Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I have 12 GB of downloaded apps. I always backed them up using iTunes transfer purchases option.

Now that option has been taken away from us by Apple, what are our other options?

By the time iOS 9.2 or whatever future iOS release, most of the 12 GB apps would have already been updated so transferring those apps would be useless. Also I will not be able to copy existing apps from my iPad to pc.

So if I have to DFU restore my iPad, I have to download 12 GB apps all over again each amd every time I test a new beta or final version? There are 4 iDevices in our house and this one's a bugger.

Having 50 GB data cap by my ISP is not helping.

I would say F*** app thinning bu**s***. I want normal app sync back!!

Reactions: dk001

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
If all your apps are downloaded and updated to the latest version on iTunes, when you restore from a backup it will copy them automatically, like it previously did. The only problem is that you now have to update the apps on iTunes manually, because it does not automatically transfer the updated version of an app you downloaded to your phone, when you do a sync on iTunes...

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
If all your apps are downloaded and updated to the latest version on iTunes, when you restore from a backup it will copy them automatically, like it previously did. The only problem is that you now have to update the apps on iTunes manually, because it does not automatically transfer the updated version of an app you downloaded to your phone, when you do a sync on iTunes...
That IS my problem my friend.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Go to a cafe, grab a coffee and use their wifi. It's not like you're going to do fresh installs every second day anyway.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Go to a cafe, grab a coffee and use their wifi. It's not like you're going to do fresh installs every second day anyway.
Unfortunately most coffee shops here have 256 kbps free wifi including Starbucks. :(

But full marks for your snooty reply.

Reactions: Strutten

Veldhuis

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
I have 12 GB of downloaded apps. I always backed them up using iTunes transfer purchases option.

Now that option has been taken away from us by Apple, what are our other options?

The option is still there for me. File -> Devices still shows it.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Can't you install the apps from iTunes to iOS? They may be obsolete version, though.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I don't understand. After you update your apps in iTunes, won't the updated versions automatically sync when you backup your iPhone or iPad?

Reactions: solodogg

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Can't you update all of your Apps from inside iTunes (without even connecting your phone?)
Updating apps in iTunes downloads the whole app. While updating app on iPhone or iPad is a delta update.
Time and bandwidth are considerably saved if updated apps on iPhone are transferred over to iTunes. I guess most people do this to save bandwidth.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I don't understand. After you update your apps in iTunes, won't the updated versions automatically sync when you backup your iPhone or iPad?

No, they don't anymore.

I've had this happen a couple of times over the years and it was happening for the last week. I got it working again by checking the "automatically install new ... apps" go under the app list on the Apps page (under Summary) of my iPad. Click apply then click sync. I then unchecked the box (because I don't want every app that someone in the family purchases automatically installed) and clicked apply then sync. I had to do this a couple of times but it fixed whatever was keeping the iPad from updating apps on the iPad that had been updated on the Mac in iTunes. Hope this is reasonably clear and works for you, too.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
It's not really very clear. Perhaps you could describe the process step by step.

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
No, they don't anymore.

What the heck is the point of that? Why force people to download things twice...? Doesn't that just cost them bandwidth?

Can you *manually* copy apple you've bought from your device to the computer, or not at all? Why on earth would the pull crap like this?

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
What the heck is the point of that? Why force people to download things twice...? Doesn't that just cost them bandwidth?

Can you *manually* copy apple you've bought from your device to the computer, or not at all? Why on earth would the pull crap like this?
Because space is precious on iOS devices, so App Thinning ensures only the required resources are downloaded for that specific device. Conversely, if you were to sync that app from your iOS device back to iTunes, it wouldn't be a complete package for that app, only the components for the device it synced from.

I think you guys are getting mad about the wrong aspect of this. The question you should be asking is, why doesn't iTunes look at the current version of the app it has and then only download a delta update to the latest version just like iOS devices have been doing for a long time?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Are you sure that if you update an app on iphone its only a delta update and not installing a new version?

Also, are there apps taking advantage of app thinning yet? I haven't seen any of the apps mention that feature. I think app thinning makes much more sense for games and other apps over 200MB where app thinning could save considerable space. For most productivity apps (~50MB) the gains may not be enough.

Updating apps in iTunes downloads the whole app. While updating app on iPhone or iPad is a delta update.
Time and bandwidth are considerably saved if updated apps on iPhone are transferred over to iTunes. I guess most people do this to save bandwidth.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i absolutely hate it. it took me 4 hours to restore my iPhone the other day oppose to the usual half hour

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
This concerns me greatly. I have 6S Plus preordered to replace my 6. I fear that this issue will render my local backup data on iTunes useless since I'm going to have to redownload huge amount of apps I have installed over the years. And I totally have to say goodbye to some datas stored on apps I have updated over the course of iOS 9 beta because they almost certainly won't be transferred over to my new phone.

Frustrating and enfuriating.

Diego F.

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Spain
Well, I see more benefits in app thinning, saving space in our devices than avoiding manually updating iTunes Apps. You have a button to upgrade all apps, so it's not that disturbing.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
For someone like me who lives in a country with very limited internet access and/or expensive data package over cellular network, that option is not a solution. Prior to iOS 9, I could just download update on one of my iOS devices, sync to iTunes and I can update my other iOS device just by syncing with iTunes. That option is no longer available.

Plus once my 6S Plus arrives, what then? Restore from backup? What exactly got backed up by iTunes nowadays? iOS related data only I imagine. I have hundreds of apps installed and some of them are no longer available on App Store though I still frequently use them. Sorry, but though it's convenient and may not disturb some of you, please don't dismiss the fact that this issue does disturb others. You can have a peep at Apple's official discussion forum to see how many got angered by this particular issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.