Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itbeme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Just upgraded to IOS 9 and thus far a dud. Huge marketing blah, blah and light on the real substance and features that actually work. Split Screen ? Half of the apps don't support it. The other half of the time there is some kind of bug with slide over (the side slider menu won't quit, I have to go back to the main app, then relaunch the slider and then the sliding (right hand side only) will quit.

Right side only - no ability to mute-task by placing let's say the small sliding window on the left - can only do that on the right. Then there are all of these new features I don't need designed to enable me make sure I know where my "friends" are and let's say if they're going to the bathroom at 3:15pm (I must be kept aware of that).

Slow, clunky, buggy. Sorry, but I'll join the ranks of folks who feel that Apple's "dazzle me" innovation faded after Steve Jobs tail wind winded down. I was expecting IOS 9 to be a significant step forward. Not.

iPad pro (which I want badly to be a killer) - I'll wait and see. However, Microsoft Surface already ahead - or so it seems. Apple has me locked into their ecosystem - which for the most part I like, but Apple - cutting edge ? No more.

lolbie

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
apple is for a clean good working lay-out with no special needs added ( well a few )

If you want to modify your iphone you have to jailbreak

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As with anything and petty much everything in life, there will be some who like it and some that don't.

Reactions: aristobrat

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Speaking as a happy iPhone 6 user with the latest firmware, I'm a tad disappointed that 3D Touch can't/won't be adapted to the standard 6 & 6+ when it can be easily done with a shorter hold of an icon (similar action if you wanted to delete an app but with a shorter hold. Continue to hold if you want to delete the app)

Hope this semi-rant makes sense.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Speaking as a happy iPhone 6 user with the latest firmware, I'm a tad disappointed that 3D Touch can't/won't be adapted to the standard 6 & 6+ when it can be easily done with a shorter hold of an icon (similar action if you wanted to delete an app but with a shorter hold. Continue to hold if you want to delete the app)

Makes perfect sense. I guess apple could have adapted the methodology, but I wonder if it would play havoc with common things, like scrolling through safari, when one would tend to keep their finger on the screen for long periods of time.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Makes perfect sense. I guess apple could have adapted the methodology, but I wonder if it would play havoc with common things, like scrolling through safari, when one would tend to keep their finger on the screen for long periods of time.

The long press multi function. Wonder who holds that patent.

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Can only speculate why apple didn't do it to begin with; seems obvious now that it's being discussed. :)

What's obvious is that Apple is a company whose primary goal is to sell hardware. They don't backport anything so people have to upgrade to the newer devices to get the newer features.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What's obvious is that Apple is a company whose primary goal is to sell hardware. They don't backport anything so people have to upgrade to the newer devices to get the newer features.
Isn't that the business they are in similar to Samsung?

But what should they backport? Windows works the same way, except it deals with cpu features. Windows 7 will happily run on a computer without hyperthreading and sse instruction and the new encryption instructions. Install W7 on a late model core i7, they will happily use those instructions. Windows has thousands of *.inf files built in to identify hardware. Same with IOS except apple has different releases for different hardware. Of course IOS is fragmented, apple moves the common features across the line and hardware dependent features fragment the o/s.

Did I miss your point?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

But to be fair here, neither do any of the Android manufacturers. You can't EVEN get the latest version of their OS for some/many devices.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014

Nice thinking but this won't work. Try telling someone who's not savvy you have to touch an icon for x amount of seconds for a pop up menu or peek/pop and a longer touch for icon rearrange.

Besides that, how will this actually work? If you touch the icon and hold how does the phone know if you're trying to invoke the menu, peek/pop or icon rearrange? You say a short hold vs a long hold but do you really think people are going to learn how many seconds to hold for both?

The current implementation for icon rearrange is you just hold until it shakes or for 3D Touch you just press. Much easier to remember than what you suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: username:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Split Screen ? Half of the apps don't support it.

Give it a bit more time. The developers need to upgrade their apps to support Slide Over / Split View, Picture and Picture or other great iOS9 features.

I agree that more apps should support the iOS9 features but let's give them some time. These are already updated to take use of the great features.

I'm i already satisfied with iOS9/9.1 beta no definitely not.
I'm running 9.0.2 on my iPad mini2 and do have a very sluggish/lag when i tried to use Spotlight search especially when using a third party keyboard like Swype. I do hope that they resolve this soon. My iPhone 5s is running 9.1 beta 5 and is working much more smooth but the 3rd party keyboard stutter with Spotlight search remains.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013

Yeah this would not work at all. Three Dimensional touch adds another dimension in space, not in time.

Pushing down is completely different to pushing for X time. Much easier to understand (just push down).

Also if you were to hold for say 1.5 seconds and got into peek, how then do you progress to pop into whatever you are peeking at? With 3D Touch you press down again. Without it... It does not work. Just think about it.

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
I guess you didn't hear about a TEST Windows Update released a few weeks ago. Some people installed it and it messed up their Windows installs.

You pointed out the key word there. Test. They were on the fast ring of the insider program. That's a beta program. Their fault for using win 10 betas on their primary machines. Same goes with apple and their beta program.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You pointed out the key word there. Test. They were on the fast ring of the insider program. That's a beta program. Their fault for using win 10 betas on their primary machines. Same goes with apple and their beta program.

Nope, it was on Windows 7. No fast or slow rings. WSUS got it and client installs of Windows 7 got it.

My point is, even Microsoft makes mistakes (and they have been doing a lot of them these days too). It is not just Apple that is having issues lately. That is a major issue with QC having a test update that users have reported messed up their install.

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
Nope, it was on Windows 7. No fast or slow rings. WSUS got it and client installs of Windows 7 got it.

My point is, even Microsoft makes mistakes (and they have been doing a lot of them these days too). It is not just Apple that is having issues lately. That is a major issue with QC having a test update that users have reported messed up their install.

Windows 7 isn't getting "test" release updates anymore and they've never been available to the general public so either way, they knew the risks running beta software. Betas are designed specifically to find these issues.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Windows 7 isn't getting "test" release updates anymore and they've never been available to the general public so either way, they knew the risks running beta software. Betas are designed specifically to find these issues.

Check your facts. This was everywhere. Microsoft mistakenly released a TEST update to live Windows Update servers. Some people installed it and it caused issues.

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...uspicious-windows-update-delivered-worldwide/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2987...es-windows-7-test-patch-freaks-out-users.html
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-accidentally-issued-a-test-windows-update-patch/

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Nice thinking but this won't work. Try telling someone who's not savvy you have to touch an icon for x amount of seconds for a pop up menu or peek/pop and a longer touch for icon rearrange.

Besides that, how will this actually work? If you touch the icon and hold how does the phone know if you're trying to invoke the menu, peek/pop or icon rearrange? You say a short hold vs a long hold but do you really think people are going to learn how many seconds to hold for both?

The current implementation for icon rearrange is you just hold until it shakes or for 3D Touch you just press. Much easier to remember than what you suggest.

…or they just put "Rearrange icons" in the pop-up menu. Problem solved!

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013

I suppose those issues could be addressed inside of settings where preset time choices or better yet make your own time choice would be a work around. As often said in life there is always more than one way to skin a cat. No harm intended.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.