Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Is wifi-calling already supported/functioning? If so, any word on how well it improves calls?

I have read that WiFi calling is a significant improvement in quality when compared to carrier calling.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
What happens if I'm on wifi calling and leave my home's wifi coverage area?

(Not a developer, so I can't test it out myself)

I believe that your call should transition to the carrier signal. But based on the quote below, the process needs to have improved since he used WiFi calling with Android:

I don't know if it is current, but back when I had at-Mobile and the wifi calling feature, it would drop the call when out of wifi range. The system couldn't seamlessly hand off between the two because of t-mobile's inability to reroute the call from their internet connection to a tower.

Don't know if that is still true, but maybe that helps.

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
If I choose to have my original (hi-res) photos stored on iCloud, rather than the phone itself, how do I access them in the future when needed?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If I choose to have my original (hi-res) photos stored on iCloud, rather than the phone itself, how do I access them in the future when needed?

Presumably via (as yet unavailable) photos app for mac os and a (as yet unavailable) web interface at iCloud.com.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Most recent flagship android phones already have wifi calling...

...and not only "recent" -- T-Mobile has offered Wi-Fi Calling for select/supported phones since at least 2010 (my Samsung Vibrant had it). A great feature; really glad to see it coming to iPhone!

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Mine just says 4G or LTE. Are you saying that it will instead say AT&T when it's on wifi?

AT&T doesn't support Wifi calling. It's something the carriers have to enable specifically. AFAIK only T-Mobile and Cincinnati Bell support it. Maybe a couple other regional carriers, too.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Agreed with this. Btw... why does the carrier name need to even appear on the top? Makes no sense to me. As an example, my work Android phone does not have this at all, so I know it can't be a "carrier mandated" thing.

Apple, please get rid of the carrier name in the menu bar. It's totally unnecessary and redundant. The user *already knows* what carrier he/she belongs to!

w00master

Looks bad, to be sure.

Carrier can be useful when you travel - you can easily see what network you are using, and easily refer to which networks have better reception for you.

Also for people with 2 iphones (work and home, for example) on 2 different carriers, this can be useful.

Agree its got limited usage, and probably should be able to be switched off, but its not entirely useless.

My carrier also only has 2 lower case letters, so it wouldnt look so terrible as T-Mobile

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Agreed with this. Btw... why does the carrier name need to even appear on the top?

So that when you're traveling someplace outside your carrier's coverage area, and/or if you are swapping SIMs, you know what carrier you've connected to. Can make a big $$ difference.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Question for developers who've downloaded the iOS 8 beta. How much of a refinement is this over iOS 7 in terms of aesthetics and usability? I

feel that iOS 7 very much has a beta feel to it. Hoping ios 8 improves upon whats already there instead of bringing more chaos.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
That is exactly what I was thinking too. A phone symbol on top of the current wifi symbol.

or get rid of the signal dots and replace them with a wifi-phone icon. Since you don't really need to know your cell signal then.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I haven't dug in much, but is there a way to disable WiFi calling ?

Have unlimited minutes, so don't need it.. Besides, I always drop calls on it when using my Note 3 [ same with VoLTE ]

r.c.valle

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
how does battery life hold up with you guys using a 5? I had beta 3 and forgot how much battery drains with earlier beta releases.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Why? Because that's how they been since the "stone age"?

No, to keep the menu area from becoming a cluttered mess… I thought that was obvious given the image I referenced. :confused:

They don't have to revert back to the previous bars; I was just poking fun at Apple's rare insistence on making a design less concise than before.

Jared-

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
This is phone SMS text messages (non iOS users) now appearing in your iMessage (ones that you normally would not see, since they were only sent to your phone number). You'll also need Yosemite for this to work.

I would think that your iPhone would have to be on the same WiFi network. (I can't imagine they're intercepting at the carrier.)

Gary

I'd imagine it'll be done using iCloud, so regardless if you're on the same wifi network or not, each device logged into the same iCloud account will receive the message. Of course the phone would have to be turned on so the initial text message can arrive on the phone before iCloud kicks in.

Not sure why it's so hard to understand what SMS relay means lol. Relay = handball, pass on, yada yada yada.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
It's interesting to think that an actual human designed the menu area here:

I hope Apple innovates a method of consolidating those dots into, say, thin vertical rectangles. They could even be called something like poles… or… bars. :rolleyes:

Well, you know Apple -- they like to think different, even to the detriment of usability at times.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
In any event yes 5GB of storage is close to stupid these days. Especially when the fees Apple wants to charge can easily buy TB of storage.

The prices are about to change - quite looking forward to that - my camera roll is a part of the iCloud backup these days = not been possible for a long time because of the low storage space

9453-1268-Screen-Shot-2014-06-07-at-33417-AM-l.png

banaslee

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I assume this is the last beta for iOS 8?

It's not. The swift language is due some improvements in following betas (they explicitly say that on xcode release notes) and with that some known issues on iOS should also be fixed.

We may get to beta 7 this time.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
SMS Relay is the biggest one for me. I'm glad Apple continues to take the stand against phone-only communication, unlike Microsoft with its totally lousy support for communication in Windows (no default email client, is this a joke??). I never want to be in the situation where I'm sitting in front of my Mac Pro with 2 screens and a keyboard and mouse but have to use an iPhone to send certain messages. It looks like Yosemite erases all possibilities of this happening.

Thanks to government interference and anti-competition court rulings, Microsoft have had to scale back and remove a lot of native applications. Even in the XP days Microsoft was forced to bundle a native email client, Messenger, Photo editor/organiser, Video editor as a separate optional download (Windows Live).

Here in Europe, the EU came within a whisker of forcing Microsoft to not have any web browser installed by default & media features stripped out (a compromise resulted in the Windows K & Windows KN versions).

I guess you need to educate yourself before talking utter nonsense based on no facts whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.