Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Any reason the homescreen lags when scrolling?

Biggest annoyance of all

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Interesting. I just started a 5 min timer and it's counting down.

After another restart and enabling then disabling my 3G, it appears the messages app is happy. Awesome!

For an update I just made some tea and the lock screen countdown was working this time. :D

ncvikingx97

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
I put my phone in DFU mode and "restored" the phone with iOS 7 GM. I did not backup any data as to have a completely clean install. I'm still experiencing what you posted.

Bummer. I tried restoring , but it just caused me to have to have to connect to itunes, where I didnt have itubes 11.1. Now my ph I be is a brick until I call verizon lol.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
After some more use I'm still impressed. The call answering time (i.e. how long it takes to speak after your press "answer" on a call") is actually faster than previous iOSes - almost instant. Everything else is smooth. Yes, there are one or two minor jerks in the animation - but this is a 3 year old device! Really, given that the performance is very impressive, and I expect improvements (particularly to the responsiveness on "wake from standby") in future updates.

Now that you mention in, I always thought iOS:6 took ages before I could start speaking on call, where as with iOS:7 so far as soon as I press, accept, I can talk.

So far it seems pretty laggy for me. Scrolling isn't very smooth, the app exit animation lags, an so does the folder animation. It seems everyone else's is pretty smooth. Do you think it is because I just installed it?

Another member mentioned letting the iPhone to cache everything and then it should speed up. Give a night to charge and do it's thing. It has sped up some things for me.

Again, I think it's relative. Compared to a 4S or 5, it's slower. However, I think it's far from 'annoying' or 'choppy.'. YMMV, I guess.

For a 3 year old device, it's doing well. I personally have an eye for jittery animations and lag because I'm a bit of a hardcore gamer and notice these things. But so far it's been perfect acceptable. The animation duration could be quicker. I like opening something, BAM it's open (for an example)

Any reason the homescreen lags when scrolling?

Biggest annoyance of all

I have a jitter here and there, only when moving fast between pages.

Today I will be putting the phone through a typical day (occasional checking of emails, facebook, etc) and see how the battery life is.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Am I going mad or does the animated clock icon cause the homescreen lag?

I am testing it now...

Clock on homescreen, and then clock hidden in a folder.

I seriously feel it doesn't lag when scrolling when it's in a folder. Can anyone else try?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I installed yesterday. It was laggy initially. Once everything from my backup was restored and it finished whatever it was doing (indexing?) it's now smooth again. Just like iOS6.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I am very OCD about lags.

Trust me - if you DFU restore iOS7 onto your iPhone 4 it is VERY smooth... just leave it for a few hours to fully restore (iCloud takes hours).

Can someone please test though - I think the clock app is causing homescreen swiping lag... if you didn't notice it is animated now. Try swiping back and forth to the homescreen which has the clock on it, and then try again with the clock app in a folder (so it's no longer animated).

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
I am very OCD about lags.

Trust me - if you DFU restore iOS7 onto your iPhone 4 it is VERY smooth... just leave it for a few hours to fully restore (iCloud takes hours).

Can someone please test though - I think the clock app is causing homescreen swiping lag... if you didn't notice it is animated now. Try swiping back and forth to the homescreen which has the clock on it, and then try again with the clock app in a folder (so it's no longer animated).

please tell me more about "DFU restore"
thank you!

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
So now I am starting to get torn. The slowness of text entry in Safari, in turning on from standby, and in other areas is starting to niggle.

This *feels* much slower than iOS6, and is starting to frustrate me. I am contemplating reverting back to iOS 6 while it is still possible.

iOS 6 was also not perfect and I might be exaggerating the extent of the difference though. Does anyone have two iPhone 4s they can test side by side to compare performance?

That would be heroic!

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
please tell me more about "DFU restore"
thank you!

DFU mode restore requires putting the iPhone into DFU mode then restoring via iTunes

Here's a link on how to get your iPhone into restore mode: http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode

So now I am starting to get torn. The slowness of text entry in Safari, in turning on from standby, and in other areas is starting to niggle.

This *feels* much slower than iOS6, and is starting to frustrate me. I am contemplating reverting back to iOS 6 while it is still possible.

iOS 6 was also not perfect and I might be exaggerating the extent of the difference though. Does anyone have two iPhone 4s they can test side by side to compare performance?

That would be heroic!

I'm quite OCD about performance and for the most part notice these things. The text entry in Safari does lag for me, mostly when it's bringing up history. And yeah I notice the waking from Standby being a bit lengthy.

I have noticed that in Safari when switches between portrait and landscape mode the transition animation is super smooth. I found it to stutter slightly in iOS:6

I have also updated my gallery to also include a days usage for me.

I cannot stress enough though that the only time my iPhone was 'on charge' was when I plugged in my iPhone to export the photo onto my PC. The battery wouldn't of charged more than 2%.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.PNG
    IMG_2484.PNG
    68.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I have noticed that in Safari when switches between portrait and landscape mode the transition animation is super smooth. I found it to stutter slightly in iOS:6

Yes - certain things are much smoother! I think making calls is much smoother than ios 6 - I always had a lag on answer which was annoying. Zero lag on answer in ios 7.

I do trust Apple to iron out these remaining performance issues in ios 7. My only worry is when they will stop allowing downgrades to ios 6. Does anyone know when they normally do this?

Nikcomp

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Let the Iphone sit for 30 minutes

Been using Gold Master for Iphone 4. I would wait 30-60 minutes before using after you start your icloud sync. Honestly the animations are jittery but the actual performance seems smoother than IOS 6. Its "way" better than IOS7 beta 6 which to me really wasn't usable. Good job overall supporting such an old phone by Apple.:)

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Honestly the animations are jittery but the actual performance seems smoother than IOS 6.

Seems like many of the observations about iOS 7 and the 4 have been about animations. I wish Apple would either adjust them for older devices or give the option to not have them. I remember on my 3G (which I mistakenly updated the phone to iOS4) there was a jail break to speed animations. At least the speed gave the illusion the phone was working smoother!

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I gotta say - Safari for me is the big win.

On iOS6 it just felt so god damn slow, I hated it. Stopped even using Safari in the end, but on iOS7 it is super smooth

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I gotta say - Safari for me is the big win.

On iOS6 it just felt so god damn slow, I hated it. Stopped even using Safari in the end, but on iOS7 it is super smooth

Browsing is smooth but tab button and omnibar are slow.....

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
Seems like many of the observations about iOS 7 and the 4 have been about animations. I wish Apple would either adjust them for older devices or give the option to not have them. I remember on my 3G (which I mistakenly updated the phone to iOS4) there was a jail break to speed animations. At least the speed gave the illusion the phone was working smoother!

I had that jailbreak tweak too on my phone. It did make the phone look a lot snappier.

mRta03

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Does anyone knows how to enable "Frequent Locations" on iPhone 4? I've been gathering some information about it on Google and I still don't understand how we enable the service. It would be really nice to use the traffic information on the Notification Center.

On general, there's a little lag when you press the Home button to unlock the phone, and some here and there while operating the phone. I guess it's ok if you think it's an iPhone 4. Either way, I never expected that something so clean and beautiful would be on this old phone.

And there's no AirDrop too, such a shame.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
So - just for the comparison I threw iOS 6.1.3 back on my iPhone 4. And was blown away how smooth and responsive it felt! iOS 6 just feels "right" on the phone. iOS 7 at the moment feels like I'm expecting too much of the thing. OK, it's not quite Windows Vista, but it is more sluggish than I am used to with this product.

So… for the time being I have decided to stay down at 6.1.3. Give me a shout if 7 gets snappier!

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Does anyone knows how to enable "Frequent Locations" on iPhone 4? I've been gathering some information about it on Google and I still don't understand how we enable the service. It would be really nice to use the traffic information on the Notification Center.

It used to exist back in beta 1 or 2, but they removed it at some point AFAIK. Didn't found it that useful anyway, it just kept telling me how long I'd need to get to my uni because that's apparently the place I frequent the most. And believe me, I know how long it takes me to get there, I don't need my phone telling me.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
It's much better than beta 6, but it's still slow.

To clarify, most things are okay (a bit slower and stuttery than ios6 but acceptable) and some things are WAY too slow. Example, drop down lists in safari take quite a while to become responsive. Performance in games is noticeably slower.

I found beta 6 unusable, GM is usable but not great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.