Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wow awesome list, I will be spending hours going through it. I'm having a very hard time converting from Android, I'm really missing my widget. I spent hours yesterday trying to replicate them, but with limited success.

email: I'd like a widget that shows all my recent emails that I can scroll up or down and just glance at the subject line. They don't have to be actionable, but that would be nice. The stock email widget only lets you do VIP, I've tried various other ones and most don't even have widgets. On Android a comparable widget would be bluemail, although there are many other email widgets.

Calendar: Something that shows month view with each appointment, the entire month. I've gotten pretty close with WidgetCal, but the only issue is that it opens their own calendar which is horrible and there is no option to open the stock calendar or another one.

Google voice: Same as email, on Android I have a widget that I can scroll through my message/calls. While I'm dreaming it would be nice to have a dialer as well, since GV can't integrate into the phone app.

iMessage: Would be nice to have a widget you can see you recent messages in, and scroll through them and be able to respond to.

icam viewer pro: On Android it has a widget of a live camera feed, that was very useful. Would love to see this.

Oh and has anyone else noticed that putting Settings as a shortcut with some of the various launchers doesn't work? I'm assuming something changed in iOS10 and they haven't been updated yet. I'd love to have a launcher shortcut for Settings. I'm surprised Apple hasn't incorporated a settings button in the swipe up menu or something.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Wow awesome list, I will be spending hours going through it.

Calendar: Something that shows month view with each appointment, the entire month. I've gotten pretty close with WidgetCal, but the only issue is that it opens their own calendar which is horrible and there is no option to open the stock calendar or another one.

You are welcome :)

I'm a user of the list view not month view and I use and love Events Widget in which you can set your own URL scheme to e.g. my favorite calendar app WeekCalendar to open or add an appointment. However to open an appointment it unfortunately still uses their own view though instead of switching to your own favorite calendar app as well. Another great one which does have a month view option although I can't find it in the settings in the app. This app is called: Agenda: Widget+ which also recently updated their app to support iOS10 and have travel time support (Apple calendar only I think, it doesn't work with other third party travel time apps like WeekCalendar or miCal see also my old blog post about that.

Oh and has anyone else noticed that putting Settings as a shortcut with some of the various launchers doesn't work? I'm assuming something changed in iOS10 and they haven't been updated yet. I'd love to have a launcher shortcut for Settings. I'm surprised Apple hasn't incorporated a settings button in the swipe up menu or something.

Yup it really sucks that Apple removed this functionality in iOS10. Although someone received a response from Apple during one of the latest betas that the functionality would return again but that isn't the case yet. See also this blog from the Launcher developer and this Launcher topic.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Wow awesome list, I will be spending hours going through it. I'm having a very hard time converting from Android, I'm really missing my widget. I spent hours yesterday trying to replicate them, but with limited success.

email: I'd like a widget that shows all my recent emails that I can scroll up or down and just glance at the subject line. They don't have to be actionable, but that would be nice. The stock email widget only lets you do VIP, I've tried various other ones and most don't even have widgets. On Android a comparable widget would be bluemail, although there are many other email widgets.

Google voice: Same as email, on Android I have a widget that I can scroll through my message/calls. While I'm dreaming it would be nice to have a dialer as well, since GV can't integrate into the phone app.

iMessage: Would be nice to have a widget you can see you recent messages in, and scroll through them and be able to respond to.

icam viewer pro: On Android it has a widget of a live camera feed, that was very useful. Would love to see this.

Yeah, Apple removed the ability for all settings, contacts, clock app, and voice memo. My guess is because you could access these from the lock screen.

Reactions: spinedoc77

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, Apple removed the ability for all settings, contacts, clock app, and voice memo. My guess is because you could access these from the lock screen.
Could those be accessed from the lock screen?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Hard to know Apple's motivations. Someone may have simply gotten a wild hair up their nose and decided it was a security thing, which it really isn't, since it's just a shortcut and one would have to unlock the phone. Really do hope Apple reverses course on that.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

How then? The reasons that I didn't upgrade to iOS10 is that I would then be no longer able to quickly access my Settings to e.g. WIFI and Bluetooth devices (not on/off) among others and that you can swipe the widgets open quickly from each app (in one swipe).

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
How then? The reasons that I didn't upgrade to iOS10 is that I would then be no longer able to quickly access my Settings to e.g. WIFI and Bluetooth devices (not on/off) among others and that you can swipe the widgets open quickly from each app (in one swipe).

You can still swipe down from any app to get straight to your widgets.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
But isn't it then in iOS10 first showing notifications and that you then need to swipe again to left or right to get the widgets? So an extra step right?

It remains on the last tab you use so if you leave it on widgets, that is what will always display when you pull down.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
You are describing iOS 9. In iOS 10, when swiping down it always defaults to showing notifications, requiring the extra swipe to get to widgets. Very unfortunate.

It remains on the last tab you use so if you leave it on widgets, that is what will always display when you pull down.

Reactions: pacorob

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
You are describing iOS 9. In iOS 10, when swiping down it always defaults to showing notifications, requiring the extra swipe to get to widgets. Very unfortunate.

I apologise, you are correct. I was pretty sure it was sticking with the today widget.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Another thing which is why I've sticked to iOS9. I hope this gets resolved/ give the user the option to choose in settings.

I've noticed this as well the other day while i was checking the new iPhone 7 and iOS 10 at the shop, and its really annoying coz i use the widgets on a daily bases. Hope they will give the option on the next iOS update to choose what will come first when you swiping down (today\widgets or notifications), or at least it will stay on the last "tab" you used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.