Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
You have to delete the conversations, save whatever photos or videos to your roll. Quit hanging on to the text messages.

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I registered just to say thanks for this. I was able to recover almost 2GB from my 8GB iPhone 4. I never would've suspected the Messages app if iOS 7 hadn't pointed it out. My phone came with iOS 5 and has been subsequently updated each time on release day, so I was definitely inside the window of the bug.

Surprisingly, the iPhone 4 is very capable of running iOS 7. There are a couple of jittery animations every so often, but nothing that makes the phone feel unresponsive or unreliable. I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Again, thanks - this was a huge help!

Did you use ifunbox?

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I used iBackupBot because I was at work on a Windows 7 machine. The whole process was dead easy. Looking through those directories, I had attachments from early 2012!

I tried with ifunbox and the directory wasn't there. I wonder if I couldn't find it because I have an iphone 5s.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
If your messages get backed up to iCloud the same way they do to the computer, the restoring to an iCloud backup workaround wouldn't work.

My messages took up 3 GB of data (of which 1 GB turned out to be "dead space" from old attachments), but my iCloud backup is not even 1 GB. I don't have a Messages-toggle there either...

This worked for me. These actual messages were not on my phone, but cached somehow, I suspect old ones from iOS 6. It only takes a few minutes and it will likely solve the messages problem. Minus the "saved" messages, my phone was all set up the way I had it before the restore, so I didn't have to reinstall or set anything up again.

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
This worked for me. These actual messages were not on my phone, but cached somehow, I suspect old ones from iOS 6. It only takes a few minutes and it will likely solve the messages problem. Minus the "saved" messages, my phone was all set up the way I had it before the restore, so I didn't have to reinstall or set anything up again.
What did you do?
Backup via iCloud, restore the phone and then restore the iCloud backup?

hxcdave

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013

I mainly signed up to say ibackupbot did not work for my iphone 5. I made the dulpicate, I deleted the 2 treads for messages and what not. And it wouldnt give me the restore option at all, so i refreshed saw it was still deleted so i restored my phone TWICE, using the dupilicate and the original and it still reads 1.1 for me, now 1.2 today and it seems like my total usage is also going down , but no show for that. I restored yesterday and got 10 gb , from which i had 8.6 ish aviable before the restore, so i freed up some 'other' like the old fix was where restore and all, but i went from 10 yesterday to 9.4 today now. And honestly, no clue as to why it dropped that far because i havent downloaded anything new onto it. There needs to be a fix soon for this, i have a 16 gb iphone 5, which only gives me 13 available space, and if its slowly going to go down, then there is going to be a problem

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I mainly signed up to say ibackupbot did not work for my iphone 5. I made the dulpicate, I deleted the 2 treads for messages and what not. And it wouldnt give me the restore option at all, so i refreshed saw it was still deleted so i restored my phone TWICE, using the dupilicate and the original and it still reads 1.1 for me, now 1.2 today and it seems like my total usage is also going down , but no show for that. I restored yesterday and got 10 gb , from which i had 8.6 ish aviable before the restore, so i freed up some 'other' like the old fix was where restore and all, but i went from 10 yesterday to 9.4 today now. And honestly, no clue as to why it dropped that far because i havent downloaded anything new onto it. There needs to be a fix soon for this, i have a 16 gb iphone 5, which only gives me 13 available space, and if its slowly going to go down, then there is going to be a problem

I actually called Apple and they are aware of it. Go figure!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
If it didn't work for you, you did something wrong. But messing around with files isn't for everyone (which is why Apple doesn't allow users to access the file system), try the iCloud backup workaround instead.

----------

I actually called Apple and they are aware of it. Go figure!

Of course they're aware of it, they fixed the bug a long time ago.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
There is a solution...kind of. You can SSH into the phone and delete these directories and it will force Spotlight to recreate them:

Folders:
com.apple.MobileSMS
com.apple.SpotlightTopHits

If you're phone isn't Jailbroken, hopefully Apple includes a way to do this from the interface soon.

There is no way they will include a way to fix this, since they've already fixed the bug and restoring to an iCloud backup solves the problem. If they would have been interested in such a fix, it would have come a long time ago.

The only ones affected are those who, between iOS 6.0 and 6.1, deleted messages threads with attachments and haven't set up the phone as new or restored to an iCloud backup since.

Plus, those unaware of what's going on will most likely just buy a phone with more storage when they upgrade...

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
What did you do?
Backup via iCloud, restore the phone and then restore the iCloud backup?

Exactly that.
Restored through iTunes, then when setting up I used my latest iCloud backup to restore. After that, my saved messages were less than 5 mb. All settings, etc. we're exactly the same as before the restore, of course.

hxcdave

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Exactly that.
Restored through iTunes, then when setting up I used my latest iCloud backup to restore. After that, my saved messages were less than 5 mb. All settings, etc. we're exactly the same as before the restore, of course.

Im prob going to try this

----------

If it didn't work for you, you did something wrong. But messing around with files isn't for everyone (which is why Apple doesn't allow users to access the file system), try the iCloud backup workaround instead.

----------

[/COLOR]

Of course they're aware of it, they fixed the bug a long time ago.

Im good with going into files and what not, but I would plug my phone in and then I would get an error saying connecting device failed and stuff like that. I mean, I will prob end up doing the iCloud but i have honestly never restored from a iCloud back up so I have no clue will will be loaded and all. Also, off topic alittle, is anyone elses iPhone 5 on iOS7 battery dying fast?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure if this has a resolve, but it's taking 5GB of my storage and I cannot delete/edit. I delete my message threads regularly.

Not sure if I'm having a naive moment, but I'm unable to free up the memory. I guess a factory wipe would resolve this, but it's not practical at the moment, albeit I'm willing to do for the storage.

Have you tried a hard reboot. Force quit the app first.

Even just powering down can help clear out garbage

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Since the days of the 3Gs, I have always used restore when buying a new iPhone. I had a 2gb of text messages and even using ifunbox didnt clear the entire message usage down.
In the end I did a factory reset on my 5s and reinstalled everything manually. I didnt have much data that I needed to keep and to my astonishment, I now have an extra 8 to 9gb of free so its not just messages that is hogging space. I am sure that over time, there are other things that take up space and never release it.

guinevere75

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks Stratus Fear....

I had 1.4G of space being hogged by saved messages on my kid's device... that's a friggin' movie! With ibackupbot, I was able to get these deleted and add another movie title in it's place. I got a few error messages that I had no idea what they meant, but deleting the folders in these two specified locations worked, and when I restored from the backup, I had erased the messages - for those of you wondering, all of my son's apps were still there and in the same state of play - all settings were accurate, all levels the same. Thank you! :)

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Why not follow Stratus Fear's recommendation by using iBackupBot......

That method crashes and burns on every attempt for me. The restore never works. I always have to go back to iTunes to restore from the one on my MAC.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
That method crashes and burns on every attempt for me. The restore never works. I always have to go back to iTunes to restore from the one on my MAC.

The way I did it: I made two backups at the same time in iTunes, went to iBackupBot and chose one of them (it was like a minute or two between them), edited it, hit cmd+s out of habit, quit the app, restored via iTunes.

Never even entered my mind to restore via iBackupBot :)

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Why are you upset with Apple. You participated in Messaging and over the course of time your Messages.app grew in size and scope.*

While Apple should have increased iCloud storage they aren't obligated to do so.

Try parsing your messages and deleting photos and videos. If that isn't enough you can delete entire conversations by lowest importance.

If you don't wish to do either then pay up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

*Images and videos.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Why are you upset with Apple. You participated in Messaging and over the course of time your Messages.app grew in size and scope.*

While Apple should have increased iCloud storage they aren't obligated to do so.

Try parsing your messages and deleting photos and videos. If that isn't enough you can delete entire conversations by lowest importance.

If you don't wish to do either then pay up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

*Images and videos.

You don't understand. The problem comes from a bug in iOS 6 that was fixed in iOS 6.1, where deleting a discussion in Messages didn't delete the attachments from the phone.

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009

*Images and videos.

iCloud has nothing to do with messages hogging the physical memory on the phone after being deleted.

FLYING SE7EN

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm having trouble using iBackupbot to delete the old messages. I've got 867MB of them. I'm not finding a way to navigate to the location indicated in the instructions posted in this thread. Can someone walk me through the process either here or via PM? I'm using iBackupbot version 3.6.5 on Windows 7.

Thanks.

ricpin100

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
I also has same issue. iPhone 5 on iOS 7.02
the iMessage took up a shocking 15.4GB! i deleted most of my messages, only a few left, and even with pics, i dont think they will exceeed 100MB.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

*Images and videos.

I'm upset with Apple because of poor programming causing a bug in their software making it impossible to regain the space those messages used even after they are deleted. This effects iCloud and the physical space on the iOS device. Restoring from new or blundering around in the file system is the only way to fix this.

That in itself is annoying. Apple and everyone goes on and on about how great the back up system is but the slightest thing goes wrong and everyone tells you to restore from new.

If I only had true access to my iCloud I pay for even basic access I could fix this in 2 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.