Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia

From your own articles:

"As it turns out, the “patch” was totally harmless, although it certainly caused some angst among the small group of users that posted to the support thread, who wondered if the Windows Update service was itself compromised. Fortunately, it wasn’t."

"The patch is thought to have been pushed through consumer machines running Windows 7. Enterprise users running Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) don't seem to be affected."

So you're wrong on all accounts except that an update was pushed through accidentally.

The update had NO affect on anyone's computer (except ONE person who both articles have quoted...couldn't even do a system restore? More likely something the user has done to screw up his system, not a 4.3MB test update. Had the update actually affected core Windows files to the level of screwing up the entire system such that a system restore wouldn't even work this consequence would be much more widespread than one user).

You're also wrong when you stated even WSUS users got pushed the patch. Not what your articles said.

If you're going to try and prove people wrong by pasting articles, at least make sure you read the article and make sure it doesn't prove YOU wrong first.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
From your own articles:

"As it turns out, the “patch” was totally harmless, although it certainly caused some angst among the small group of users that posted to the support thread, who wondered if the Windows Update service was itself compromised. Fortunately, it wasn’t."

"The patch is thought to have been pushed through consumer machines running Windows 7. Enterprise users running Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) don't seem to be affected."

So you're wrong on all accounts except that an update was pushed through accidentally.

The update had NO affect on anyone's computer (except ONE person who both articles have quoted...couldn't even do a system restore? More likely something the user has done to screw up his system, not a 4.3MB test update. Had the update actually affected core Windows files to the level of screwing up the entire system such that a system restore wouldn't even work this consequence would be much more widespread than one user).

You're also wrong when you stated even WSUS users got pushed the patch. Not what your articles said.

If you're going to try and prove people wrong by pasting articles, at least make sure you read the article and make sure it doesn't prove YOU wrong first.

How am I wrong? You said MS never releases test updates to Windows. I posted articles that they mistakenly posted a TEST update. I proved I was right. And yes, there were a couple reports (two articles) that it did mess up someone's install.

You said:

Windows 7 isn't getting "test" release updates anymore and they've never been available to the general public so either way, they knew the risks running beta software. Betas are designed specifically to find these issues.

Which I replied to saying:

Which proves you wrong that, mistake or not, Windows 7 users DID receive a test update. And yes, we know of ONE guy that REPORTED that he downloaded it. They were not running beta software. How is what I said wrong?

Whether it is the user's error or the update, we will never know. It could very well be the update that caused his issues.

Yes, one person (both articles so I thought it was two people). The point it, it did cause an issue for somebody. More importantly, the point is Microsoft is not immune to mistakes.

Um, the PC world image is from WSUS. That interface is actually WSUS where you can approve updates, see what computers have it, and so on. So yes, it was in WSUS.

Also, there were reports that the Windows 10 upgrade STARTED automatically. You could still hit cancel, but it was yet another mistake by Microsoft.

So don't just say only Apple have been making mistakes lately.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
for 3d touch their is a tweak that does a "peek" depending on how much of your finger is pressed onto the screen and then "pop" if you press harder and more of your finger is in contact with the screen.

Sounds exactly like what needs to be done when using the actual 3d touch but really isn't the same experience.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Windows - that OS that has 10-15 updates every month - sure better and more secure. HA HA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.