Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I still have high hopes for iOS 8.1. Public Transit Directions etc. Not HUGE changes, but smaller yet not tiny ones.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
If I get an email notification, I drag it down to see my email. In iOS 8, I drag it down and it says mark as read or delete (at least I think it said delete). No more option to read it. Sucks.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I still have high hopes for iOS 8.1. Public Transit Directions etc. Not HUGE changes, but smaller yet not tiny ones.

Oh my goodness, iOS 8 isn't even out yet!

----------

If I get an email notification, I drag it down to see my email. In iOS 8, I drag it down and it says mark as read or delete (at least I think it said delete). No more option to read it. Sucks.

Can't you drag down even further to reveal the email?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I do like the new Control Center look.
I think it plays nicely with the rest of the transparency they've used so far.

I am sure, after hearing of Apple's decision to add 3rd-party apps to use stock apps and switching out keyboards that CC customization will be coming. they just want people to really use the features as is and then they allow more to be done with it.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Seems odd that they would remove the bug reporting app. Are they convinced there's no bugs left to report? :confused:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there a way to turn off the install/open app banner that shows up in Safari when you navigate to a website that also has an app?

ballsop

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Messages app

I'm pretty sure the emoji symbol is now much happier??

I hate that apple have removed the feature to swipe the keyboard down on an phone if the body of your message exceeds the space where your thread is.

----------
Safari

Was there always a "frequently visited" section on iPhone?

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Stick it in a folder with all the other 'useless' stuff. We can complain all we want but it seems Apple has no intention of making these apps deletable.

Maybe if enough people emailed Tim, he's step in and make the change. If he'll do it for hold music, then he should do it for something that actually makes a difference.

Think about those who could only afford a 16GB iPhone and how this affects their storage. It limits us from buying more apps, thereby making Apple less money, whereas these stupid stock apps don't increase Apple's profits.

By allowing us to remove the iCrap Apple installs by default, Apple is limiting their profits.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
but in Cellular, theres a new option under "data roaming" called "EU Internet"
"EU Internet services only applies to Internet and personal hotspot data traffic"

I'm presuming that EU means European Union? Excuse me if it's verbal diarrhoea

That makes sense because new EU regulations mean that data roaming within the EU is very cheap or even free for customers of EU carriers, so it's a good option for people to be able to say that they'll accept cheap roaming but still shut it off for non-EU countries.

However the logic behind the switches isn't clear to me - you can only turn "EU Roaming" On if you have "Data Roaming" On - having both switches on presumably means that Data Roaming is On only for EU countries, but I don't think the logic is great as turning on overall "Data Roaming" might be regarded as risky. And the logic behind having "Data Roaming" On and "EU Roaming" Off suggests that you can only roam in non-EU countries...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe if enough people emailed Tim, he's step in and make the change. If he'll do it for hold music, then he should do it for something that actually makes a difference.

Think about those who could only afford a 16GB iPhone and how this affects their storage. It limits us from buying more apps, thereby making Apple less money, whereas these stupid stock apps don't increase Apple's profits.

By allowing us to remove the iCrap Apple installs by default, Apple is limiting their profits.

How much space do they take up (I've never checked). I'd love it if Apple's apps were decoupled from the OS because then maybe we'd get regular updates rather than just once a year.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
British users (thats me) can now use the new spotlight features in iOS 8 beta 4 AND Yosemite Developer Preview 4. In previous betas, spotlight features were the same.

EDIT:

It only displays Wikipedia results.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
So . . .

iOS7 design concept: "People know how to use a smart phone, let's get rid of all these useless visual cues that are cluttering up the UI"

iOS8 design concept: "People don't know how to interact with the UI anymore. Let's provide weekly Tips to help them out"

richardsim7

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Dear Apple,

For the love of god, please make it so when you hold down an icon in Control Centre (WiFi, Bluetooth or Do Not Disturb), it takes you to the settings

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The new Control Center is a much better design. Less cluttered looking without all the outlines conflicting with the volume and brightness lines. I'm really liking all the improvements in iOS8.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So . . .

iOS7 design concept: "People know how to use a smart phone, let's get rid of all these useless visual cues that are cluttering up the UI"

iOS8 design concept: "People don't know how to interact with the UI anymore. Let's provide weekly Tips to help them out"

There are lots of Settings within iOS that the average user may not be aware of unless they dig through the Settings app.

I think the new Tips app is a nice addition for the average user to figure out the many features of iOS they may be unaware of.

TheDutchGamer

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Another stock app that can't be uninstalled. Terrific.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy at all, but they certainly do it right with Metro, err Modern UI. You can uninstall any stock app you want and if you decide you want it back, just go to the Microsoft Store and redownload it.

Apple is failing those of us that don't want or need the crap that comes preinstalled.

I think that at launch you can disable it.
Would be stupid if Apple doesn't let people disable it.
As a experienced user it is unnecessary, as a new user it could be very handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.