Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Agreed with this. Btw... why does the carrier name need to even appear on the top? Makes no sense to me. As an example, my work Android phone does not have this at all, so I know it can't be a "carrier mandated" thing. Apple, please get rid of the carrier name in the menu bar. It's totally unnecessary and redundant. The user *already knows* what carrier he/she belongs to!

hi. the carrier name appearing on the top is useful. why? because when you are traveling abroad, you'll find that it is actually important to know which carrier you are connected to. they might change suddenly, and one might charge way more.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Can you share files via HTTP Link in the new iCloud Drive (just like you can with Dropbox) ?

I've seen very little information about sharing (or lack of) with iCloud drive. I'm keen to migrate from Google Drive so I hope there are options to permanently share folders with friends & family. Have I missed this information or has nothing been said about it yet?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
hi. the carrier name appearing on the top is useful. why? because when you are traveling abroad, you'll find that it is actually important to know which carrier you are connected to. they might change suddenly, and one might charge way more.

Fine and dandy but give me the option to turn it off (default it on if it's a carrier requirement).

isteal

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2012
USA
This update seems to have broken email for me. I can no longer view attachments without opening them in another app. .Pdf attachments just open up as a white screen. :-/

ballsop

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
New Flyover for London

The city of london has been updated in maps to now have an (almost) finished 122 leadenhall street (the cheese grater) and 20 Fenchurch Street (the walkie talkie).

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
They don't need it. They have low-bandwidth spectrum. T-Mobile does not. That is why they have wifi calling so people can get service inside buildings.

There are plenty of areas where AT&T and/or Verizon don't have proper coverage yet. It's not uncommon for my family to stay places where coverage is not adequate for a decent quality cellphone call but there is decent wifi connected to a decent broadband connection. My wife used to have t-mobile and it was nice to be able to utilize the wifi-calling in such places.
In short, anything that would essentially increase coverage in more (remote) places, inside more buildings, etc... would be a welcome addition and could help everyone at some point or another. It's is a way for cellular carriers to essentially extend their network coverage without having to lay out a lot of extra infrastructure until they can get real towers and infrastructure to those locations.

therobotking

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
The prices are about to change - quite looking forward to that - my camera roll is a part of the iCloud backup these days = not been possible for a long time because of the low storage space

9453-1268-Screen-Shot-2014-06-07-at-33417-AM-l.png
I think that table makes everyone on it look bad. Apple for the low end, Google for the misleading 200GB row and Dropbox is just overpriced in all areas.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I can't imagine that it would simply drop the call... there has to be a seemless handoff.

That said though, you can enable and disable wifi calling if you don't want to use that feature.

I do want to, though. It's a huge feature for me, as I don't get signal in my home - and one of the main reasons I've considered switching to T-Mobile.

I suppose the situation can't be worse than it currently is, though.

appreviewme

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
What happens if I'm on wifi calling and leave my home's wifi coverage area?

(Not a developer, so I can't test it out myself)

I'm assuming it would then use the cellular network without dropping a call, similar to how changing towers work...but that is a HUGE assumption on my part. Kind of like when you are loading a web page on wifi, then turn it off and then LTE finishes the job without doing anything. Hopefully you can get in the field data to back up my assumption.

SIDE NOTE: I just downgraded my iCloud storage plan since it needs a renewal in a few weeks...would love to pay less money Apple to share my photos with the new pricing....but I know how long it takes to get cloud based solutions right at Apple. :\

----------

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The prices are about to change - quite looking forward to that - my camera roll is a part of the iCloud backup these days = not been possible for a long time because of the low storage space

Sorry but Microsoft kicks these to the curb. 1TB for each of 5 users with Office 365 home $99 per year or or one user for $70. Works great on all my Apple products.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Thanks to government interference and anti-competition court rulings, Microsoft have had to scale back and remove a lot of native applications. Even in the XP days Microsoft was forced to bundle a native email client, Messenger, Photo editor/organiser, Video editor as a separate optional download (Windows Live).

Here in Europe, the EU came within a whisker of forcing Microsoft to not have any web browser installed by default & media features stripped out (a compromise resulted in the Windows K & Windows KN versions).

I guess you need to educate yourself before talking utter nonsense based on no facts whatsoever.

Sorry, I don't live in Europe and wouldn't know of such laws that don't exist here in the US. Sounds like they'll ban Apple from iMessage and such eventually in Europe. And why does this matter anyway? Windows still has no built-in mail client; nobody cares why it doesn't.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Sorry, I don't live in Europe and wouldn't know of such laws that don't exist here in the US. Sounds like they'll ban Apple from iMessage and such eventually in Europe. And why does this matter anyway? Windows still has no built-in mail client; nobody cares why it doesn't.

I gave you the reason why!

I wasn't thinking clearly earlier, Windows 8.x DOES have built-in mail client via the modern app which kills your argument stone dead.

windows-8-mail1.png

nicecuppa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Is any body else having a problem with calling from a Mac via iPhone? i get this message...

iPhone unavailable
your iPhone is not configured

This feature was working fine in Beta 4.

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
Is any body else having a problem with calling from a Mac via iPhone? i get this message...

iPhone unavailable
your iPhone is not configured

This feature was working fine in Beta 4.

yes, same here from ipad and mac, funny, yesterday was working well...only thing was I had to turn off wifi calling for calls from mac/ipad, today i am gettin same message as you...weird

nicecuppa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
yes, same here from ipad and mac, funny, yesterday was working well...only thing was I had to turn off wifi calling for calls from mac/ipad, today i am gettin same message as you...weird

I have checked all settings on both mac and iPhone, i can't see a way to "configure".

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Can anyone tell me if the new keyboard in ios 8 can now learn words like on Android? Like a slang word or whatever? I really do love that about Android. Also can you select a dark theme???

The old dictionary has done this for a long time. It stopped marking slang words I used in everyday texts as incorrect a long time ago.

Unless you're asking if they can predict that you WANT to use a slang word, then I have no idea as I don't have access to the beta lol

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
My biggest issue with iOS7 was that, when in the music app, I would go to an artist and only want to select one of their albums, it would automatically play all of their music instead of just the album. I always thought an easy work around for this would be to just be able to tap the cover art and have THAT be the way to select just the one album. <- My two cents anyway

Can anyone tell me if this is any different in iOS8? It's actually a HUGE annoyance when I just want one album on repeat. It's easier to go to the artist list than the album list because it's much shorter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.