Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mika74

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I can live with updating the apps in iTunes too (it's not fine but it's ok) but if I buy an app on iPhone I must remember to download it on iTunes too to have it in my library for backup. It's ridiculous! I still think this must be a bug.

mika74

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I don't believe that. The function is still present in iTunes. It just don't work.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
Well, following the discussion in that link I gave, someone spotted that it does work for iDevices running iOS other than 9. Once you have iOS 9.x.x installed on your device, the app slicing/thinning feature kicks in and iTunes won't sync your apps due to your device not having the full app installed thus not recognized as a whole app.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
Why aren't you people just using iCloud backup? I don't get it. I stopped backing up to my laptop years ago.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
Dunno.. I can only hope you are right.

EJ8, because it's not a feasible option for everyone worldwide. In some countries, data packages are so expensive and good internet connection is scarce in some areas as well. Plus you have to be connected to a wifi network. Downloading 2GB worth of backup on a new iDevice is just plain silly when you can simply plug your phone/pad to your computer and it does the same job basically for free. If (relatively) cheap and fast wifi connection is available in my country I would definitely backup my devices on iCloud.

More on point:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...sfer-purchases-from-iphone-to-itunes-in-ios-9

Last edited:

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
OK, so I'm not as hi-tech as most of the people posting on this thread. Are you saying that if I download app upgrades on iTunes and then sync my iPhone or iPad, the upgrades won't be installed automatically? If not, what do I have to do to make sure I have the latest upgraded apps?

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
My big issue is I cleared out all my apps from iTunes. However now I cannot transfer the apps back to iTunes. Flipping annoying!

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The question you should be asking is, why doesn't iTunes look at the current version of the app it has and then only download a delta update to the latest version just like iOS devices have been doing for a long time?
Because iTunes is used for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch which are all different kinds of devices. Not to mention that iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch have various models. It would mean that iTunes would need to do the same thing the App Store is doing. Simply put, it would require you to run your own App Store proxy.

I'd rather see them simply back up whatever is on the devices that you hook up to iTunes and have iTunes update all those components when you hit the update button. Could take up a bit more disk space but hey, when you use multiple iOS devices that already happens due to each device having its own backup set.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I just spoke with Apple Customer care rep in India.
He said that Apple has deliberately disabled transfer of Apps (Apps syncing) from iOS 9 Beta 5 onwards till iOS 9.0.1 to stop spreading of malware which was propagating through the app store. Something to do with malware infected version of XCode uploaded to Chinese servers few months back.

According to his senior, App sync will be back from iOS 9.0.2 which should drop anytime soon. (No time frame could be given on that)

Hopefully it is what he said and we get our app sync back. Can't wait for that.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
as i said, we need to complain to apple, not here, like during the camera roll fiasco, or nothing will happen..

ill believe thats "coming back" & that fast, when/if it comes back, seems too simple to be true, more like another typical case of phone reps not being properly informed. its still not working on ios 9.1 beta 2 either..

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
He said that Apple has deliberately disabled transfer of Apps (Apps syncing) from iOS 9 Beta 5 onwards till iOS 9.0.1 to stop spreading of malware which was propagating through the app store. Something to do with malware infected version of XCode uploaded to Chinese servers few months back.

So... why couldn't Apple themselves say that when the malware story broke? Or are they just using the malware story to reintroduce a useful feature without them seeming to have done a u-turn?

#conspiracy
Gary

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Lol.. All I want is a way to backup (and that means a copy, dang it) of *everything* on my phone, iPad, whatever. And all I get (from Apple and some vendors) is whining about it will take too much space, or something. My 128 is about half full and it took me several days this time to get my 6s Plus back to somewhere about where I had it on my 6 Plus. 64 GB on a 1 TB drive is not a hardship.

(Apps taking forever to download, not in folders for some reason... quite a mess.)

So, is there a *real* reason this can't be done, or is this another 'make it simpler' for the poor stupid user? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.