Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
How much space do they take up (I've never checked). I'd love it if Apple's apps were decoupled from the OS because then maybe we'd get regular updates rather than just once a year.

Podcast app by itself is 13.8MB, so assuming that most, if not all, are around that size, that's 100MB+ for stock apps.

If you took the 10 most useless stock apps (Notes, iBooks, Compass, Game Center, Newsstand, Stocks, Voice Memos, Weather, Podcasts and Tips) and allowed the user to delete them, they could spend a minimum of $9.90 on apps of their choosing. For a billion iPhone users, that would calculate to an extra $9.9 billion in revenue.

Obviously that's a very simplified way of looking at it, but my point remains, there's a lot of lost revenue to be made. I won't spend money on apps that I can't install because the OS is so full of iCrap that I have to delete apps I actually want in order to download new apps.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Could someone take screenshots of the Tips icon on the iPhone Homescreen, in Spotlight search and in Settings (so 120, 80 and 58 sizes), then upload the screenshots here in .png format?

It would be great if someone could also do the same for the Health app icons.

Thanks!

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
I think that at launch you can disable it.
Would be stupid if Apple doesn't let people disable it.
As a experienced user it is unnecessary, as a new user it could be very handy.

I don't care about disabling it. That isn't my point, re-read what I wrote. I want to completely delete it. Space is the issue, not it popping up and annoying me (it doesn't do that, it is just another useless stock app I won't ever use).

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Apple, I'm begging you, please make Control Center customizable. I NEVER use the orientation lock, but I do frequently turn cell data and personal hotspot on and off. Thank you.

I never use orientation lock, airplane mode (don't fly that much) or that "moon mode" that I am still yet to understand. I do though go to settings > Cellular > Cellular data all the time, 'cause it's the simpliest way to manage the internet traffic.
But, it's the matter of Apple politics, and I do hate with enormous passion when the politics mess with simple useability or engineering.

Oh, btw, who cares if the bookmarks icon looks more like a book , bring me the freaking full screen caller picture from 7.0.4 back !!!

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Apple, I'm begging you, please make Control Center customizable. I NEVER use the orientation lock, but I do frequently turn cell data and personal hotspot on and off. Thank you.

Does the fact that hot spot paring is near automatic with iOS 8 and Yosemite?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I'm not sure if I like that new Safari bookmarks icon. And having the "Tips" app seems a little unnecessary with the User Manual being a pre-loaded bookmark in Safari.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Podcast app by itself is 13.8MB, so assuming that most, if not all, are around that size, that's 100MB+ for stock apps.

If you took the 10 most useless stock apps (Notes, iBooks, Compass, Game Center, Newsstand, Stocks, Voice Memos, Weather, Podcasts and Tips) and allowed the user to delete them, they could spend a minimum of $9.90 on apps of their choosing. For a billion iPhone users, that would calculate to an extra $9.9 billion in revenue.

Obviously that's a very simplified way of looking at it, but my point remains, there's a lot of lost revenue to be made. I won't spend money on apps that I can't install because the OS is so full of iCrap that I have to delete apps I actually want in order to download new apps.
Something like 100 MB is pretty much insignificant even on a 16 GB of storage, and it's hard to say that the really optional stock apps (not counting the much more native ones like Mail, Safari, Calendar, Clock, etc.) would really add up to all that much.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I never use orientation lock, airplane mode (don't fly that much) or that "moon mode" that I am still yet to understand. I do though go to settings > Cellular > Cellular data all the time, 'cause it's the simpliest way to manage the internet traffic.
But, it's the matter of Apple politics, and I do hate with enormous passion when the politics mess with simple useability or engineering.

Oh, btw, who cares if the bookmarks icon looks more like a book , bring me the freaking full screen caller picture from 7.0.4 back !!!

1) Moon mode? It's Do Not Disturb. You can turn it on manually, or set it to a schedule to turn on and turn off. When it's on, your phone will not light up nor make sounds when you receive notifications - ideal for night when you are asleep, or during a meeting, etc. where you do not want your phone lighting up and beeping and such.

2) Full screen call pictures are back. Go into the Info for the contact, and re-select the photo you would like to use. Next time you get a call from that contact, it should be full screen.

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Something like 100 MB is pretty much insignificant even on a 16 GB of storage, and it's hard to say that the really optional stock apps (not counting the much more native ones like Mail, Safari, Calendar, Clock, etc.) would really add up to all that much.

What are you talking about? If there's another app that is 10MB or so that I want to download, but a stock app is taking up my space, it is significant.

I can understand Mail, Safari, Calendar, Clock, etc. because Apple doesn't have a way to set default apps, but the Podcast app, the Compass, etc. are useless to me and probably a lot of people. I'd rather recoup that lost space for ME; let me decide what I want to use and what I want to get rid of.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I haven't read the entire thread, but I do NOT have the Tips app installed on my phone. Updated to beta 4 about 30 minutes ago. Everything else mentioned in the article is the same.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I haven't read the entire thread, but I do NOT have the Tips app installed on my phone. Updated to beta 4 about 30 minutes ago. Everything else mentioned in the article is the same.

It stuck the Tips app in a random folder I have (one I have called "Health"). Check in your folders.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK

Try hard reseting the phone: To reset, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
The handoff and suggested apps menu is not there on the iPhone 4S, however I can still make calls from the mac using my 4S so I dunno why the option is absent.

Maybe the 4S will not get the full handoff experience due to age, to be honest only the calls and text messages have worked between my 4S and 2012 MacBook Pro in the last beta's, none of the other cool features such as picking up a safari tab on phone from mac and vice/versa

----------

Try hard reseting the phone: To reset, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

You will have, it may just be hidden in a random folder, mine was hidden in my TV folder where I have all my TV based apps.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Really? I got tired of checking every day. :)

Yea. Got a pop up in safari. Then tested it in spotlight.

Already back.

What are you talking about? If there's another app that is 10MB or so that I want to download, but a stock app is taking up my space, it is significant.

I can understand Mail, Safari, Calendar, Clock, etc. because Apple doesn't have a way to set default apps, but the Podcast app, the Compass, etc. are useless to me and probably a lot of people. I'd rather recoup that lost space for ME; let me decide what I want to use and what I want to get rid of.

Apple has never separated out native apps on iOS. It's not happening. Either make complaints to Apple (who do not read this) or accept its not changing. Bitching on here won't solve anything.

mjsprad

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014

My Tips app was hidden in my "Misc" apps folder.

kaplag

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I'm not sure if I like that new Safari bookmarks icon. And having the "Tips" app seems a little unnecessary with the User Manual being a pre-loaded bookmark in Safari.

I think the new icon is much more readable at a glance. The other one was so subtle. I'm sure it will make it's way across the system and the ibooks icon will be updated too.

I can see why apple put in the tips app. no one reads the manual and it's not really in a digestible form. I learn more about the os from those tip videos at the genius bar and I'm sure my older family members might like it. Though it does replace my job....

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
That new bookmark icon... Here's hoping they change the iBooks icon to match the Yosemite one, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.