Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Android replace iOS?

• Total voters

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
What features do you think Apple will implement in the coming mobile operating systems? Not including iOS 6.

AND

Do you think Android will eventually kill iOS? (Answer in the poll above.)

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Why kind of question is that? It's like saying "will Windows eventually replace OSX?" Both iOS and Android will coexist in the future no matter which one has the most market share.

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
Why kind of question is that? It's like saying "will Windows eventually replace OSX?" Both iOS and Android will coexist in the future no matter which one has the most market share.

I disagree with you on that. Both Apple and Google will continue to fight for the title of "most advanced operating system." I think different companies will always try to force the other in to bankruptcy. They cannot coexist. (Unfortunately)

Last edited:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I disagree with you on that. Both Apple and Google will continue to fight for the title of "most advanced operating system." I think different companies will always try to force the other in to bankruptcy. They cannot coexist. (Unfortunately)

Are you kidding me? Neither company is going to go bankrupt during the Android and iOS years. They will both live on long past these operating systems. They can and will coexist. It is how the market works. This is a stupid thread.

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
No, they will co-exist.

Like the PC world with OS X, W7/8 and Linux it will be the same with the smartphone world (iOS, Android, and WP8)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

What's so advanced about Android?

Android has ZERO chance of beating Apple and Microsoft. Anyone telling you otherwise has a rectal cranial inversion.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

The previously mentioned battle of "most advanced operating system" going on between OSX vs. Windows has been going on for 2 decades and neither company is close to bankruptcy.

Heck, there are very, very few industries in general where one company beat the other into bankruptcy.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Just like coke and Pepsi can't coexist? That's an absurd statement.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Android doesn't make money is why.

When android is selling like 4 billion phones a year, then maybe Apple might be in trouble.

profitsshare1.jpg

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

they can't coexist? why not. the Mac OS and Windows and Linux/Unix have all coexisted in the personal computer world so why wouldn't android and iOS both exist in the handheld market? one might do better than the other but that doesn't mean that one has to replace all other OSes.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Do you not live in reality? How many appliance makers, car makers, carpet, furniture, clothes makers are there? As far as I can tell GMC, Ford, Chevy, and other car makers are still producing and selling their product without going away. To say something like you did really shows a lack of how things in the world really work.

I have to assume it's either because of your age (maturity level) or you simply feel the need to make threads that will most likely end in a flame war.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
This is a silly topic, and there are more silly replies than rational ones.

In my opinion (I ain't no tech analyst), Android and iOS (hopefully Windows Phone and Blackberry) will both exist until the next big thing after smartphones come out.

There's no reason for one smartphone OS to wipe out another. Even though Blackberry is dying due to the RIM's tardiness, there are still hundreds of users using blackberry phones. I bet you in 10 years someone on this planet will still be using a Blackberry, just like how one of my friends is still using their old nokia from high school.

Deal with it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

When android is selling like 4 billion phones a year, then maybe Apple might be in trouble.
'Android' doesn't sell phones, HTC, Samsung, etc. sell phones. Android is free, just like iOS.

iOS doesn't make any money either. The money from both camps comes from hardware sales and licensing fees.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
'Android' doesn't sell phones, HTC, Samsung, etc. sell phones. Android is free, just like iOS.

iOS doesn't make any money either. The money from both camps comes from hardware sales and licensing fees.

Apple makes plenty from iOS App store. Also iOS is half the selling point for the iPhone being that it's exclusive to it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Whereas I recognise your point, it is kind of unrelated. Apple can make the £, but they will fall short of 3rd party devs if Android gets used more by the public, thus falling short.

Apple need to play a little bit of catchup to Android atm imo since the showing of iOS 6 and JB 4.1. If they do catch up then all will be fine. If not, users will choose android devices and the rest will follow.

That said, the iOS devices will probably continue to sell well, even if they aren't ahead of their game like they used to be.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Whereas I recognise your point, it is kind of unrelated. Apple can make the £, but they will fall short of 3rd party devs if Android gets used more by the public, thus falling short.

Apple need to play a little bit of catchup to Android atm imo since the showing of iOS 6 and JB 4.1. If they do catch up then all will be fine. If not, users will choose android devices and the rest will follow.

That said, the iOS devices will probably continue to sell well, even if they aren't ahead of their game like they used to be.

I hope you don't meant catch up with regard to getting sued by multiple large companies. The Oracle law suit was just the beginning.

iOS 6 is more than a worthy challenger to Jelly Bean and like always people are in waiting mode for the next iPhone. On July 24th Apple will beat the street again and get prepared for an outstanding holiday quarter.

As for Android. It's really quite simple. Microsoft and Apple have far more influence than Google. Steve Jobs once said "owning a high volume OS is a license to print money" and he was not wrong. If you control a significant portion of desktops you can leverage that with your mobile strategy and with iCloud Apple is doubling down (heheh)

Android is carrier driven. Which is why they haven't focused on tablets because Verizon, Tmobile and ATT aren't going to focus on selling non subsidized hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.