLD. It isn't going to be lightning fast like the iPhone 5. Opening iMessage will take longer. Switching apps will take longer. Starting the phone up from boot screen will take longer.

It isn't obsolete or unusable. It's this sense of privilege everyone thinks they should have that is ruining your experience on the device. Accept it for what it is.

You're massively missing the point.
The iPhone4 worked perfectly well with iOS6, regardless of how old the hardware was. Some people don't need the latest tech, and others pass their phones onto relatives when they get a new one. Apple sent out an 'update' which most people agree pretty much rendered the i4 unusable. That is the issue here.

----------

I'm looking forward to grabbing my wife's grandmother's iPhone 4S when we hand down my wife's 5. Gonna make a video of performance just to show some of you that just because your device is slow, doesn't mean ALL devices are slow.

Apple isn't purposefully crippling ALL iPhone 4's and 4S's.....devices simply break down over time. Usage varies wildly from person to person and all technology is different. There are a ton of variables to consider....

Last time I used her 4S (she was concerned there was some water inbetween her Lifeproof and the screen so I opened it up and cleaned it - then noticed she wasn't updated), it worked well.

Was actually my old 4S ages ago. Put the iOS 7.0 beta on it for a little while too and it wasn't too bad. Typical beta stutters.

You're talking about the 4S. We're not.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You're massively missing the point.
The iPhone4 worked perfectly well with iOS6, regardless of how old the hardware was. Some people don't need the latest tech, and others pass their phones onto relatives when they get a new one. Apple sent out an 'update' which most people agree pretty much rendered the i4 unusable. That is the issue here.

----------

You're talking about the 4S. We're not.

Meh, I've heard the same griping about the 4 and 4S. Upgrade already and be done with it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Meh, I've heard the same griping about the 4 and 4S. Upgrade already and be done with it.
To potentially have your device perform worse without necessarily getting anything out of that if you don't really cafe about iOS 7 and are just fine with iOS 6 if not 5? Why would someone in a situation like that do that?

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Installed 7.1.1 on my 4 and it's fantastic. It addressed several glitches I had on iOS6. Overall it feels snappier! Only complaint the battery drains very quickly, medium-light use 1 day. It used to be 2 days on iOS6. Btw my 4 is 4 years old.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
There are 2 options:

1. Your iPhone 4 is defective.
2. You're impatient and making a large deal out of a few seconds of stutter.

I have the iPhone 4, have had it for years, and mine runs fine on iOS7 (albeit a second or two slower in some spots). If yours doesn't, it's broken, or your standards are too high for a half-decade old device.

That's the reality here. Blaming Apple isn't at all reasonable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are 2 options:

1. Your iPhone 4 is defective.
2. You're impatient and making a large deal out of a few seconds of stutter.

I have the iPhone 4, have had it for years, and mine runs fine on iOS7 (albeit a second or two slower in some spots). If yours doesn't, it's broken, or your standards are too high for a half-decade old device.

That's the reality here. Blaming Apple isn't at all reasonable.
But still not the same as it was on iOS 6 or 5.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
But still not the same as it was on iOS 6 or 5.

Because iOS7 wasn't designed in 2009. They can't dumb down a modern user-interface just to please owners of a 5 year old device. It won't work as well as new iPhones either. The fact that you can connect with it at all is amazing. Seriously, try using any smartphone from 5 years ago in today's market. It's almost impossible.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because iOS7 wasn't designed in 2009. They can't dumb down a modern user-interface just to please owners of a 5 year old device. It won't work as well as new iPhones either. The fact that you can connect with it at all is amazing. Seriously, try using any smartphone from 5 years ago in today's market. It's almost impossible.
Sure that's why they should allow people to stay with (or even go back to) a version that still works just fine for them.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Another one completely missing the point...

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Sure that's why they should allow people to stay with (or even go back to) a version that still works just fine for them.

I was not a fan of being pushed the update (for older devices, anyway). I agree there should be a choice, but that's never really been Apple's style.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was not a fan of being pushed the update (for older devices, anyway). I agree there should be a choice, but that's never really been Apple's style.
Right, but given the recent screw ups on their side with a big security hole and now that its affecting FaceTime functionality it seems like it would be a good time to adjust that thinking to at least on some level cover for their own mess and potential future ones that will come sooner or later as they always do in any industry, but especially the software industry.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Cripes :-/
Web browsing is nightmarishly slow on an iPhone 4 running iOS7.1.1
The i5 is night and day faster, it isn't even close.
I have 2 iPhone 4 devices. One is on 5.1.1 the other on 7.1.1. The difference in performance between the two is undeniable. 7.1.1 is slower. No one can convince me that 7.1.1 runs as smoothly on an iPhone 4 as 5.1.1 or even 6.x.

If someone has a magical iPhone 4 that is speedy on 7.1.1 I have no desire to convince them otherwise.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Right, but given the recent screw ups on their side with a big security hole and now that its affecting FaceTime functionality it seems like it would be a good time to adjust that thinking to at least on some level cover for their own mess and potential future ones that will come sooner or later as they always do in any industry, but especially the software industry.

iOS 6 is not secure, you need at least 5.1.1. or lower / 7.0.6. and higher.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 6 is not secure, you need at least 5.1.1. or lower / 7.0.6. and higher.
6.1.6 is secure, it's just Apple didn't offer that update to phones that they designated as being capable of supporting iOS 7. That's basically what I was saying, that Apple should rethink that approach (of not providing a working patch to phones they think can go to the next version) now that they've ran into things where they screwed up and they are at fault for it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
6.1.6 is secure, it's just Apple didn't offer that update to phones that they designated as being capable of supporting iOS 7. That's basically what I was saying, that Apple should rethink that approach (of not providing a working patch to phones they think can go to the next version) now that they've ran into things where they screwed up and they are at fault for it.

Absolutely. Microsoft have only recently stopped supporting Windows XP and it is *donkeys* years old. Apple could support older devices on their original software for a certain number of years, say five.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Steve did not want the iPhone to be able to downgrade, so it can't. Apple simply wants you to enjoy the new features of iOS 7 on older devices. Why are you upset that they are continuing to support the 4?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Steve did not want the iPhone to be able to downgrade, so it can't. Apple simply wants you to enjoy the new features of iOS 7 on older devices. Why are you upset that they are continuing to support the 4?
I'm sure Steve wasn't really counting on Apple having a huge security hole present for around a year that they needed to patch up but in the process would force someone to upgrade to another iOS version that they might not need instead of making the fix (which they already have) simply available for them. Why would anyone be happy about people having the ability of choosing for themselves and suddenly feeling forced to upgrade from a version that worked just fine for them and they would like to keep on using, all just because Apple themselves screwed up?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I'm sure Steve wasn't really counting on Apple having a huge security hole present for around a year that they needed to patch up but in the process would force someone to upgrade to another iOS version that they might not need instead of making the fix (which they already have) simply available for them. Why would anyone be happy about people having the ability of choosing for themselves and suddenly feeling forced to upgrade from a version that worked just fine for them and they would like to keep on using, all just because Apple themselves screwed up?

iOS 6 is only for iPod 4th gen and the 3GS, the rest of devices are not on it. iOS 7 is meant to be an improvement on 6. Apple does not want you using their outdated software that they have worked so hard (in under a year) to improve. They practically rushed it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 6 is only for iPod 4th gen and the 3GS, the rest of devices are not on it. iOS 7 is meant to be an improvement on 6. Apple does not want you using their outdated software that they have worked so hard (in under a year) to improve. They practically rushed it.
iOS 6 is for any device that was on it before iOS 7 came out. If someone didn't want to update they can certainly stay on whatever iOS version they had. But, it's not right that Apple themselves can screw up and have a huge security hole that they finally fix but then require people to update to iOS 7 to get the fix when they are running iOS 6 and don't want to update, especially since they do have a fix for iOS 6, they just decided not to make it available for some of the devices that they say support iOS 7. I get what Apple might want, but it doesn't mean that it's the right or ethical thing to do, especially when they themselves are responsible for a security screw up.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 6 is for any device that was on it before iOS 7 came out. If someone didn't want to update they can certainly stay on whatever iOS version they had. But, it's not right that Apple themselves can screw up and have a huge security hole that they finally fix but then require people to update to iOS 7 to get the fix when they are running iOS 6 and don't want to update, especially since they do have a fix for iOS 6, they just decided not to make it available for some of the devices that they say support iOS 7. I get what Apple might want, but it doesn't mean that it's the right or ethical thing to do, especially when they themselves are responsible for a security screw up.

But that isn't how iOS software updates are designed, if they let iPhone 4 users use iOS 6, iPhone 5s users would complain and say that they want to use iOS 6 because of it's more matured design or because it is more lightweight than 7. iOS 7 is trying to pave the way for future versions, it may not be very polished but Jony is new to this.

I don't think you would be saying this if it was iOS 5 with the security issue and 6 was required, you are misdirecting this when it's more about iOS 7 itself.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But that isn't how iOS software updates are designed, if they let iPhone 4 users use iOS 6, iPhone 5s users would complain and say that they want to use iOS 6 because of it's more matured design or because it is more lightweight than 7. iOS 7 is trying to pave the way for future versions, it may not be very polished but Jony is new to this.

I don't think you would be saying this if it was iOS 5 with the security issue and 6 was required, you are misdirecting this when it's more about iOS 7 itself.
iPhone 5S never had iOS 6 on it, so there's no one there that could complain that they were forced off of it, right? Fairly different.

As for different versions, people should be able to stay on whatever version they have and like, be it iOS 6 or 5, I have the same take on it no matter what the version number or UI design or anything else. People try to read in some bias into what others are saying about some version of iOS--as in they don't like iOS 7 so that must be the reason--but the reality is much simpler that that, it's simply about being able to use the version of iOS that you already have on your device without having to put up with some security issue or suddenly new broken functionality (like FaceTime not working because of that security issue).

----------

Edit: nevermind. Point of my post was: no one has to upgrade, you can click cancel when you plug it into iTunes and never update your device again if you don't want.
Sure, but if you are on iOS 6 and want to keep on using it then you have to put up with a security hole (that Apple themselves introduced) and now non-functional FaceTime because of it. So, that kind of puts a different spin on "not having to upgrade"--sure you can in most situations not upgrade, but then it seems like Apple can cripple your device all they want and you can either live with that or would have to upgrade even if you don't want to. And in some situations you don't really even get a choice, like if you need to restore your phone for some reason (which happens more than just rarely) you are forced to the latest iOS version and can't simply stay with what you have.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iPhone 5S never had iOS 6 on it, so there's no one there that could complain that they were forced off of it, right? Fairly different.

As for different versions, people should be able to stay on whatever version they have and like, be it iOS 6 or 5, I have the same take on it no matter what the version number or UI design or anything else. People try to read in some bias into what others are saying about some version of iOS--as in they don't like iOS 7 so that must be the reason--but the reality is much simpler that that, it's simply about being able to use the version of iOS that you already have on your device without having to put up with some security issue or suddenly new broken functionality (like FaceTime not working because of that security issue).

----------

Sure, but if you are on iOS 6 and want to keep on using it then you have to put up with a security hole (that Apple themselves introduced) and now non-functional FaceTime because of it. So, that kind of puts a different spin on "not having to upgrade"--sure you can in most situations not upgrade, but then it seems like Apple can cripple your device all they want and you can either live with that or would have to upgrade even if you don't want to.
But there is no reason not to upgrade is there? Especially for the iPhone 4 users on iOS 6, I read that iOS 7.1 is optimized for the iPhone 4 and 5S.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But there is no reason not to upgrade is there? Especially for the iPhone 4 users on iOS 6, I read that iOS 7.1 is optimized for the iPhone 4 and 5S.
While iOS 7.1 is certainly better than iOS 7.0 was for iPhone 4, it's still not the same as iOS 6 is as far as performance goes. Even that aside, again, it's a personal choice thing, if someone knows how iOS 6 works for them on their device and likes it just fine, why would there be anything that needs to justify them staying on that version even if the next version was better or whatnot? They want what they have, what sense does it make to require or push them to go to a new version that they don't want (for whatever reason)? I get why Apple might like that in general, but that doesn't mean they should be able to essentially push that on people as a result of their own screw up that created a security hole and then broke some services like FaceTime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.