Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I am finding the GM very smooth with my iPhone 4. Only one minor niggle. The phone is very slow to wake up and show the lock screen when I press home while on standby. Are others encountering this?
I hope it is a symptom of the general system slowdown while I reinstall many apps from my iCloud backup.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I am finding the GM very smooth with my iPhone 4. Only one minor niggle. The phone is very slow to wake up and show the lock screen when I press home while on standby. Are others encountering this?
I hope it is a symptom of the general system slowdown while I reinstall many apps from my iCloud backup.

I'm finding this too. I think it's just the animation that is making the wake time seem longer. With iOS:6 there was still a wee delay before the phone would wake up, but because there was no animation and the lock screen would appear in an instant, it seemed shorter.

Over the next few days I expect the phone to return to a near iOS:6 level of performance.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
This is slightly disappointing. Why is the NC black but the CC grey? It just looks poor. They should have at least matched them and given them some sort of design. Why not add some kind of texture if it cannot perform blur?

Right now it looks like a jailbroken iPhone. Everything else is good but this is disappointing.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
This is slightly disappointing. Why is the NC black but the CC grey? It just looks poor. They should have at least matched them and given them some sort of design. Why not add some kind of texture if it cannot perform blur?

Right now it looks like a jailbroken iPhone. Everything else is good but this is disappointing.

Hopefully these two screenshots show it, but there is a very subtle amount of transparency going on with the Notifications Center:

http://i.imgur.com/0qzCuOc.png

and

http://i.imgur.com/vXwZRYs.png

This just keep in trend with how it would display with a newer model iPhone. Just not to the same degree and also keeps some form of unity across the devices.

As for the design choice, I guess that's down to personal preference. I like it as it is but I can understand where you're coming from.

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
It is working very well. 90% of time it is smooth as butter. I am sure they will continue to improve the quality and even smoother experience of iOS7 on iPhone 4.

Well, i have discover some issue, the most anoying is when you scrolling something that contains items (such as songs in music app), it highlights the item before scrolling.

But other than that it is superb VS previous beta 6.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for replying guys, I really appreciate the images too. I was hoping they would revert it back to the iOS 6 style, which was super convenient. Hopefully we will see it in 7.1.

Well, you get to a list of all events by hitting the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner. That's just a table you can scroll through then. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2013
I have had the GM installed for like an hour and i can already see it's faster now than how it was when I first started to use it#

I love safari! It looks so clean and the swipe to go back is sooo nice!

Some of the animations could be a little faster like opening/closing folder... And coming from jailbreak, it's really annoying when folders dont auto close when I exit the app..

Can't wait for all the apps to be updated for iOS7.... Looking at whatsapp, it looks so ugly now lol and the old iOS6 keyboard#

If anyone has any questions, feel free to quote me and I'll try my best to answer :)

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Can't tell if these are some parody posts or you folks have vision problems. Ios 7 isn't near close to ios 6, even ios 6 jailbroken to the bones. Everythink lags, you have to use 2 rows of icons to get rid of the lag, scrolling through songs still laggy, settings app laggy, setting wallpapers is slow as hell, the keyboard is most of the times laggy, in safari is just hell using the keyboard, only in messages and few other stock apps it works fine. App store is very laggy, it isn't smooth at all, laggy as helllll. The only thing that I actually like better than ios 6 is the camera app, the animations seem snappier. Don't install ios 7 on iphone 4, you'll end up having an android phone, if you can't believe me at least save your shsh so that you can come back to 6

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I was very surprised to see just how much more powerful the 4s was compared to the 4. We have an iPhone 4 and will be getting a 5s in the near future. Glad to see that iOS 7 will run on the 4. The 5s bears the question: how much more powerful will cell phones need to be before they are powerful enough for the 99%?

MartyBeez

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
The Hague, NL
I was very surprised to see just how much more powerful the 4s was compared to the 4. We have an iPhone 4 and will be getting a 5s in the near future. Glad to see that iOS 7 will run on the 4. The 5s bears the question: how much more powerful will cell phones need to be before they are powerful enough for the 99%?

Having seem the graph during yesterday's presentation where they showed increase in CPU and GPU performance over the iPhone versions, it's indeed staggering how powerful cellphones are getting.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2013
Can't tell if these are some parody posts or you folks have vision problems. Ios 7 isn't near close to ios 6, even ios 6 jailbroken to the bones. Everythink lags, you have to use 2 rows of icons to get rid of the lag, scrolling through songs still laggy, settings app laggy, setting wallpapers is slow as hell, the keyboard is most of the times laggy, in safari is just hell using the keyboard, only in messages and few other stock apps it works fine. App store is very laggy, it isn't smooth at all, laggy as helllll. The only thing that I actually like better than ios 6 is the camera app, the animations seem snappier. Don't install ios 7 on iphone 4, you'll end up having an android phone, if you can't believe me at least save your shsh so that you can come back to 6
Looks like you and me have totally different experiences.

Okay, I can agree that setting wallpapers takes like 1-3 extra seconds but who sits there allday changing your phones wallpaper?! No one.

About the music app, I dont know yet because iTunes doesn't work so I can't out any music on my phone lol

My AppStore is fantastic, so fast compared to iOS6 jb.

I haven't tries camera yet so I can't comment on that...

Keyboard in Safari is very good, actually I'm typing this post on my iPhone4 running iOS7 GM.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Having gone through every beta on the iPhone 4, I have to say the GM was a pleasant surprise. So far it's running very smooth and is almost making my wonder if I should hold out for a while and just keep this phone.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Looks like you and me have totally different experiences.

And also different standards. Have you tried typing really fast in the search field in safari? And don't say that there is no one that types really fast.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Downloaded, installed and it runs very similar to beta 6 minor speed boost thats all, kind of expected.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Can we shift+restore in iTunes 10.5... and then restore from iCloud?

Anyone done this?

I want it to be a clean install, but an upgrade.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Installed this morning. Works great. Restored from my iCloud backup. A bit laggy and warm for a few hours, but once all my messages, photos, apps were downloaded everything is running smooth now.

Tried real racing 3 and that works great. Same as iOS6 really.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
And also different standards. Have you tried typing really fast in the search field in safari? And don't say that there is no one that types really fast.

I think it's probably different standards. I can see what you're saying as far as speed typing into Safari search. But, that kind of lag isn't nearly as bad as my wife's phone on 4.1 Ice Cream Sandwich (HTC one V.)

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
My iPhone 4 experience with iOS7 betas was awful. Even in Beta 6, it was laggy as hell, wi-fi connection could loose several times per hour, typing in Safari could miss or displace about 50% of entered symbols, integrated apps icons could turn their places in between, and so on and so on.
Non of those bugs is present in GM. Yes, it's a bit slow comparing to iOS 6, but overall the performance is night and day comparing to betas, and ergonomics and functionality is far beyond of what previous iOS versions could deliver.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks for all the iP4 updates with the new GM. Please keep them coming. Having been burned with the iOS4 update on my old 3G, I really don't want to go through another borked phone ordeal with this 4.
I see that a lot mention using iCloud. Since I don't use it I wonder how that will affect performance.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
After some more use I'm still impressed. The call answering time (i.e. how long it takes to speak after your press "answer" on a call") is actually faster than previous iOSes - almost instant. Everything else is smooth. Yes, there are one or two minor jerks in the animation - but this is a 3 year old device! Really, given that the performance is very impressive, and I expect improvements (particularly to the responsiveness on "wake from standby") in future updates.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Hopefully these two screenshots show it, but there is a very subtle amount of transparency going on with the Notifications Center:

http://i.imgur.com/0qzCuOc.png

and

http://i.imgur.com/vXwZRYs.png

This just keep in trend with how it would display with a newer model iPhone. Just not to the same degree and also keeps some form of unity across the devices.

As for the design choice, I guess that's down to personal preference. I like it as it is but I can understand where you're coming from.

The NC actually looks alright, since the dark theme looks decent. They should have made CC look the same, at least there would be some consistency. I just really dislike the pale grey NC, it looks like a beta design.

ncvikingx97

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
So far it seems pretty laggy for me. Scrolling isn't very smooth, the app exit animation lags, an so does the folder animation. It seems everyone else's is pretty smooth. Do you think it is because I just installed it?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
So far it seems pretty laggy for me. Scrolling isn't very smooth, the app exit animation lags, an so does the folder animation. It seems everyone else's is pretty smooth. Do you think it is because I just installed it?

I put my phone in DFU mode and "restored" the phone with iOS 7 GM. I did not backup any data as to have a completely clean install. I'm still experiencing what you posted.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I find it amazing that people say it runs "smoothly"; stop lying to yourself and others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.