Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honemch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
My wife and I have shared an iCloud account since the beginning. Now that we have updated to iOS 9, our call log is shared. Anyway to fix that?

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
Don't share an iCloud account. Sorry, but that's the only answer. They're meant for one person, several devices. You can try to tune it and what it syncs in the settings but in general, it's one account per person.
If it helps, you can actually sign in with a second for certain things, like notes, contacts, calendars, etc.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Don't share an iCloud account. Sorry, but that's the only answer. They're meant for one person, several devices. You can try to tune it and what it syncs in the settings but in general, it's one account per person.
If it helps, you can actually sign in with a second for certain things, like notes, contacts, calendars, etc.
Crappy answer. They may have gotten moderately better, but sharing content amongst a family blows. And the gimped, jacked up family sharing isn't the answer for everyone.

I lot of us do this and don't appreciate Apple yet again telling us we are using it wrong. If enough of your customers are doing this, then you designed it wrong. Which isn't surprising since Apple has traditionally until very recently pretended families didn't exist and that everyone just exists singly drifting along attached to nothing.

It was bad enough when they made our phones ring with each other's phone calls on wifi with that continuity/handoff update.

Edit: This may actually be a handoff thing and not iOS 9? If so we just turned off handoff.

:) /endrant

Reactions: dk001 and kkdool

kkdool

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Same problem here. I have turned off Handoff but it still happens.
I signed out of FaceTime and Messages on one of the iPhones and am waiting to see what happens.
Would love a solution

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Crappy answer. They may have gotten moderately better, but sharing content amongst a family blows. And the gimped, jacked up family sharing isn't the answer for everyone.

I lot of us do this and don't appreciate Apple yet again telling us we are using it wrong. If enough of your customers are doing this, then you designed it wrong. Which isn't surprising since Apple has traditionally until very recently pretended families didn't exist and that everyone just exists singly drifting along attached to nothing.

It was bad enough when they made our phones ring with each other's phone calls on wifi with that continuity/handoff update.

So your saying pirating software is becoming too inconvenient for you because the the added conveniences of call log sharing provided to user using the software as intended? Hmp

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Edit: This may actually be a handoff thing and not iOS 9? If so we just turned off handoff.

Well, crappy or not, it's the real answer. Someone agreeing with you that it would be great if it didn't do that now in iOS 9 doesn't give you an answer or change anything, right?

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Well, crappy or not, it's the real answer. Someone agreeing with you that it would be great if it didn't do that now in iOS 9 doesn't give you an answer or change anything, right?
That's what everyone said every other time an iCloud conflict came up. Always worked around it.

I'd be more interested in confirmation that this is an iOS 9 specific inclusion and then what the workaround is. I'm less inclined to take as gospel the musings of someone that registered this year.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's what everyone said every other time an iCloud conflict came up. Always worked around it.

I'd be more interested in confirmation that this is an iOS 9 specific inclusion and then what the workaround is.
Well, hopefully you'll find a way to work around it. That said, the OP does specifically ask for a way to fix it (and nothing about confirmation), so in that respect someone pointing out a way to fix it (even if that doesn't end up being the way someone would want to do it) seems fitting.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA

Well, if it makes you feel better, you can still use your same AppleID for iTunes and App Store purchases (iCloud is for data sync, not so much for purchases) as those are still separate settings. So, you two can use ONE AppleID for purchases (Settings, App Store and iTunes Store) and each have your own info for iCloud (Settings, iCloud) data like calls, messages, email, contacts, calendars, etc... the 'personal' stuff. Just trying to help.
"Everyone else does it" stopped working when I was about 7... truly, there are legal and privacy implications that, as a corporation, they must abide by for reasons bigger than either of us.

jamesgf

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
I had the same issue between my daughters phone and mine with iOS 8. If I remember correctly turning off iPhone cellular calls under FaceTime settings got rid of it. Not sure if it works under iOS 9 still.

Reactions: wmmfcr

Mufaddal

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Chicago
Family sharing has worked incredibly well for us. Being able to purchase a movie or app and seamlessly share them amongst our devices.

While still keeping some photos, iMessages, calls etc separate.

I'd take everyone's suggestions and go that route. That's your true solution.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
I've read too many reviews about the "well, but" problems with family sharing. The kind of issues I've read about are exactly the things that would drive me away. And it still doesn't fix my main gripe with shared photos.

Well, you can always just turn iCloud off entirely. It is an option and aside for any additional storage you may be paying for based on need, it's a free service. Although the majority of people take advantage of it and it's driving in that direction, you can indeed cut iCloud completely out of your life, if you desire.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2613?locale=en_US

Then, you can go back to syncing independently like we did prior to 2007 eliminating any data 'cross-talk'. Many people do not realize that this is actually an option since the iTunes settings don't show if you're using iCloud. Once it's disabled, however, you'll see options for syncing contacts, calendars, etc. in iTunes just like before.

Reactions: dk001 and balamw

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I had the same issue between my daughters phone and mine with iOS 8. If I remember correctly turning off iPhone cellular calls under FaceTime settings got rid of it. Not sure if it works under iOS 9 still.
I think you are right. This sounds familiar

jamesgf

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
BitTorrent? Merely sharing apps between users from one purchase is pirating. But that's besides the point and what someone teaches their kids is right from wrong is not the business of an idiot such as myself.

Pictures? Shared photo stream works fine, even on older devices like a 4S (what I was using when I started with it). I'm in a family album with 400+ photos and a friends album with 1800+ photos. If anything it's easily more reliable then photos seeding across devices because it operates independently.

Pictures seems like a weird thing to mention anyway. So your family share a single album? Meaning if your wife takes a picture of a recipe you have to look at it? At dinner do you guys go through the album deleting stuff that was just temporary to avoid anyone getting angry their pictures were deleted by someone else? Man, if anything this is a reason to have separate accounts.

Is their any other content you share that requires being on the same account?
Does find my phone work the same when way when using using two Apple ids that are linked via family share? We use it all the time to find out where each other is. Also helped when her phone was stolen and the police went over got it back from the thief.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Does find my phone work the same when way when using using two Apple ids that are linked via family share? We use it all the time to find out where each other is. Also helped when her phone was stolen and the police went over got it back from the thief.

Find iPhone works independently regardless. For example if you walked up to me on the street I could use the find phone app to locate your iPhone. Or you could use iCloud.com from any computer. Both require a log in separately regardless of the appleid on the device it's used on.

Reactions: Rok73

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Well, if it makes you feel better, you can still use your same AppleID for iTunes and App Store purchases (iCloud is for data sync, not so much for purchases) as those are still separate settings. So, you two can use ONE AppleID for purchases (Settings, App Store and iTunes Store) and each have your own info for iCloud (Settings, iCloud) data like calls, messages, email, contacts, calendars, etc... the 'personal' stuff. Just trying to help.

Doesn't fix my problem. Been over this with geniuses before.

"Everyone else does it" stopped working when I was about 7... truly, there are legal and privacy implications that, as a corporation, they must abide by for reasons bigger than either of us.

Perhaps I was unclear. I wasn't referring to "piracy" when I was talking about everyone doing it. But rather the convenience of sharing iCloud and the fact that many people do it because apple arrogantly refused to properly address the needs of families for so long. Unfortunately, Family sharing just doesn't cut it so far. See above reading my views of conflating sharing an iCloud account and piracy.

I know I'm being somewhat of a tool here, but this is such a huge whiff from Apple on a fundamental concept that it just reminds us of how arrogant they are in insisting we need to use everything precisely the way they design it.

I do still like iCloud in general and am happy to just make the adjustments I need to make it work for us.

But just research something as simple as wanting to share an iCloud Photo Library with a family and you will get a taste of the idiocy/arrogance that is Apple.

Last edited:

jamesgf

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
I thought you can sign in separately for iTunes/App Store and iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime?

An example would be the following:

ID 1 is for one person and also signed into iTunes/App Store as the main account

ID 2 is signed into iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime and then signs into iTunes/App Store using ID 1's account for joint purchases etc, keeping all else separate.

Or has this been made easier now with family share? Also not condoning piracy, this is convenient to use with your kids.

Reactions: Command

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
I thought you can sign in separately for iTunes/App Store and iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime?

ID 1 is for one person and also signed into iTunes/App Store as the main account

ID 2 is signed into iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime and then signs into iTunes/App Store using ID 1's account for joint purchases etc, keeping all else separate.

Or has this been made easier now with family share? Also not condoning piracy, this is convenient to use with your kids.

You're right, you can. That's what I had mentioned. He said that would not do what he needs, however.

Reactions: centauratlas

kkdool

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

I signed out of my iCloud account on iMessage and FaceTime on my wife's iPhone so her iMessage and FaceTime is activated by her mobile number and has no iCloud account associated with it, and it seems to have fixed the issue. I no longer get her call history and vice versa.

Family sharing is great but pointless for us as we share our entire Photo library on both iPhones, iPad and our Mac's. (I don't think Family Sharing can do that)

My wife has her own iCloud account as secondary on her iPhone which syncs her contacts etc, but has mine as Primary only for the Photos and Backup as I have more storage.

EDIT: Worked for all of 12 hours. Doesn't work

Last edited:

Honemch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Creating a second Apple ID is the obvious solution, but as my wife and I are in the same business, we like our contacts and calendars synced. We also like having the same photo stream so we can enjoy each others photos of the kids. If I were two create a second apple ID, is there a way to set up the phone to still sync those things?

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010

Bingo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.