Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
The city of london has been updated in maps to now have an (almost) finished 122 leadenhall street (the cheese grater) and 20 Fenchurch Street (the walkie talkie).

This is not a new feature of iOS 8, this is a server data update which shows up everywhere Flyover is supported (Mavericks, iOS 7, etc).

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
I have read that WiFi calling is a significant improvement in quality when compared to carrier calling.

It depends on the voice codec they're using.

I guess that's what I'm trying to determine - if it switches to cellular, all good. If it drops the call... That's frustrating. I'll have to turn my wifi off in my office if I plan to make a call and then walk through downtown, where my phone will automatically connect to several different wifi networks along the way.

Plan on the call to drop. T mobile might be able to handle call continuity if you're calling a land line.

mcolongwood

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Orlando, FL
iTunes unable to back up iPhone

Anyone getting "iTunes could not back up the iPhone <My Phone> because the iPhone disconnected" after beta 5?

My last back up was Monday before the beta 5 download. Tried restarting (both the mac and the phone), changing cables etc.

Any help greatly appreciated!

nicecuppa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Anyone getting "iTunes could not back up the iPhone <My Phone> because the iPhone disconnected" after beta 5?

My last back up was Monday before the beta 5 download. Tried restarting (both the mac and the phone), changing cables etc.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Yes, i get this message at the end of every sync. The actual backup and sync seems to complete fine though. i just always get the message.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Don't think they actually have to be on the same network - modern apple Devices can ad hoc communicate by wifi/Bluetooth without joining a network. Much of the handoff stuff works that way.

Hadn't thought of the ad hoc part.

----------

he means local wifi (be it adhoc or otherwise).

That is more of what I was getting at. I can't leave the iPhone at work and answer it at home. It's got to be "local" (on my WiFi or close to one of the computers).

If it worked adhoc too, that would be nicer, so if I only hooked my computer up to the WiFi at a restaurant, if the phone could be answerable (or textable) by the computer, that'd be great.

Gary

----------

Actually the iPhone just needs an Internet connection. The routing is done through iCloud.

So you're saying I could have the iPhone anywhere in the world and I could answer it on the computer? (as long as both are on the internet).

I don't think it'll work that way. It'd be awesome, but I don't think so...

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.