Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fifth beta of iOS 8, which brings a number of improvements, tweaks, and bug fixes to the beta software that was first introduced on June 2.

iOS 8 beta 5, like previous betas, includes several minor interface modifications designed to make iOS 8 feel faster and more polished. We've gathered up a comprehensive list of all the enhancements that have been bundled into the new beta release below, and to find out about all of the under-the-radar changes in iOS 8 so far, make sure to check out our iOS 8 Hidden Features Roundup.

Health: According to the beta's release notes, Apple's Health app now collects Spirometry data. Spirometry tests measure lung function, tracking the volume and flow of air when inhaling and exhaling. The app has gained several new icons, the ability to export Health data, and a "Show When Logged" option to display Medical ID on the lock screen. There are also privacy settings for Health in the Settings app.

SMS Relay: iOS 8 users are getting a popup that asks them to use their phone numbers for SMS Relay on their MacBooks, one of the new Continuity features between OS X Yosemite and iOS 8.

smsrelay.jpg
Photos: Photos now displays a "Last Updated" notification to let users know when images were last synced to iCloud. There's also an iCloud Photo Settings option to store full resolution photos solely in iCloud while keeping device-optimized versions available on the iPhone to save storage space.

photosoptimize.jpg
iCloud icons: iCloud Drive, Backup, and Keychain have new icons in the iCloud section of the Settings app. The overall iCloud icon has also been updated, featuring a white cloud on a field of blue.

newicloudsettingsicons.jpg
WiFi Calling: When WiFi calling is enabled, it's now labeled T-Mobile WiFi at the top of the iPhone screen.

tmobilewifi.jpg
Predictive text: There's now an option on the keyboard to toggle on predictive text.

predictive.jpg
Wallpaper Settings: The Brightness toggle has been removed from the Wallpaper section of the Settings app. Changing screen brightness can now be done via the Display & Brightness section of the Settings app that was added in a previous iOS 8 beta.

Additional features in iOS 8 beta 5 will be added here as they are discovered. Apple is likely to continue pushing regular updates to iOS 8 at two or three-week intervals to bring minor performance boosts and changes ahead of the operating system's launch. For more information on iOS 8's features, major and minor, make sure to check out our roundups.

Article Link: iOS 8 Beta 5 Tidbits: SMS Relay, New iCloud Icons, Health App Updates, and More

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I like the new icloud icons. Actually the whole OS is just great. Beta 5 is already a solid upgrade over iOS 7 and this really puts the final touches on the aesthetics.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
SMS Relay?

I'm trying to understand? Is this so messages can relay ALL types of messages not just iMessage or is this something different?

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
The T-Moible Wi-Fi is a little big for the status bar.

I'm trying to understand? Is this so messages can relay ALL types of messages not just iMessage or is this something different?

It means it will forward SMS messages (the green ones) to your iPad or mac.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota

I think it is simply just a notification now, asking you if you want to allow the relay of regular imessages or not

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
:(

The OS looks fantastic.

If only they made a cheaper iPhone for way less than 400 € unlocked while being "modern" (same screen size, same lighting ports, etc.), or a flagship (same expected price) that can actually be used comfortably for browsing the web, read, edit the ocasional doc and play some games without the fingers covering up the whole screen (this means a phone made for people in 2014, not 2007. 5" screen, more or less), I could justify an iPhone.

A blazingly fast, premium and expensive SMARTphone with a pathetically small screen (for 95% of most used tasks) isn't an option for me.

As it is... Oh well.

In a few years :)

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
SMS Relay is the biggest one for me. I'm glad Apple continues to take the stand against phone-only communication, unlike Microsoft with its totally lousy support for communication in Windows (no default email client, is this a joke??). I never want to be in the situation where I'm sitting in front of my Mac Pro with 2 screens and a keyboard and mouse but have to use an iPhone to send certain messages. It looks like Yosemite erases all possibilities of this happening.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Is wifi-calling already supported/functioning? If so, any word on how well it improves calls?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA

This is phone SMS text messages (non iOS users) now appearing in your iMessage (ones that you normally would not see, since they were only sent to your phone number). You'll also need Yosemite for this to work.

I would think that your iPhone would have to be on the same WiFi network. (I can't imagine they're intercepting at the carrier.)

Gary

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This is phone SMS text messages (non iOS users) now appearing in your iMessage (ones that you normally would not see, since they were only sent to your phone number). You'll also need Yosemite for this to work.

I would think that your iPhone would have to be on the same WiFi network. (I can't imagine they're intercepting at the carrier.)

Gary

Don't think they actually have to be on the same network - modern apple Devices can ad hoc communicate by wifi/Bluetooth without joining a network. Much of the handoff stuff works that way.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Lol, if you can't fix it, let them turn it off

Turning off predictive text is a great feature on iOS because Apple still can't get it right. It would have been better for them to fix the feature, but turning it off is better until they do.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If only they made a cheaper iPhone for way less than 400 € unlocked while being "modern"... ...(this means a phone made for people in 2014, not 2007. 5" screen, more or less), I could justify an iPhone.

A blazingly fast, premium and expensive SMARTphone with a pathetically small screen (for 95% of most used tasks) isn't an option for me.

In a few years :)

I've heard some rumors they might be increasing the screen size, but don't tell anyone, it's still a secret ;)

Apple rarely goes significantly cheaper in the long run. They establish a price point and hover around it (if not sticking to it), occasionally dropping it, sometimes raising it. See iMacs and Laptops: They liked keeping that $999 price point for years and years, although they now even have a $899 MacBook Air (but that took a long time) and they don't have a $999 iMac, it's $1099 now.

Gary

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
I went into Photos and was asked the same question. Looks like when you go into system apps, you'll be asked if you want to share your location.

I've attached an example in Passbook.

Attachments

• passbook-location.png
    passbook-location.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 228

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Here's hoping that I won't need to buy the 64GB iPhone & can save $200.

My biggest problem is my photos & videos take up so much room, but with iOS keeping device-optimized versions available on the iPhone to save storage space, maybe I could do with 16/32GB.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.